77-79 Style Punk Rock For Corroseum Metalheads

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
bigfootkit

Re: 77-79 Style Punk Rock For Corroseum Metalheads

Post by bigfootkit »

I can hear what you mean about La Peste sharing some musical DNA with Fu Manchu. Just a little judicious fuzz pedal use would have sealed the comparison.
Tone's an interesting area of exploration. In a punk context, the Pistols' wall of guitars understandibly seemed to be what many of the 77-79 bands were aiming for, but most didn't have the means or expertise to achieve that goal, and were left often with something quite different instead. If they were lucky they achieved a sound that worked in their favour, usually as much by accident as by design, but just as in the old Metal scene the unique sounds on those vintage releases weren't always properly appreciated at the time.
Tonally, one of my favorites is The Suicide Commandos 'Make A Record' album, which is a bit different musically from the area of Punk we've been celebrating up to this point, but is a great overlooked release with a unique atmosphere. The writing & playing was also in a different class to what most of 'the competition' were capable of at the time. Still sounds great today.

SUICIDE COMMANDOS - Mosquito Crucifixion (1978)

An honourable mention for 'The Dicks Hate The Police' by The Dicks which has an oddly brittle guitar sound which i'm sure was accidental, but which really makes the song, adding a growing tension to the sound as the song barrels towards it's conclusion. Works perfectly. Also somewhat predicts the direction Punk would soon move in as it morphed into hardcore.
'Mommy. mommy, mommy...take a look at your son!'

THE DICKS - The Dicks Hate The Police (1980)
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

Never listened to this Suicide Commandos LP, and that’s something I have to rectify asap!!!
The Dicks « Hate the police » is an amazing song, both musically and lyrically (If you can’t find justice, it’ll find you »). Just like « City slang », a pure chef d’oeuvre!
And talking about production, I love those old school recordings (both in punk and metal), when there wasn’t still a process to conform to and/or people didn’t know exactly how to get the sounds they were after. It brought so much varieties of sounds (and personnality to the music) and the luck factor might indeed have a great part in the whole thing.
Still more punk stuff that could please the Corroseum people, this time with 2 offerings from UK Raw Record:

Morbid Tapes

Post by Morbid Tapes »

This thread is slowly turning into a "best of KBD punk" thread, but no complaints on my end. Lots of great stuff mentioned — Lost Kids, Suicide Commandos, La Peste, Dicks... all that stuff rules. Here's another cool one that just came to mind, from Austria, 1979:

bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Kraignoss666 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:16 pm Never listened to this Suicide Commandos LP, and that’s something I have to rectify asap!!!
I love those old school recordings (both in punk and metal), when there wasn’t still a process to conform to and/or people didn’t know exactly how to get the sounds they were after. It brought so much varieties of sounds (and personnality to the music) and the luck factor might indeed have a great part in the whole thing.
Having seen what you've posted here i'm pretty sure you'll enjoy that SC LP.
Agree entirely that much of the most unique & enjoyable music in both styles appeared before the genre 'rules' were solidified & rigidly adhered to.
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

Morbid Tapes wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:06 am This thread is slowly turning into a "best of KBD punk" thread, but no complaints on my end. Lots of great stuff mentioned — Lost Kids, Suicide Commandos, La Peste, Dicks... all that stuff rules. Here's another cool one that just came to mind, from Austria, 1979:
Well, the first discussion about it would quite mathematicaly lead to that end: 1st class material of obscure stuff in the punk genre on the 77-79 area, which is exactly what the kbd whole thing is documenting. Guess we should indeed not continue to post things that can be found on the kbd site already mentioned before, and maybe we can consider there’s enough stuff to eventualy lead Corro members to dig in that direction if the things listed here please them?
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

Well, one last though… Don’t know how to deal with time stamps (and don’t want to know), just go to 10min14, and you’ll find a small wonder that is even better than the single version to me (heavier sound makes a difference):
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Kraignoss666 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:41 pmsmall wonder that is even better than the single version to me (heavier sound makes a difference)
Interesting to note the first 10 songs on that CD were recorded at Impulse Studios in Newcastlle, where much of the early Neat Records catalogue was also cut. Wonder if Cronos made the tea during these sessions?
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

As the podcast's tracklist finally been revealed i'll take the opportunity to share some more of The Enemies. This is their entire 6 song Mini LP/EP 'Products Of The Street' from 1980 & it's chock-full of great old school Punk Rock with plenty of guitar overkill just as i like it. Side 2 is a little more cultured but still great & if it wasn't for that last song with the unneccesary sax on it, it would be an almost perfect EP.

They also released two 45s, (one in '78, the other in '81), and then a few years back a full length retrospective anthology CD called '1978-1981', but i've yet to hear any of these.
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

Yep, you’re absolutely right about Impulse studios, many great music was made there!
The Enemies are really great, the first song made me thing of the most melodic stuff from the Testors (cf their single), will dig it deeper…
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Kraignoss666 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:22 pmthe first song made me thing of the most melodic stuff from the Testors (cf their single)
That's a good comparison, i totally hear it. Those gang backing vocals makes me think of early AC/DC too, though they were likely more Oi inspired. I'd love to know how they got the late great Marvel comics artist Gene Colan to do the cover art.
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

Comics imagery and records covers indeed have many connections, mostly within underground rock styles (misfits go well together).
Another one, probably more known to many, that I consider as frentic and full of energy, just like the first Saints, Damned…

This song is a banger, but the full « Do it dog style » LP is amazing, and this cover is pure perfection. I’m mad, I’m mad!!!!