OVERRATED METAL SCENES

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
ION BRITTON

OVERRATED METAL SCENES

Post by ION BRITTON »

Which one you believe is the most overrated?

As far as i am concerned, without any difficulty and lots of thinking my vote goes for the Spanish scene. We're talking about tons of uninspired and boring to death bands, many of which i really love to hate. I almost know what i'm going to hear when i see certain song titles and album covers of such bands and on the 95% of the cases i'm not wrong after all. Four or five noteworthy outfits are the exception to the rule and won't save the situation.

You can shoot me now, but first you have to know that it was quite a relief sharing my opinion with you. :D
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I don't know much about their DM scene, but I do think they had one of the weakest 80's Metal scenes, at least as far as good ol' decent songwriting goes. I recently picked up the EVO debut LP and that one was a nice surprise, but more often than not I'm disappointed with Spaniard Steel.

It's weird (and Mr. Daub and Shreut may flame me for this), but after downloading and listening to most of the stuff on the 80sfrenchmetal blog I actually came out liking the old French scene less than before. Sure, there's plenty of killer albums and bands from France, but a whole lot of mediocre stuff too.

There. Flame away.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

I totally agree about the statement on the Eighties French Scene. The pioneers released some exciting albums : Blasphème, Sortilège, Voie de Fait, Vulcain (though this one was totally unoriginal), ADX, Warning, Killers .... . But the scene was quiclky polluted by hordes of followers who were quite mediocre. There were tons of copycat bands releasing bad albums (shitty unoriginal songwriting, fucked-up musicians and very bad productions).

By the way, this statement can be applyed to almost every scene : pioneers are good, the labels begin to sign every-band-in-that-style without any discernement between bad and good bands which provokes the death of the scene in question.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

...not to mention the godawful post-85 Swedish Eüröpe-clone scene. In no other country on the planet has one band done so much evil (erm, the bad kind of evil) to its own scene :evil: :evil: :evil:
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

No France ruled back in the 80's with bands such as Steel Angel,Axton Pryte,Venin,Blaspheme i can't say anyhting about spanish heavy metal since i have heard only Exodo and they seem pretty good to me.My vote for the worst European scene goes to Portugal.And no no don't try to review Sweden as one of the worst since all the Scandinavia has the best Metal Scene(well behind German)and after 85:who can forget Arrow-Diary Of A Soldier,Phoenix-Say Goodbye some titles of Swedish Bands after 85 and Europe IS METAL TO ME even the Final Countdown.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Fucking Åmål wrote:My vote for the worst European scene goes to Portugal.
I think you misinterpreted the meaning of the topic. Frankly, I can't recall one single person throughout my quest of obscure metal praising the scene of Portugal. Possibly, most of the fans have only heard 2-3 bands from that country and maybe that's the reason i hear so scarcely comments about the quality of the scene. Personally, i have heard quite a lot of stuff from Portugal and it was not that good indeed. But i'm talking about countries that fans and collectors used to glorify its metal scene. Do you have something in mind?
pentagramophone

Post by pentagramophone »

DaN wrote:...not to mention the godawful post-85 Swedish Eüröpe-clone scene. In no other country on the planet has one band done so much evil (erm, the bad kind of evil) to its own scene :evil: :evil: :evil:
Make that post-86. And you know perfectly well you can dump all that shit to me. You just gotta admire those Infernal Majesty hairdos they all had... and evil is good even when it's bad, mmmkay?

I'm also forced to give my 12 points to Spain on this topic.
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

I think all the asian scene including Japan will never have and i think will never had a good scene,i mean these guys maybe good in technology but when we speaking about heavy metal these countries are far behind...the rising sun.
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

I dont give a shit of what scene is worse or overated. In every country I have found very good bands (some other bad, you know) and I prefer to ignore the ones which are not good.
I rather woulod prefer to mention underated scenes.
Azaras

Post by Azaras »

Fucking Åmål wrote:I think all the asian scene including Japan will never have and i think will never had a good scene,i mean these guys maybe good in technology but when we speaking about heavy metal these countries are far behind...the rising sun.
In my opinion Japan dealt death to all but the UK in the glory days of the heaviest of metal, 1969 - 1978-ish. That time and place and those bands are also UNDERRATED... but by my opinion, again.
mordred

Post by mordred »

I can't agree about the french scene. With really good-to fantastic acts such as Sortilège, ADX, Blaspheme, Nightmare, Steel Angel (only first album), H Bomb, High Power etcetera in their lineup truth is few european countries spawned so many great bands.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I don't think any ancient metal-scene is overated. Every country has its jewels and abortions. I must say that I definately love the French-scene, it's overloaded with great bands, which are mentioned before. The Dutch scene is also great and worth the time researching it.
Long Live The Loud !!!
msp

Post by msp »

6 years on..... :P

Yeah, the Spanish scene could be classed as overated, although I have never met anyone who truly rates it. A number of the records look like they promise a lot but end of being a bit lame - EXCALIBUR's 'Generacion Maldita' for example.

Portugal and Austria could also be considered a bit 'meh' in my book as well
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

Maybe it is not overrated, but I`ve never heard a bad word about the Finnish metal of the 80`s (I mean the scene in general) and I personally cannot find much real valuable things there. Classic metal albums (by Iron Cross, Loud Crowd, Riff Rafff a bit too) are by and large average to me (Fire in the Brain being a glorious exception), and I don`t like all those technical thrash bands from the end of the decade at all. Suffice it to say my favourite Finnish recording is the first Phlegethon demo, the kind of music I usually avoid.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Japan and Spain for sure...
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.