Lesser known 80's Doom...

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
MechaBarbarian

Re: Lesser know 80's Doom...

Post by MechaBarbarian »

Long time no post for me. Really enjoyed all the new features and reviews. Excellent job dAn and company!

Stuff I don't think I've seen in the reviews/aren't tagged as doom
Mighty Sphincter - Ghost Walking EP (Is Deathrock but most of it has more in common with Black Hole, Dwarr Mezmerist IMO)
Mana Mana - Totuus palaa
Nigro Mantia - Poetry of Subculture
Jim Jones and the Kool-Ade Kids
Wicked Lester - Here Comes My Girlfriend/Say Your Prayers
Czar- Iron Curtain/Black Sunday
Shakespeare - Orphan Devil/Sneaking Around
Requiem - Angel Of Sin
In the Colonnades - Wheels
Ted George - Chained Heat (tbf I've not heard this one)
Velle Witch

Stuff that'd be good for the comp
Backwater - Witchchaser
Iscariot - Bless Me Father for I have sinned
Deep Red - Death Trip
The Stain - Day of the Jackal
Overkill - The Answer
Piledriver - Witch Hunt
Vatreni poljubac - Samo kad bi svaki put
Anvil - Kiss of Death
Van Halen - Tora! Tora!
Leather - No Place Called Home
Excruciation - Hateful Pain
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Belated cheers for that list, M.B! Anyone who namedrops personal faves like Vatreni poljubac and Mighty Sphincter will have my attention ...eventually :lol:
Will start hunting down those track I hadn't hear this coming week...

I actually just put together my own little Extra-Special mix, with cover and all:
maldoom-front.jpg
maldoom-front.jpg (71.79 KiB) Viewed 2218 times
(back hidden to avoid spoilers)

...just because obscurity competition!
Exclusive content for logged in users.
I honestly think this turned out to be one of the most solid "mix-tapes" I've done in quite a while, so do let me know your thoughts.
vesselofbalon

Post by vesselofbalon »

DaN wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:58 pm Belated cheers for that list, M.B! Anyone who namedrops personal faves like Vatreni poljubac and Mighty Sphincter will have my attention ...eventually :lol:

I actually just put together my own little Extra-Special mix, with cover and all:

maldoom-front.jpg

I honestly think this turned out to be one of the most solid "mix-tapes" I've done in quite a while, so do let me know your thoughts.
I’ve been listening to this mix quite a bit the past few days - it really surprised me how good it is. The “Malaysian sound” (dark/exotic/melodic) is pretty conducive to doom imo. While I thought the whole thing is great - the lovingborn, alfa, and sahara tracks really stood out - and the desire track was my favorite. How is the rest of “-+×÷” ?(what a title!)
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

vesselofbalon wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:54 pm
DaN wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:58 pm Belated cheers for that list, M.B! Anyone who namedrops personal faves like Vatreni poljubac and Mighty Sphincter will have my attention ...eventually :lol:

maldoom-front.jpg

I’ve been listening to this mix quite a bit the past few days - it really surprised me how good it is. The “Malaysian sound” (dark/exotic/melodic) is pretty conducive to doom imo. While I thought the whole thing is great - the lovingborn, alfa, and sahara tracks really stood out - and the desire track was my favorite. How is the rest of “-+×÷” ?(what a title!)
Pardon the late response, but I did have a half-finished review of the “-+×÷” album since far back that just bothered w/finishing:

DESIRE - “-+×÷” LP 1989 review

Like w/ most of the featured bands, the Doom-tracks are one-off's, but some of these albums are still well worth checking out if you can censor the 50% ballad-content from your mind...
DaN
Administructor

Re: Lesser known 80's Doom...

Post by DaN »

Technically not 80's, but only a few years behind and stylewise very much on-topic, a new short review:

EDEN - Adam's Dream LP 1993 review

naturom demonto

Post by naturom demonto »

DaN wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:25 pm Btw, here's a fun idea:
Who's up for a collective project of putting together a mix-CDR of one-off Doom/Doom'ish tracks from olde kült trad HM vinyls? I'm talking about "that ONE Doom track on the album"-type stuff {...}
Late to the party, but since Vatreni poljubac were already mentioned, I must add thee 80s Yugo doom metal hit:

The main riff sounds like it could easily be from Candlemass' Nightfall, extremely heavy and bleak sounding for its time and place. Vocals are a bit mellower and with some imagination it's not that far removed from Black Hole perhaps, yet coupled with the obscure lyrics it works very well. And yes, that's a Crowley (!) speech sample at the end, pretty bold move that raised some controversy amongst the casual rock fans from the region. Here are the lyrics translated, the first word "izrod" is more along the lines of "degenerate" generally, though I'd say "outcast" works better in the context.

Outcast at the border
Gone wild, before the winds
Hair full of decayed leaves
Eyes teary from the sands of time
Thoughts heavy as dusks
Like a failed dream

A mortal, in the face of infinity
Powerless, before the gods
Hindered by his empty beliefs
Broken by the endless wars
Strong and yet powerless
Like a failed dream

Outcast on the border
Man before the sea of ​​knowledge
Shrouded in the illusion of sadness
Everything he leaves behind
Is like a failed dream
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

naturom demonto wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:02 am
DaN wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:25 pm Btw, here's a fun idea:
Who's up for a collective project of putting together a mix-CDR of one-off Doom/Doom'ish tracks from olde kült trad HM vinyls? I'm talking about "that ONE Doom track on the album"-type stuff {...}
Late to the party, but since Vatreni poljubac were already mentioned, I must add thee 80s Yugo doom metal hit:

The main riff sounds like it could easily be from Candlemass' Nightfall, extremely heavy and bleak sounding for its time and place. Vocals are a bit mellower and with some imagination it's not that far removed from Black Hole perhaps, yet coupled with the obscure lyrics it works very well. And yes, that's a Crowley (!) speech sample at the end, pretty bold move that raised some controversy amongst the casual rock fans from the region. Here are the lyrics translated, the first word "izrod" is more along the lines of "degenerate" generally, though I'd say "outcast" works better in the context.

Outcast at the border
Hair full of decayed leaves
Eyes teary from the sands of time
Thoughts heavy as dusks
Like a failed dream

A mortal, in the face of infinity
Powerless, before the gods
Hindered by his empty beliefs
Broken by the endless wars
Strong and yet powerless
Like a failed dream

Outcast on the border
Man before the sea of ​​knowledge
Shrouded in the illusion of sadness
Everything he leaves behind
Is like a failed dream
A great track and I love Rok Masina, both the mini, LP and that last Pop Masina 7" pearl, but in my book this is more of an epic semi-ballad. Agree about that particlular riff though..