Wrong Speed Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Zanker

Wrong Speed Metal

Post by Zanker »

When I buy new records the first spin I always do is put headphones on and lay down in my sofa.
Today I listened to SPEED QUEEN "King of the road" but because a few days before i played TESTAMENT "The legacy" and the speed was still on 33RPM.
Now I checked out the music from SPEED QUEEN before so I knew they played up tempo fast speedmetal and I heard immediately that the speed wasn't right but as I just layed down and to lazy to jump up I found that the music was pretty good at a lower speed. MLP is 45RPM.
You can hear that the vocals are not that right but it didn't bothered me much. I liked it. Strange!

This got me thinking back at a friend in the 80's that also played a record at the wrong speed because he liked it better than the intended speed. I just can't remember which record it was and i lost contact over the years so I can't ask. He was much into CELTIC FROST and the likes, so maybe it's one of them. I'm pretty sure he played it slower then the intended speed. So it might not be CF then.

It's the same as with DARK AGE "Dark tripping/The coming of storm" single 1986. It doesn't say which speed you have to spin it. It plays fine at both speeds.

So...I know it sounds strange but I just wonder if anyone had the same experience with a record they accidentally played at the wrong speed and liked it in a way? Or maybe any suggestions on records that sounds good at the wrong speed?
Ernest Thesiger

Re: Wrong Speed Metal

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Exmortis' Immortality's End 12" sounds kind of Swedish at 33rpm.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

Ernest Thesiger wrote:Exmortis' Immortality's End 12" sounds kind of Swedish at 33rpm.
I don't have this on vinyl so can't check. Another advantage with records against CD's...you can play records at several speeds if you like.
malegys

Post by malegys »

Slayer's "haunting the chapel" EP on 33rpm (Especially Chemical Warfare) sounds killer & sounds like Boltthrower :lol:
"Do you like Wenom?"
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Not a record, but I remember I had a Gorguts "Considered Dead" tape that had a bunch of songs from the band Excess Of Cruetly a the end, to complete the length of the b-side. The thing is that they were taped at some super slow speed, to the point that it pretty much sounded like Funeral Doom, and I fucking loved it. Years later, I tried to check out that band and not only couldn't identify which songs they were, I didn't like any of their stuff at all.
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

malegys wrote:Slayer's "haunting the chapel" EP on 33rpm (Especially Chemical Warfare) sounds killer & sounds like Boltthrower :lol:
Ah! Great! I'll give that a spin this weekend.
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

Cochino wrote:Not a record, but I remember I had a Gorguts "Considered Dead" tape that had a bunch of songs from the band Excess Of Cruetly a the end, to complete the length of the b-side. The thing is that they were taped at some super slow speed, to the point that it pretty much sounded like Funeral Doom, and I fucking loved it. Years later, I tried to check out that band and not only couldn't identify which songs they were, I didn't like any of their stuff at all.
:D :D Nice story!
DMR

Post by DMR »

Playing 33s on 45 is my favorite thing about vinyl. I don't have much of it so can't make many recommendations. The Moros Nyx - Rite of Rebellion 7" sounds pretty cool that way.

My parents have a lot of classical music on vinyl, so I've experimented with that. My favorite is playing an LP of harpsichord sonatas by Scarlatti on high speed. Sounds a lot like neoclassical shred stuff!
Cyrcka

Post by Cyrcka »

Happened to me once with Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium.
I bought the vinyl when was released, in 1991 i think, at a store in my town and went straight home to play it. Honestly i think I had never heard the band before, but with the former Napalm Death Lee Dorian and released on Earache, it was supposed to sound fast and brutal. I play it at 33rpm and thought if they had been wrong, so i changed to 45rpm. And so I listened for some time at 45 because it sounded so much better ahahah. I ended up trading it, I never liked the album.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Back in the dark ages (approx 1981) my cousin asked me to tape some album for him.
To fill in the space left over on the end of the cassette, for my own amusement, i recorded Kiss's God Of Thunder at 45rpm instead of 33 and wrote on the inlay card that it was Rush doing it. I think i told him it was a Canadian B-Side & it was weeks before he realised my subterfuge.
:lol:
To be fair though, if memory serves, it really did sound like Geddy Lee & co. at that speed.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

bigfootkit wrote:Back in the dark ages (approx 1981) my cousin asked me to tape some album for him.
To fill in the space left over on the end of the cassette, for my own amusement, i recorded Kiss's God Of Thunder at 45rpm instead of 33 and wrote on the inlay card that it was Rush doing it. I think i told him it was a Canadian B-Side & it was weeks before he realised my subterfuge.
To be fair though, if memory serves, it really did sound like Geddy Lee & co. at that speed.
haha...we did the same thing to each other when taping records for friends. Or even full albums played at 45 for a joke. One time a friend back then was so angry at me because he was so anxious to hear NOTB that i believe he really wanted to hit me in the face the next day he stood at the door. I immediately taped the whole album on 33. I guess he would never have left the house without the music. So the first time he heard NOTB was at my place taping it for him after a joke.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

was that in 1982 or later?

Kit, I can imagine that whole thing really sounded like RUSH. :lol:
Zanker wrote:
bigfootkit wrote:Back in the dark ages (approx 1981) my cousin asked me to tape some album for him.
haha...we did the same thing to each other when taping records for friends. Or even full albums played at 45 for a joke. One time a friend back then was so angry at me because he was so anxious to hear NOTB that i believe he really wanted to hit me in the face the next day he stood at the door. I immediately taped the whole album on 33. I guess he would never have left the house without the music. So the first time he heard NOTB was at my place taping it for him after a joke.
I am ... the One you warned me of
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Well, Geddy Lee does sound like a 33 record played at 45.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Cyrcka wrote:Happened to me once with Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium.
I bought the vinyl when was released, in 1991 i think, at a store in my town and went straight home to play it. Honestly i think I had never heard the band before, but with the former Napalm Death Lee Dorian and released on Earache, it was supposed to sound fast and brutal. I play it at 33rpm and thought if they had been wrong, so i changed to 45rpm. And so I listened for some time at 45 because it sounded so much better ahahah. I ended up trading it, I never liked the album.
Their best album. Only one I still listen to.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Try playing the b-side of Slough Feg:s "Lazer Enforcer" single (a Government Issue cover called "Blending In") on 33 rpm instead of 45. Sounds like a really cool downtempo doomy metal track with a killer guitar tone. On the correct speed it's just bland HC.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight