Malaysia/Singapore Metal (...and vinyl)

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

Re: Malaysia/Singapore Metal (...and vinyl)

Post by DaN »

Back to faraway lands again:

JUSTICE - Pribumi LP 1990 review

Some creds go to tbieri and his MALAYSIAN Hard Rock and Heavy Metal from 1987 to 1992-list @ rateyourmusic, for bringing my attention to this record.
Here's my vinyl rip of the 8-song album, plus the 2 missing tracks ripped from YouTube (couldn't find a better source, sorry)
Exclusive content for logged in users.
After this, there's really only 1 album left from Singapore worth mentioning on the site. It will hopefully be added before the end of this week.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

With the first 2 of these reviews I think the Malaysian section of the Rare Metal Reviews archive now cover the most essential releases. There's probably between half and a full dozen albums worth mentioning that might be sporadically added at later dates, but in my eyes & ears the general coverage has now reached the level of "Satisfying".

CROSSFIRE - Fatamorgana LP 1989 review

CROSSFIRE - Erosi LP 1990 review

Note: Different track-order from the LP!

Last but least, this review pretty much completes the rare Singapore Metal vinyl-section:

VICTIM - Menanti Kepastian LP 1988 review

Believe me, I'm more sorry than any of you for the semi-slagging - I'm the one who had to pay for the bloody thing!
Still, my rip for the curious:
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

DaN wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:25 pm Image
Such a shame that they opted not to have the excellent painting fill the front cover. At least then it would have been worth framing if not hearing.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I see your point, but imho this design accentuates the 'foreigness' of the album and gives it some extra Kült edge. Too bad the music didn't live up to it this time...
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

DaN wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:25 pm I see your point, but imho this design accentuates the 'foreigness' of the album and gives it some extra Kült edge. Too bad the music didn't live up to it this time...
I can appreciate the exotic 'otherness' that releases from this part of the world share in terms of layout & design, but that painting's so eye-catching & perfectly executed, (for the Metal LP aesthetic), it deserved the chance to dazzle unsuspecting punters on it's own terms. Just imagine spotting this LP at the front of the rack in your favourite store. :shock:

DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I see through your eyes now. Yes, I'm sure ANYONE around these parts would buy an album like that unheard for at least a 2-digit amount :lol:

Here's food for thought: Imagine the hype if this had been a US release instead of an Asian one....
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

DaN wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:52 pm I see through your eyes now. Yes, I'm sure ANYONE around these parts would buy an album like that unheard for at least a 2-digit amount :lol:

Here's food for thought: Imagine the hype if this had been a US release instead of an Asian one....
Yup, without hearing a note i'd be on board. It's not the most amazingly executed piece of art you'll ever see but so perfect for it's purpose. Funny you should pose that US/Asian question, it had crossed my mind that 'Power Hungry' by the US Victim would go for far more if they'd used the art from the Singaporean band instead of that idiot/genius cover they went with.
Zombie Dance

Post by Zombie Dance »

Got that victim ages ago and still love it! I've seen a tape around as well...

All in all fantastic job covering all these obscure asian lps! Hats off, it's really great excavation work. I always considered this lp to be Heavy Metal :
https://www.discogs.com/release/11110942-Sahara-Jawapan

Female fronted and kicking some serious ass.
I have her first lp but only the first track is real HM, second one is really better and heavier, but alas still in my wantlist since day one...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Zombie Dance wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:54 pm Got that victim ages ago and still love it! I've seen a tape around as well...

All in all fantastic job covering all these obscure asian lps! Hats off, it's really great excavation work. I always considered this lp to be Heavy Metal :

I have her first lp but only the first track is real HM, second one is really better and heavier, but alas still in my wantlist since day one...
Wow, I actually missed out on that one... 1 good hardrocker + 3 Great HM tunes is a pretty good score for a Malay full-length. It irks me a bit how I might have been able to pick up copy of this LP a while back...
Especially this track is a little Epicexotic Metal pearl:

Now THIS is how I wanted Victim to sound like :evil:
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

DaN wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:03 pm
Zombie Dance wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:54 pm Got that victim ages ago and still love it! I've seen a tape around as well...

Wow, I actually missed out on that one... 1 good hardrocker + 3 Great HM tunes is a pretty good score for a Malay full-length. It irks me a bit how I might have been able to pick up copy of this LP a while back...

Wow, what an incredibly powerful & versatile voice. :shock: The cheesy intro aside, that was undeniably great. Who saw that cover & thought 'there be metal'? I'd never have guessed.
Zombie Dance

Post by Zombie Dance »

bigfootkit wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:25 am
DaN wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:03 pm

Wow, what an incredibly powerful & versatile voice. :shock: The cheesy intro aside, that was undeniably great. Who saw that cover & thought 'there be metal'? I'd never have guessed.
Yeah she wasn't baptised the "Malaysian Tina Turner" for nothing!

My copy of her first lp has a sticker "radio Netherlands" on it. It's a wonderful world we live in where you can drive your car on the Netherlands highway and randomly tune in to some Malaysian female Heavy Metal.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Zombie Dance wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:10 am
bigfootkit wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:25 am Wow, what an incredibly powerful & versatile voice. :shock: The cheesy intro aside, that was undeniably great. Who saw that cover & thought 'there be metal'? I'd never have guessed.
Yeah she wasn't baptised the "Malaysian Tina Turner" for nothing!
My copy of her first lp has a sticker "radio Netherlands" on it. It's a wonderful world we live in where you can drive your car on the Netherlands highway and randomly tune in to some Malaysian female Heavy Metal.
No disrespect to Tina who was a fabulous powerhouse vocalist in her own right, ('Funkier Than A Mosquita's Tweeter' anyone?) but i doubt she could have pulled that song off. I do however like the idea that Dutch radio listeners of a certain age might hear this now & casually recall, 'Ah yeah, Sahara Yaacob, she was the Malaysian Tina Turner you know.'' :D
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

And the Vomitor "Annex Gargle" Demo 1987 has been reissued and released on Lp several weeks ago already.... 2 copies only pressed upon band's request. The guy of the label - actually a member of Damokis - couldn't explain why it happened. There won't be any further reissues or releases upon band's request
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I couldn't help adding yet another Singapore obscurity to the site since this is such an underappreciated pearl:

This is the 2nd album by the band VICTIM under a new moniker, but srlsy it's SOOOO much better & Heavier!

Please be sure to quickly skip the first 2 ballads - after that it's a bloody great and RAW Heavy Metal album despite the primitive production values... tRÜE kÛLT indeed!