Malaysia/Singapore Metal (...and vinyl)

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

Re: Malaysia/Singapore Metal (...and vinyl)

Post by DaN »

Yeah, some of the rips that turn up on YT are quite atrocious, but there's plenty of CD-quality streams as well, including must-hears like Belantara, Handy Black, Lipanbara, Dinamik etc..
One upside is that practically everything is available to at least check out, so the scene is definitely less impenetrable today than 10+ years ago.

Concerning the ballads - I've gotten so used to just skipping past them. I kinda joked around about this in a review, but in my head these albums really are Mini-LP's - in some cases real killer ones as well!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

One more before nightie-night-night:

RUSTY BLADE - Berat LP 1988 review

YT-playlist:

(slightly different track-order than the original album)
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

DaN wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:16 pm Yeah, some of the rips that turn up on YT are quite atrocious, but there's plenty of CD-quality streams as well, including must-hears like Belantara, Handy Black, Lipanbara, Dinamik etc..
One upside is that practically everything is available to at least check out, so the scene is definitely less impenetrable today than 10+ years ago.

Concerning the ballads - I've gotten so used to just skipping past them. I kinda joked around about this in a review, but in my head these albums really are Mini-LP's - in some cases real killer ones as well!
Dinamik is the only Maylay lp I have. I barely remember it.

I tend not to listen to much on youtube, unless it is a random video when I am doing research. But for actually listing, almost never. So your uploads are much appreciated.

I think what I need to do is segregate the ballads into a separate folder when I download them, or delete them. With files it is quite a pain to skip past individual tracks when I listen. Actually skipping past tracks is contrary to my listening ethic in general. Usually I like to hear entire solid albums. In this instance I'm going to have to work harder to filter out the dreck.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

doomedplanet wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:40 pmDinamik is the only Maylay lp I have. I barely remember it.

I tend not to listen to much on youtube, unless it is a random video when I am doing research. But for actually listing, almost never. So your uploads are much appreciated.

I think what I need to do is segregate the ballads into a separate folder when I download them, or delete them. With files it is quite a pain to skip past individual tracks when I listen. Actually skipping past tracks is contrary to my listening ethic in general. Usually I like to hear entire solid albums. In this instance I'm going to have to work harder to filter out the dreck.
Dinamik really deserves a re-spin then. Basically all 6 of the Heavy, non-ballad tracks are great. The Handy Black and Junction albums I reviewed are also albums that work as a whole, since there's only really 2 crappy tracks on each of them (..which is better than A LOT of albums in general I'm sure you'll agree)

I've developed the "bad habit" of using YT since it allows me to listen to music at work + to/from. Practicality + time constraints won over conservativeness (I hope that's a word..) this time. An interesting subject for a different thread..

I hear you on the skipping-tracks matter - was very counterintuitive for me as well, but this is rather unique scene and the pay-off for going a bit off track is that there really are some amazing, obscure & forgotten Metal music to be found here. I don't really consider Malay/Singapore HM that much better or more special than any other random country's, but so bloody MUCH of it was produced and vinylized during a small period in time there was just bound to be a dozen or 2 gems in there - pure statistics really. I've now come to the point where I've managed to collect most of what is worth collecting, hence it was time for the proper Corroseum review-bonanza.

I'm still missing VICTIM btw - if anyone is interested in trading it for an EX-/EX- VIKING lp, let me know. I should recieve an extra copy of this kült'ster soon...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I had to return to this subject since this album - despite its many flaws - really deserves a heads up:

BELANTARA - Belantara LP 1987 review

The 2 Important Tracks:

DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

There's still a few holes to fill in the Mal/Sin Metal scene, so I'm now completing the discography of this classic band:

ImageRUSTY BLADE - Awas! LP 1989 review

Sound:
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

For someone as foreign to Malaysian culture as myself, it's weird to read the fixation with ballads that seemed to have taken place in those early days of Metal, specially considering how much the most extreme underground subgenres thrived over there in the following years. I wonder if it was some sort of knee jerk reaction to it.
Zombie Dance

Post by Zombie Dance »

Cochino wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:22 pm For someone as foreign to Malaysian culture as myself, it's weird to read the fixation with ballads that seemed to have taken place in those early days of Metal, specially considering how much the most extreme underground subgenres thrived over there in the following years. I wonder if it was some sort of knee jerk reaction to it.
From the contacts I had with many people of that scene, a lot of the pioneers of the extreme Metal were completely against the local Heavy Metal trends, and way more focused on Slayer, Morbid Angel and that sort of stuff. Though by scratching the surface I encountered more and more people nowadays who admits that bands like Rusty Blade, Sahara Jaacob, May and stuff like that definitely were their earlier connection with Heavy Metal and definitely mattered at some point.

By the way, I probably mentionned this before but the Malaysian band Aircraft released an album called Maximum Destruktion and it's a love letter to the old Malay/Singapore scene, with a rougher edge and no ballads. I fucking love it, one of the best "revival" albums of all time most certainly :) It should be easy to find.
My Victim lp is not for trade unfortunately, maybe for some heavy hitters of extreme Metal of my wantlist someday, but I doubt that will happen :)
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Zombie Dance wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:18 am
Cochino wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:22 pm For someone as foreign to Malaysian culture as myself, it's weird to read the fixation with ballads that seemed to have taken place in those early days of Metal, specially considering how much the most extreme underground subgenres thrived over there in the following years. I wonder if it was some sort of knee jerk reaction to it.
From the contacts I had with many people of that scene, a lot of the pioneers of the extreme Metal were completely against the local Heavy Metal trends, and way more focused on Slayer, Morbid Angel and that sort of stuff. Though by scratching the surface I encountered more and more people nowadays who admits that bands like Rusty Blade, Sahara Jaacob, May and stuff like that definitely were their earlier connection with Heavy Metal and definitely mattered at some point.
That's pretty interesting. That's what I thought when I was reading all these recent reviews by DaN, 'cause all the metal bands I knew from Malaysia before were just extreme underground ones. But it's also good to read some reappraisal from their own tradition nowadays. I guess it's something that happens in plenty of scenes. Kinda like a teen rebelling against his parents only to start appreciating a lot of the things they did in older age.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

It's just that rotten peel of you-know-what that needs removing - the Metal fruit within is JUICY!

<--- actually, I think that's the dumbest thing I've ever written about Metal. But also true.

Of course I also had to complete the discog of my absolute faves and the undisputed Gods of this scene, finishing with the beginning:

ImageROCKERS - Kekejaman LP 1988 review

DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Sorry for coming off a mess and posting the previous LovingBorn LP in the Metal on Camelback!-thread instead, but it just HAD to be included there. Here's LP #2, still very exotic & orignal, almost as good as the debut:

ImageLOVINGBORN - Insaf LP 1988 review

..and of course the mandatory vinyl rip:
Exclusive content for logged in users.
That title track...
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

"It's just that rotten peel of you-know-what that needs removing - the Metal fruit within is JUICY!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm so tempted to steal that line that for my sig.
Must...resist...
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

Maxim wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:01 pm
jnfernal wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:59 pm ...
Recently I saw a blog which lists some old Singaporean demos, among them Vomitor - "Annex gargle" (1986). Wonder what is it and whether it really was recorded.

I see it is announced on vinyl by Funeralight Records this year

From the liner notes:

A brief history of the band formation. Began in 1986 and shortly recorded this 4-tracks demo (3 traxs + 1 instrumental traxs) at Ese Studio with only 4-traxs using Fostex reel. Only 30pcs of dubbed tapes is spreaded among true die-hard friends & wasn't up for sale. Line up consists of Zahrin (bass/vocals, 22yrs), John (lead guitar, 26yrs), Azizi (rhythm guitar, 15yrs) & Jumali (drums, 22yrs also play drums for DREAD).

humus

Post by humus »

Any place in Europe to buy those Funeralight releases? I see they're releasing a lot of interesting stuff.
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

I don't know.... for sure there is NWN! in the US as well as local distros in Malaysia (my friends at various Campbell Complex, for example) but as for european distros I have no idea. I found some tags on other FB pages but I can't find them anymore

Moreover Funeralight has just re-released 4 other old demo tapes from Singapore:

-Martyrdom - Promo Rehearsal (1992)
-Martyrdom - Creation Of Soul (1994)
-Morbific - Realm Of Blood (1991)
-Morbific - Obscure Dreams (1993)

The two Morbific demos will be out also on two vinyls next month for the new label Vryko Records (which, I suppose, should be by some Vrykolakas members)