Hellenic Steel - An archive of Greek and Cypriot Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

Hellenic Steel - An archive of Greek and Cypriot Metal

Post by DaN »

Today we open up this new project, written & researched by Johan Pettersson (Spinal) - very much a work in progress but definitely an ambitious one. From my own standpoint it's been an intriguing challenge to build something more advanced, technically as well as graphically.

PLEASE spread the link & word through whatever channels are at your disposal, and let us know what you think...
Ernest Thesiger

Re: Hellenic Steel - An archive of Greek and Cypriot Metal

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

This is really promising. Thanks to Johan & you!
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Spinal

Post by Spinal »

Many, many thanks to DaN for hosting, programming and designed the H.S.A. I would still be restricted to writing on paper, hadn't it been for your proposal. :)

In the future, I'll make use of this thread for bigger updates (chunks of reviews, interviews, compilations, etc.)
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Nice work!
I guess you've just started so no need for band suggestions yet.
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Spinal

Post by Spinal »

Thanks, Prowler. It's kind of cool that we both started these projects in parallell without knowing of each other at first (well I think it was you who originally suggested that I scrapped the book-idea and went digital instead).

In case you know of any bands from the 1980s/1990s starting on letters A to D that aren't included so far, please go ahead and share!

Prowler wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:03 am Nice work!
I guess you've just started so no need for band suggestions yet.
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

Maybe I missed something when reading the introduction but will the project include only "classic" metal bands or also more extreme ones? In the latter case there is plenty of work ahead of you indeed.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Herkus Monte wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:46 pm Maybe I missed something when reading the introduction but will the project include only "classic" metal bands or also more extreme ones? In the latter case there is plenty of work ahead of you indeed.
All generes, including Black, Death, Grind, even "dungeon synth" (whatever that means..). Just click the genre-links under the "BAND SELECT"-banner...
Pavlos

Post by Pavlos »

Another puzzle piece added to the best page in the world - THANX!!!!
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

DaN wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:14 pm "dungeon synth" (whatever that means..)
Casio-black metal á la an incarcerated Varg Vikernes.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Zombie Dance

Post by Zombie Dance »

Spinal wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:14 am Many, many thanks to DaN for hosting, programming and designed the H.S.A. I would still be restricted to writing on paper, hadn't it been for your proposal. :)

In the future, I'll make use of this thread for bigger updates (chunks of reviews, interviews, compilations, etc.)
Good luck with that very ambitious project, I like the fact that you're going so deep with full texts on bands!

I have the Cthonium rehearsal tape, I ripped it years ago but I'm not sure if I kept the file... I'll look into it or rip it again and will let you know. It's not very good I must say, not even close to their glorious compilation track.
Spinal

Post by Spinal »

Zombie Dance wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:16 am Good luck with that very ambitious project, I like the fact that you're going so deep with full texts on bands!

I have the Cthonium rehearsal tape, I ripped it years ago but I'm not sure if I kept the file... I'll look into it or rip it again and will let you know. It's not very good I must say, not even close to their glorious compilation track.
Thanks Z.D.!

I’d love to hear that CTHONIUM rehearsal if you ever find it (even if it sounds shit, which I can very much imagine it doing...)
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Have the Cthonium Rehearsal too, but it was labeled on all tape trading lists back in the day as Reheasal 1993, with 6 trax that noone had titles for.
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Spinal

Post by Spinal »

Prowler wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:16 am Have the Cthonium Rehearsal too, but it was labeled on all tape trading lists back in the day as Reheasal 1993, with 6 trax that noone had titles for.
Right, will look into that and make proper adjustments. Unless the reh. contains only unique tracks it would be possible to make out some titles by comparing with the demo. If anyone cares, haha...
Zombie Dance

Post by Zombie Dance »

Prowler wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:16 am Have the Cthonium Rehearsal too, but it was labeled on all tape trading lists back in the day as Reheasal 1993, with 6 trax that noone had titles for.
Almost certain both exists as different rehearsals, my tape has on side A the demo + 1 track from a rehearsal, and another full rehearsal (different recording for sure) on side B. This is startling my interest, I'll go look into this as soon as possible.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

The Corroseum wrote:What could possibly be more cool than a mighty awesome Metal fanzine archive? Well two mighty awesome Metal fanzine archives ofcourse! A new section of Hellenic Steel has now been launched, where we will document Greek Metal-zines from the 80's up until today, including all kinds of subgenres. In other words it has a slightly different focus from The Corroseum's regular zine-section, hence the separation of the two (plenty of overlapping will ofcourse occur...)