BAY AREA THRASH

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

Exodus and Heathen had the best stuff IMO... and Heathen are still good! (that recent demo slays) Lääz Rockit I prefer their more early power material, catchy band. Ulysses Siren sounds really riff happy and awesome too.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

The Sentinel wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the BLIND ILLUSION LP is a RIPPER?
No, you're not alone. I still enjoy it, as well as the Blood Shower demo.
Rock Beast

Post by Rock Beast »

Since the genre of Thrash metal feels so finite and boring (so many bands sounds like the other. The same for Black Metal) I have never found the real passion in the genre. But still, 2 first POSSESSED LPs are great and the same with METALLICA. If i Listen to Thrash I mainly go for more genuin stuff like MORBID SAINT or early INQUISITION.
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Only EXODUS-Bonded By Blood and the two albums of the GODS GRIFFIN(underrated band though).That's i think are the best S.F speed/thrash bands(Metallica don't count they were from L.A)
wicked keeper

Post by wicked keeper »

Easily the most overrated Metal scene of the 80's...

Having said that - Death Angel's Ultraviolence , Exodus' Bonded by Blood & Sadus' first two are all masterpieces.

And Dan I agree about Seemingly Endless Time being a killer track - they used to play that clip all the time on late night Oz TV back in the early 90's ,but the rest of that album is very average and I can't believe someone who hates Anthrax as much as you likes it -because to me Belladonna era Anthrax is what that album reminds me of the most -particularly State of Euphoria (although admittedly 100x better) :lol:
®O©O

Post by ®O©O »

nothig much to say, mostly all is top for me...
but about Blind illusion - when I first heard them I was soooo impressed
and I still think of them like that... fenomenal band!
mordred

Post by mordred »

God, I must be the only person on the planet to consider "Pleasures of the Flesh" the best Exodus LP.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Noisenik wrote: But if I'd have to consider Apocalypse' debut as Bay Area thrash, than I declare it the best Bay Area thrash album ever recorded. :twisted: :wink:

So considered as a scene has some absolute musts and some pretty drowsy stuff. Every band treated separately ...
About non BA bands / albums with BA sound, I'd definitely pick Artillery's By Inheritance as my favorite! (Of course after the Forbidden and Metallica's masterpieces).
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

@ Sovdat:

I like Artillery because I thought they sounded different and not very Bay Area...

It must be one of the most overrated scenes in 80's metal I prefer other American thrash like Whiplash and Overkill much more than anything those Bay Area bands mentioned above released. I do like Forbidden, Laaz Rockit, Vio-lence, Exodus etc but none of those bands have released any truly amazing albums. It's so monotonous, good taken in small does...

The European Thrash scene however give me Sabbat, Artillery, Deathrow and Destruction any day over those bay area bands.
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Well, of course that it's different, but BI had a lot of BA influences, and speaking of Deathrow, ther final album as well :)
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

At the end of 80's a lot of bands were BA influenced. Beneath The Remains has some influences and - I dare to say - even Agent Orange. And I also dare to say Apocalypse is more BA influenced than By Inheritance. Of course, By Inheritance is an excellent album as well.
I am ... the One you warned me of
DTP

Post by DTP »

SACRILEGE B.C.?

debut's a ripper, followup's slower and more typical chugga-bayarea crunch, but it's grown on me...

most BayArea thrash is too tame for me, but POSSESSED, VIO-LENCE, ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT (killer crossover!) and 'the ultra-violence' still gets regular spins 'round here..
Helm

Post by Helm »

Rock Beast wrote: early INQUISITION.
hm but aren't they a Kreator clone at that point? I mean I like the early stuff to a degree but I think we can talk about Inquisition being original more when they debuted the Popeye rolling monophononic black metal thing they did later on. Still nobody else out there that sounds like them in that guise.

But Kreator clones?... dime a dozen.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Early INQUISITION (EP + DEMO) were influenced heavily by KREATOR (esp. Terrible Certainty + Extreme Aggression era), i wouldn't call them clones though. Not very original either. There's some really good inspired and technical riffing in their early stuff, the complexity of the songstructures differentiates from the rest of the clones.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Helm

Post by Helm »

Yeah I was led towards Inquisition when I was asking here about technothrash, and whereas they're not, I kept the music and returned to it quite often for a while. There's a lot to like in the early material but love it or hate it, their later black metal style is inimitable whereas there were a lot of bands playing in their early style, that was my whole point.