Bands to collect next to Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol, Brocas Helm

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
sami78

Bands to collect next to Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol, Brocas Helm

Post by sami78 »

Hello Metalheads,

Can you give please bands to collect next to the likes of music style like Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol, Brocas Helm??

And some Epic-Heavy-Power Metal Cult bands too...

Thank you guys...

Good Riffs for you..
Priamos

Re: Bands to collect next to Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol, Brocas Helm

Post by Priamos »

Do you want only 80s bands or 90s and contemporary as well?
We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged...
mordred

Post by mordred »

Well, Warlord and Omen of course. From Europe, Dark Quarterer, Adramelch and Elixir.

From the 90's Solstice (New Dark Age) and Domine (Champion Eternal).

00's and onward, Doomsword, Ironsword and Atlantean Kodex to name a few.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

Apart from Mordred's recommendations:Old Yron, Max Planck, Rightful Heir, Demon Bitch, Illegal Bodies, Legionnaire, Ezra Brooks, Ceres, Fates Hand, Iron Brigade, Champion Eternal/Graven Rite, Savage Master, Flames of Hell (black metal meets Cirith Ungol), Battleroar , Legend (US), Smoulder, Iron Griffin , Tales of Medusa , David Clerest Project , Vultures Vengeance, Twisted Tower Dire, Wrathblade, Sons of Iniquity , Validor, Black Knight, Dark Age , Wyzard, MX (only OPM compilation), Salem's Wytch, Dammaj, Valkyrie, Ravensire, Brothers of Sword, Greywolf , Slough Feg...
...and shitload of more but I have to stop at some point! :D
Hans

Post by Hans »

Ironsword with the 2004 album, return of the warrior, you'll like it.
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

Damnit!! I can't restrain myself!! One more!! :lol:
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

sami78 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:05 am Hello Metalheads,

Can you give please bands to collect next to the likes of music style like Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol, Brocas Helm??

And some Epic-Heavy-Power Metal Cult bands too...

Thank you guys...

Good Riffs for you..
Concerning bands originating from the 80's, if you're looking to collect a hefty, "proper discography" of a fairly productive band, the only icon missing from that list (apart from the obvious ones like Manowar & Candlemass) is of course Warlord/Lordian Guard - and I really want to emphasize how important those Lordian Guard-releases are. They are possibly even more Epicer - maybe the Epicest Evah!? - than original Warlord. Except for the "Holy Empire" album of course. And also, absolute masterpieces.

After this there's mostly one-off oddities, rarities and bands that might have made One epic masterpiece and then dwindled off into the prog-hr/hm twillight zone, like Adramelch and Dark Quarterer for instance...

Recently I started adding Special Selections-buttons to the Rare Metal Archive on the site, including rare Doom, Thrash, Satanic bands etc... This thread inspired me to perhaps make an "Epic Metal"-selection as well ...stay tuned 8)
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Try Exidus, they are closest to early Manilla Road.
https://www.discogs.com/de/release/6032 ... r-Solution

@Priamos, comparing Flames of Hell to Cirith Ungol is sort of a crime! :roll: :shock:
It's Hellhammer meets Master's Hammer meets Venom :!: :wink:
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
J.

Post by J. »

Thanatos Inc. perhaps if you're talking Mystification/Out of the Abyss-era MR....
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

Prowler wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:44 am Try Exidus, they are closest to early Manilla Road.
https://www.discogs.com/de/release/6032 ... r-Solution

@Priamos, comparing Flames of Hell to Cirith Ungol is sort of a crime! :roll: :shock:
It's Hellhammer meets Master's Hammer meets Venom :!: :wink:
The vox are the closest thing ever to Tim Baker.

And this is the closest to the early sound of their guitar.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Priamos wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:47 pm And this is the closest to the early sound of their guitar.
Good comparison! John DuCann's guitarwork with Atomic Rooster may be even more Ungol-like, but with the overall sound there being so organ dominated i can see why you plumped for his more up-front Hard Stuff work instead. A really underappreciated guitarist, i've often wondered what might have been if his Thin Lizzy stint had yielded an LP or 2.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

bigfootkit wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:23 am [
Good comparison! John DuCann's guitarwork with Atomic Rooster may be even more Ungol-like
I only own and have listened "Death walks..." but I can't remember any obvious similarities with C.U. Can you post a specific sample, to see your point?

PS. Listening to the sametitled (DWBY) right now, under this perception, I can see it as potential CU influence in general.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Priamos wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:47 pm
Good comparison! John DuCann's guitarwork with Atomic Rooster may be even more Ungol-like
I only own and have listened "Death walks..." but I can't remember any obvious similarities with C.U. Can you post a specific sample, to see your point?
PS. Listening to the sametitled (DWBY) right now, under this perception, I can see it as potential CU influence in general.
I wasn't thinking of a specific song really, more his general tone, though it's probably less obvious in Atomic Rooster because they were so keyboard-heavy. Because Rooster were without a bass player DuCann was essentially competing with the keyboards twice as Vincent Crane played the 'basslines' with his left hand & did the chords & soloing with his right, meaning DuCann had to be downright murky/grungy on the riffs in order to blend in with the keys then often quite shrill to cut through on the soloing. Although they were different stylistically, Cirith Ungol used a comparible tonal style to perform a similar function. On headphones, you get a better idea of what DuCann's doing on the AR stuff & hopefully see what i meant, or this 1970 live performance from 'Beat Club' may do the job:

doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

bigfootkit wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:52 am
Priamos wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:47 pm
I wasn't thinking of a specific song really, more his general tone, though it's probably less obvious in Atomic Rooster because they were so keyboard-heavy. Because Rooster were without a bass player DuCann was essentially competing with the keyboards twice as Vincent Crane played the 'basslines' with his left hand & did the chords & soloing with his right, meaning DuCann had to be downright murky/grungy on the riffs in order to blend in with the keys then often quite shrill to cut through on the soloing. Although they were different stylistically, Cirith Ungol used a comparible tonal style to perform a similar function. On headphones, you get a better idea of what DuCann's doing on the AR stuff & hopefully see what i meant, or this 1970 live performance from 'Beat Club' may do the job:

thank you so much for this Roooster Beat club video. I just had a cerebral orgasm. I have to rub but I think I need to listen to this a few times, simply blew me away. AR one of my favorite bands any genre, they "Death Walks" is part of my holy trinity of 70's rock.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

doomedplanet wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:49 pm thank you so much for this Roooster Beat club video. I just had a cerebral orgasm. I have to rub but I think I need to listen to this a few times, simply blew me away. AR one of my favorite bands any genre, they "Death Walks" is part of my holy trinity of 70's rock.
:lol: Glad it brought you such joy! I'm guessing/hoping 'rub' was autocorrect for 'rush'? :lol:
For a band who had quite a lot of commercial success in their heyday they always seem to get strangely overlooked when that era is talked about nowadays.