Lesser known 80's Doom...

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
MechaBarbarian

Re: Lesser know 80's Doom...

Post by MechaBarbarian »

Long time no post for me. Really enjoyed all the new features and reviews. Excellent job dAn and company!

Stuff I don't think I've seen in the reviews/aren't tagged as doom
Mighty Sphincter - Ghost Walking EP (Is Deathrock but most of it has more in common with Black Hole, Dwarr Mezmerist IMO)
Mana Mana - Totuus palaa
Nigro Mantia - Poetry of Subculture
Jim Jones and the Kool-Ade Kids
Wicked Lester - Here Comes My Girlfriend/Say Your Prayers
Czar- Iron Curtain/Black Sunday
Shakespeare - Orphan Devil/Sneaking Around
Requiem - Angel Of Sin
In the Colonnades - Wheels
Ted George - Chained Heat (tbf I've not heard this one)
Velle Witch

Stuff that'd be good for the comp
Backwater - Witchchaser
Iscariot - Bless Me Father for I have sinned
Deep Red - Death Trip
The Stain - Day of the Jackal
Overkill - The Answer
Piledriver - Witch Hunt
Vatreni poljubac - Samo kad bi svaki put
Anvil - Kiss of Death
Van Halen - Tora! Tora!
Leather - No Place Called Home
Excruciation - Hateful Pain
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Belated cheers for that list, M.B! Anyone who namedrops personal faves like Vatreni poljubac and Mighty Sphincter will have my attention ...eventually :lol:
Will start hunting down those track I hadn't hear this coming week...

I actually just put together my own little Extra-Special mix, with cover and all:
maldoom-front.jpg
maldoom-front.jpg (71.79 KiB) Viewed 2142 times
(back hidden to avoid spoilers)

...just because obscurity competition!
Exclusive content for logged in users.
I honestly think this turned out to be one of the most solid "mix-tapes" I've done in quite a while, so do let me know your thoughts.
vesselofbalon

Post by vesselofbalon »

DaN wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:58 pm Belated cheers for that list, M.B! Anyone who namedrops personal faves like Vatreni poljubac and Mighty Sphincter will have my attention ...eventually :lol:

I actually just put together my own little Extra-Special mix, with cover and all:

maldoom-front.jpg

I honestly think this turned out to be one of the most solid "mix-tapes" I've done in quite a while, so do let me know your thoughts.
I’ve been listening to this mix quite a bit the past few days - it really surprised me how good it is. The “Malaysian sound” (dark/exotic/melodic) is pretty conducive to doom imo. While I thought the whole thing is great - the lovingborn, alfa, and sahara tracks really stood out - and the desire track was my favorite. How is the rest of “-+×÷” ?(what a title!)
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

vesselofbalon wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:54 pm
DaN wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:58 pm Belated cheers for that list, M.B! Anyone who namedrops personal faves like Vatreni poljubac and Mighty Sphincter will have my attention ...eventually :lol:

maldoom-front.jpg

I’ve been listening to this mix quite a bit the past few days - it really surprised me how good it is. The “Malaysian sound” (dark/exotic/melodic) is pretty conducive to doom imo. While I thought the whole thing is great - the lovingborn, alfa, and sahara tracks really stood out - and the desire track was my favorite. How is the rest of “-+×÷” ?(what a title!)
Pardon the late response, but I did have a half-finished review of the “-+×÷” album since far back that just bothered w/finishing:

DESIRE - “-+×÷” LP 1989 review

Like w/ most of the featured bands, the Doom-tracks are one-off's, but some of these albums are still well worth checking out if you can censor the 50% ballad-content from your mind...
DaN
Administructor

Re: Lesser known 80's Doom...

Post by DaN »

Technically not 80's, but only a few years behind and stylewise very much on-topic, a new short review:

EDEN - Adam's Dream LP 1993 review