What's Still Great 20 Years Later?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
vasilis2112

Re: What's Still Great 20 Years Later?

Post by vasilis2112 »

doomedplanet wrote:
vasilis2112 wrote:Wasn’t Slauter Xstroyes Free the Beast released in 1998?
Fantastic album, perhaps album of the year for me!
Free the beast is really old really good shit but unreleased, so it wouldn't count.
Of course you are right! Though when should we say it was released?
Unfair for year 1998 to “lose” such a great album!
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

bigfootkit wrote:I randomly heard 'What You Need' by Entombed the other day and made a mental note to revisit their 'Same Difference' album which came out around '98. Haven't done so yet, and remember being underwhelmed by the album at the time, but that song sounded surprisingly good to me 20 years on.
Gave 'Same Difference' a listen last night after writing this and it is not a task i'll be undertaking again. Far worse than i remembered with 'What You Need' being the only exception, to the point where it sticks out like a sore thumb & sounds like the work of a different band compared to the rest of the disc. Nicke was absolutely right to leave the band to concentrate on The Hellacopters after 'To Ride...'.
My 20 years ago self did well to keep that one mp3 and ditch the rest of the album. I miss that guy, he was ruthless & usually right.
A couple of other great albums that came out in 98 that haven't been mentioned so far:

HOOKERS - II : Black Visions Of Crimson Wisdom (I love all their stuff, but this one & 'Equinox Beyond Tomorrow' are tied as my favourite Hookers records)

[youtube]wvh842Cu_40[/youtube]

FU MANCHU - Eatin' Dust (not quite up to the godlike standard of 'The Action Is Go', but damn close)

[youtube]NN-H63KJB6k[/youtube]
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I still enjoy these 'till today

Arghoslent Galloping Through The Battle Ruins
Aura Noir Deep Tracts of Hell
Damien Thorne Former Life
Death sound of perseverance
Destiny's End Breathe Deep the Dark
Incantation diabolical conquest
Marduk Nightwing
Nifelheim Devil's Force
Nile Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka (only thing I can listen from this band in general)
Running Wild The Rivalry
Jag Panzer age of mastery
Virgin Steele invictus
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You actually cared to listen to those back in 1998? :?:
wicked keeper wrote:
Aeternus and so the night became - NEVER HEARD IT
Amon Amarth once sent from the golden hall - ZZZZZZZZZ
Blind Guardian nightfall in middle earth CONTINUED & RAMPED UP THE SUCKAGE THAT STARTED ON IMAGINATIONS
Candlemass dactylus glomerata - NEVER ACTUALLY HEARD IT, DID LIKE 13th SUN THOUGH
Children of Bodom something wild BOUGHT IT HATED IT GAVE IT AWAY
Cradle of Filth cruelty & the beast EEEEWWWWW
Dawn slaughtersun NEVER HEARD IT
Death sound of perseverance A BORING WANK LIKE ALL DEATH AFTER SPIRITUAL HEALING
Dickinson, Bruce chemical wedding HALF KILLER HALF FILLER
Enslaved bloodheim ONLY OWN ELD
Iced Earth something wicked this way comes SEE CHILDREN OF BODOM
In Flames whoracle DITTO
In the Woods three times seven on a pilgrimage THE FIRST TRACK ON OMNIO IS ALL THE ITW I NEED
Incantation diabolical conquest DONT CARE AFTER MORTAL THRONE
Jag Panzer age of mastery STILL RULES
Katatonia discouraged ones GO AWAY
King Diamond voodoo MEH
Lord Weird Slough Feg twilight of the idols STILL RULES
Monster Magnet power trip WHEN THEY STARTED SUCKING
Nightwish ocean born SEE CRADLE OF FILTH
Nocturnal Rites tales of mystery & imagination LAST GOOD ALBUM STILL RULES
Opeth mourningrise SEE COF & NIGHTWISH
Orange Goblin time traveling blues SEE ICED EARTH & COB - STONER ROCK AT ITS WORST
Savatage wake of MagellanZZZZZZZ....ANOTHER ONE QUICKLY BANISHED FROM THE COLLECTION
Symphony X twilight in Olympus DIVINE WINGS IS ALL I NEED
Therion vovin ACTUALLY LIKE THIS...WAS THE FIRST THERION ALBUM I EVER HEARD... :lol:
Virgin Steele invictus BEST ALBUM MANOWAR NEVER MADE
While Heaven Wept sorrow of the angels STILL RULES
I am ... the One you warned me of
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Aeternus and so the night became heard it back then, but it hadn't moved me
Amon Amarth once sent from the golden hall never cared to hear it
Blind Guardian nightfall in middle earth heard only Curse of Feanor and actually like it. heard the rest in 2005 and find it sleep-inducing
Candlemass dactylus glomerata cared not to hear it at the time, do you think I should?
Children of Bodom something wild heard one track back, but like I wouldn't - zero remembrance
Cradle of Filth cruelty & the beast never cared to hear it
Dawn slaughtersun haven't heard it yet, but I still like the front cover
Death sound of perseverance actually like it, but not as much as previous records
Dickinson, Bruce chemical wedding haven't heard it yet
Enslaved bloodhemn heard it, find it a huge step backwards for them at the time
Iced Earth something wicked this way comes heard one track back then and actually like it but later forgot about whole album
In Flames whoracle same as above
In the Woods three times seven on a pilgrimage sheer boredom-inducement of Omnio nearly killed me, so I haven't tried anything else by them since. I dare to say that atmospherics/ambient doesn't fare well with heavy metal in any form!
Incantation diabolical conquest cared not to hear it at the time, maybe I'll give it a try, eventually
Jag Panzer age of mastery I remember I listened to one track from one of 90's compilations, I remember it was quite technical, but not a single note
Katatonia discouraged ones cared not to hear it at the time, that hasn't changed since
King Diamond voodoo haven't heard it yet
Lord Weird Slough Feg twilight of the idols same as above
Monster Magnet power trip Dopes To Infinity was an album I liked at around first five listens, but with each subsequent listen I like it less, so I simply stopped listening to it .... soooo I haven't bothered myself with PT
Nightwish ocean born hate to say it but this may be the only band I disliked on the basis certain other ppl liked
Nocturnal Rites tales of mystery & imagination cared not to hear it at the time, that hasn't changed since
Opeth mourningrise never cared to hear it, I dare say I haven't missed much
Orange Goblin time traveling blues same as above
Savatage wake of Magellan actually I have this, but struggle with it whenever I put it in the player
Symphony X twilight in Olympus same as Iced Earth
Therion vovin This is where their creative trajectory turned decidedly downwards IMHO
Virgin Steele invictus based on a killer thread that Alan initiated elsewhere here, I actually put this on the "to be listened to" list, but I can't remember if I actually listened to it or not
While Heaven Wept sorrow of the angels haven't heard it yet
1998 was a year when metal subgenres really started to fail to satiate my sonic needs, though not as acutely as in the next three years to follow. The 1998 album I listened to the most and of course still like it is Heaven Forbid. (Yeah, 'Kit, we're at it again.) I think I also liked one track from Covenant's Nexus Polaris, and I liked about a half of Nile's Amongst Catacombs of Nephren-Ka. One other album I put a lot energy into was Chaosphere. And that was all about 1998.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote:1998 was a year when metal subgenres really started to fail to satiate my sonic needs.
I'm with you Noisenik. Not specific to that year in my case, but from the mid-90's on i became disillusioned with the current bands & releases & was more interested in searching out vintage stuff i'd previously missed out on.
Traditional Metal felt to me stagnant at the time, with all the innovation then taking place in the more extreme sub-genres.
But most of that stuff left me cold, so i began doing more & more time travelling back to the 80s to get my musical kicks & later on, the 70s.
This became a lot easier & more affordable around this time because of all the CD reissues & later even more so thanks to the web. If i'm being honest, around 1998 i was probably playing Leafhound's 'Growers Of Mushroom', the Dust albums, Cirith Ungol & the first Captain Beyond more than anything that was then current.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Just to clarify, I just listed a bunch of eleases from '98. I make no claim that most of them are good or bad; it was just a random list to get the conversation started.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Alan, no worry, have noticed that, as you haven't commented on (most of) them. I chose to comment on them by the keeper's model. I wanted to show how 1998 metawise failed to provide joy, I was used to from previous years. Esp. I found it and I still do, how 1997 was still brimming with material that interested me and how visible interest waned through the 1998. As differing from Kit, I had no problem with extreme genres. It seems that emerging production approaches and the race for that ever fatter sound on one side, or that anemic, ambiental reduction of air on the other were the cause.

Forgot to mention: One other album that I still like is Formulas Fatal To Flesh. On the other hand, The Mists Of Avalon was not mentioned. So un-good?
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

The Chemical Wedding head and shoulders above everything else. Masterpiece.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Noisenik wrote: One other album that I still like is Formulas Fatal To Flesh.
I really like this album, although I think it'd be much better if Pete Sandoval would shut the fuck up a little bit. It actually might be my second all time favorite Morbid Angel album. I haven't listened to Covenant in many years, so I'd need to listen to that again to see if nowadays I'd put it above or below FFttF.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

I'd certainly take FFttF or even Gateways over that "Bow to me pompously" stuff.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
DMR

Post by DMR »

Helloween - Better Than Raw
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth

Those are two of my all time favorite albums. Other really good ones:

Bal-Sagoth - Battle Magic
Anata - The Infernal Depths of Hatred
Mithotyn - King of the Distant Forest
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Mithotyn, haven't stumbled across that name in a long time! I really liked that album when it came out, but it didn't age that well. the songs became very 'samey' sounding, which is a problem I have with lots of bands that play 'viking metal' fare; it's not bad, I just get tired of listening to it after a little while.

'Better Than Raw' didn't do too much for me; I think it was at that point I realized Helloween were never gonna get back to their classic 'Keepers'-era sound, so I just quit paying attention to them. This was the last Helloween album I bought
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky