Brazilian Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Cyrcka

Re: Brazilian Metal

Post by Cyrcka »

I am! I thought I was the only one ahahaha
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Cyrcka wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:44 am I am! I thought I was the only one ahahaha
Cool. I've often found it hard to recommend some stand-out 80's trad. HM from Brazil. Alta Tensao, Stress, Azul Limao, Salario Minimo, Centurias etc, they're all OK, but not really must-buys on an international level. O.N. I feel I can recommend to anyone into olde quality Steel, even if they were a bit late in the game..
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

Hmm. That's funny! :D
I don't like ORQUIDEA NEGRA at all!
On the other side ALTA TENSAO's Metalmorphose is a must have!
The best from Brasil for me!
Then Harppia!
Then Stress, Calibre 38, Centurias
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Weirdo! :lol:
Strictly from the 80's my faves would be the HARPPIA debut, VIPER debut and ALTA TENSAO's "Portal do Inferno". And of course SP Metal I & II.
Cyrcka

Post by Cyrcka »

Since I am a big fan of Brazilian Metal, it is hard for me to choose only one album. These are my favorites (excluding extreme Metal): Viper-Soldiers of Sunrise (1987), Alta Tensão-Portal do Inferno (1987), Kamikaze-Kamikaze (1986), Harppia-A ferro e fogo (1985), Calibre 38-Calibre 38 (1988), Stress-Stress (1982), Zona Abissal - Zona Abissal (1988), Azul Limão – Vingança (1986). Shock– Heavy Metal We Salute You (1992), Angra-Angels Cry...
Zombie Dance

Post by Zombie Dance »

Centurias - Ultima Noite MLP 1986 is really solid.
The Metal album that the pop/latin singer Roberthino Do Recife recorded in 1984 called Metal Mania is really cool too for Metalsploitation! Ramses (mex) like Metal I'd say.

Virgem Atomica (cool name) has a very cool sound as well and some great compositions, vocals are a bit of a letdown though...
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

We shouldn't forget the very underrated but highly interesting albums of
Cortina Di Ferro - Temple of the darkness
Venus - same
Clavion - Beyond the frontier

Also Centurias' second LP "Ninja" features some cool Power Metal bangers.
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Prowler wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:11 pm Cortina Di Ferro - Temple of the darkness
Needed to reaquaint myself with this one so checked it out on YT... Some of the tunes are absolute top-notch neo-classical epic power, but my doG how that weak mix ruins it! :( :( ...and I don't know what to think of that "Breaking The Law" cover. The keys make it sound like a Demon-track. Maybe an experiment that could also have turned out cool if it weren't for that bloody mix. Might need to pick this up just "discover" it properly..

Will check CLAVION next.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

To me personally that Clavion LP is amoung the top 3 brazilian Heavy Metal LP's. I'm just worried a bit that whenever it comes to discussions like this NOONE ever mentions Clavion.

Also Firebox's - Out of control LP might be a bit too late from 1992, but I'd call them the brazilian Motörhead with a strong edge of (german) Tyrant. Those who look for Motörhead-ish sounds should definitely check em out.
The Ripper

Post by The Ripper »

DaN wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:07 pm
Prowler wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:11 pm Cortina Di Ferro - Temple of the darkness
Needed to reaquaint myself with this one so checked it out on YT... Some of the tunes are absolute top-notch neo-classical epic power, but my doG how that weak mix ruins it! :( :( ...and I don't know what to think of that "Breaking The Law" cover. The keys make it sound like a Demon-track. Maybe an experiment that could also have turned out cool if it weren't for that bloody mix. Might need to pick this up just "discover" it properly..

Will check CLAVION next.
That Priest cover is so ridiculous that is instantly a cult classic! Mispelled lyrics, wrong mix, in fact the whole album seems to be a demo that somehow got pressed on vinyl! Too bad, 'cause there was some potential there especially on the guitar side...
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Basically it's always a big mistake if bands try to cover known songs, since they always will fail. Especially when they try to wanna play hits of big bands. As a musician myself I'd suggest bands who have plans to do the same, let other independent people listen to it first and when they say it sounds crappy then leave it be. Playing cover versions on stage is one thing, but on a studio recording you'll in 95 of 100 cases fail.
One of the best cover versions to me is Celtic Frost's "Mexican radio", because they played it their own way. The song itself could be a CF creation itself, that's why sounds that authentic. Just recently bought a record and the band played really tight together, but then threw out a cover version and it sounded like bloody beginners would rape it...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

The Ripper wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:32 pmThat Priest cover is so ridiculous that is instantly a cult classic! Mispelled lyrics, wrong mix, in fact the whole album seems to be a demo that somehow got pressed on vinyl! Too bad, 'cause there was some potential there especially on the guitar side...
Agree 100%.
Prowler wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:50 am To me personally that Clavion LP is amoung the top 3 brazilian Heavy Metal LP's. I'm just worried a bit that whenever it comes to discussions like this NOONE ever mentions Clavion.

Also Firebox's - Out of control LP might be a bit too late from 1992, but I'd call them the brazilian Motörhead with a strong edge of (german) Tyrant. Those who look for Motörhead-ish sounds should definitely check em out.
The sound of Clavion wasn't quite as bad as CDF, but they had a few too many "melodic" tunes for me to instantly fall in love. Some really cool tracks there as well though. If found cheap...

Yeah I remember liking Firebox as well - need to give it a spin again soon (it was probably 10+ years since the last time :lol: )

Btw, anyone have an original ZONA ABISSAL for sale? Will pay €100 for an EX/EX copy...
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

DaN wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:47 pm Btw, anyone have an original ZONA ABISSAL for sale? Will pay €100 for an EX/EX copy...
You should be happy to score a vg+/vg+ copy at that price seriously.
Cyrcka

Post by Cyrcka »

I completely forgot about Clavion! Damn good.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

And one more record that noone ever mentions when it comes to Brazilian Metal discussions.
Garcia & Garcia - Mr. Fire (1991)

For people into symphonic Power Metal, quite a house number ... but cheap as fuck (10 Euro).