Early SODOM

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
nightsblood

Early SODOM

Post by nightsblood »

Primitive genius, messy amateurism, or messy amatuerism that got revised into primitive genius by modern historians long after 'Obsessed By Cruelty' came and went?

My German Thrash chi is extremely weak, so I'll let someone else take the lead on this one....

Discuss!
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Cochino

Re: Early SODOM

Post by Cochino »

nightsblood wrote:Primitive genius, messy amateurism
A little bit of both, actually. It's of course sloppy and amateurish, but there's enough talent there to turn it into something worth listening to. Many other bands just as amateurish and raw back then were just garbage, but there's a reason why Sodom (and in a similar way, Hellhammer) stood apart from all of them.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

I never got into Sodom, i prefered the manic precision of Kreator when it came to German Thrash Metal.
'Pleasure To Kill' completely blew my mind back in the day.
I'm probably the wrong guy to be commenting though as i confess i have a bit of a problem with German bands in general.
If they sing in English it often just sounded comical to me because of the accent, & as hard as i tried, i could never get past that.
Don't know why Germany in particular seemed to produce so many vocalists that made me chuckle with their clumsy stilted delivery as there were plenty of Scandinavian & European bands then that should have produced similar results, but didn't.
I really enjoy hearing Swedes singing in English for example, their accent actually works for them, whilst the German accent seemed to work against them & had a detrimenal effect on my enjoyment of many Deutsch bands from that era.
Don't know why more German bands didn't sing in their native tongue as the guttural vowel sounds & staccato rhythms already present in their language seemed tailor made for Metal.
Apologies. I've digressed yet again. :oops:
Back on topic:
Sodom?
Sod 'em.
:lol:
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

''Obsessed By Cruelty was impenetrable to me as a kid ( some 27+ yrs ago and that means any kind of patience was out of question), though I felt both its sloppiness (or maybe steepness) and monumentality. Back then I found it as aloof as VOIVOD releases and was in awe anyhow. Some parts on Deathlike Silence' and some other tracks are so awkward that could be perceived as "techy". I still find it weird, that the second effort was more chaotic than debut mini. Aggression and darkness fall flat in chaos. Perhaps different track order would help to make it a tiny bit more accessible or who knows. Last but not least, its quite unmemorable
In The Sign fared lot better, primarily due to 'Blasphemer'. It also feels darker. and while Witchhunter was on both the regression still boggles the mind. Perhaps the aim was to create something unlistenably brutal.
Tracks from Obsessed are rarely played by band, if at all. Even on Mortal Way Of Life there's only title-track included.

Kit, interesting that the accent was a such a barrier for you to actually like German thrash. I always heard killer riffs first, pronounciation was tertiary at best, and if there weren't any, who would care for accents. Still, I do remember early Tankard: (Acid Desss, acid desss, ... :lol:
I am ... the One you warned me of
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Hate it.
Knowledge Is Power
Astra Wally

Post by Astra Wally »

When it comes to thrash metal or death metal, I've always loved the precursors that pushed the limits of primitivism, brutality or evilness. Like Sarcofago debut LP or Blasphemy "Blood Upon The Altar" demo (one of the best ever). So yeah early Sodom, that's the shit !
Heaven is yours, Hell is mine
whiteravenmetal

Post by whiteravenmetal »

In The Sign of Evil is easily my favorite Thrash Metal record above all. Obsessed by Cruelty I prefer the original recording, the european release loses plenty of body in the production.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Listening to the german version of Obsessed by Cruelty right now. Classic.
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

whiteravenmetal wrote:In The Sign of Evil is easily my favorite Thrash Metal record above all. Obsessed by Cruelty I prefer the original recording, the european release loses plenty of body in the production.
I thought the original recording was the European one. Is there another version of this one then?
What's the difference between the European and the American one?
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

Zanker wrote:
whiteravenmetal wrote:In The Sign of Evil is easily my favorite Thrash Metal record above all. Obsessed by Cruelty I prefer the original recording, the european release loses plenty of body in the production.
I thought the original recording was the European one. Is there another version of this one then?
Okay...found it on Discogs. This is what it says: "This album was recorded twice. The first recording was turned down by the record label and they sent the band to re-record it again. The Metal Blade and Banzai LP versions and all CD versions contain the first recording while the Steamhammer and Woodstock Discos LP versions contain the second recording which features the song "After the Deluge". On this song, the guitars were played by their then-new guitarist Ahäthoor."
I never knew this! Damn...another one for the wantlist...the American or Canadian one.
whiteravenmetal

Post by whiteravenmetal »

Zanker wrote:
Zanker wrote:
Okay...found it on Discogs. This is what it says: "This album was recorded twice. The first recording was turned down by the record label and they sent the band to re-record it again. The Metal Blade and Banzai LP versions and all CD versions contain the first recording while the Steamhammer and Woodstock Discos LP versions contain the second recording which features the song "After the Deluge". On this song, the guitars were played by their then-new guitarist Ahäthoor."
I never knew this! Damn...another one for the wantlist...the American or Canadian one.
Yeah for sure go for the Metal Blade pressing, also I think they used the first version in the CD issue that contains both ITSOE and OBC. And also both recordings of Obsessed by Cruelty were rereleased on a double LP not so long ago by an american label haha
humus

Post by humus »

Don't worry Zanker, some people are doomed never to own the American version. I have three copies of the Steamhammer edition but never found a Metal blade one. And I missed out on the reissue double LP and now everyone's charging >50 euro for it, which I refuse to pay.
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

humus wrote:Don't worry Zanker, some people are doomed never to own the American version. I have three copies of the Steamhammer edition but never found a Metal blade one. And I missed out on the reissue double LP and now everyone's charging >50 euro for it, which I refuse to pay.
I'll find it someday but it's not a big want for now. I have the CD version.
mordred

Post by mordred »

Zanker wrote:
humus wrote:Don't worry Zanker, some people are doomed never to own the American version. I have three copies of the Steamhammer edition but never found a Metal blade one. And I missed out on the reissue double LP and now everyone's charging >50 euro for it, which I refuse to pay.
If you have it on CD you already have the same version as the Metal Blade/Banzai LP editions. They’re the same, while the Steamhammer LP is a different recording w/ an extra song.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

mordred wrote:
Zanker wrote:
If you have it on CD you already have the same version as the Metal Blade/Banzai LP editions. They’re the same, while the Steamhammer LP is a different recording w/ an extra song.
Yeah..I wish i could think like this... it's that collectors bug that I just can't kill for the moment.
I need this one on vinyl too :?