Greek Heavy Metal?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Destrozer

Greek Heavy Metal?

Post by Destrozer »

Well, I'm listening to Blind Justice now and came to think that there are not many people talking about old bands from Greece. Which bands are you familiar with? And yes, we all have heard Rotting Christ hehe...
Also Portugal had a pretty "unknown" scene, or?
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I still haven't been able to pick up a copy of the much hyped CRUSH - "Kingdom of the kings" (funniest Metal LP title ever?). I heard it years ago and liked it a lot. NORTHWIND's "Mythology" is another one I've heard and liked a lot, but missed to pick up when I had the chance.

My fave Greeks will always be FLAMES though, "Live at the slaughterhouse", "Summon the dead" and "Last Prophecy" are some of the finest European thrash ever.

VAVEL on the other hand is really fuckin boring. Bloody collector hype if you ask me.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Here are some recommendations of mine:

DECEPTOR: Excellent power metal with a strong thrash edge and an amazing vocalist-surely one of the best of the Greek scene.

NEMESIS: Classic heavy/power stuff. Worth checking it out for the unbelievable vocal parts.

TRADE MARK: Nice melodic hard rock. One of the rarest EPs, it appears seldom even here in Greece.

MYSTERY: I strongly suggest you try their debut EP. Flawless guitar work in the MALMSTEEN vein.

INNERWISH: If you're into melodic, lyrical heavy metal then their 1st album is truly a must.

RAGING STORM: Epic metal to the end. Very close to the classic US metal sound. Absolutely in my Greek top-10!

Tons of black/thrash bands: UNHOLY ARCHANGEL,ZEMIAL,AGATUS,HORRIFIED etc.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

There's also Spitfire, they released an album (First Attack) in 1987
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

I would mention Rust (Heavy), Piranah (Thrash), Dark Nova (Heavy), Nigel Foxes Inc (Guitar player for Flames, power metal), and some other I cant remeber right now
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Greece in the 80's had a significant scene but pretty unknown even to us.
Later in the 80's and in the early ninetees many bands released some discs that some of them are O.T.T.

My favourite Greek bands are Sarissa,Vavel,Flames,Raw Silk,Spitfire,Crush .There are some obscure stuff that exist nowhere in the internet i mention a few bands that released an at least LP in the 80's.
80's Lp's by Bands:
BOOBY TRAP
SCHMETTERLING
VILLA 21

As for demos and bands that took part with a track there were zounds.My city in the 80's and early ninetees had 3 metal clubs and some bands.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Thanx for the link, FÅ. I've been meaning to add that article to my link page before, but then lost it.

DARK NOVA I've been very curious about. It's a killer band name and the description sounds very kool. Is it as good as I think?
BOOBY TRAP
SCHMETTERLING
VILLA 21
All new names to me. Care to give some short descriptions?
Fucking Åmål

Re: Greek Heavy Metal?

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Destrozer wrote:Also Portugal had a pretty "unknown" scene, or?
No i don't think Portugal had ever a good scene i have only one band Tarantula and i don't like them at all.In my opinion an not so popular metal country is Austria i have three bands Stormwave,Maniac,Happl but all of them kick serious ass.
BestialLust

Post by BestialLust »

Am I the only person here who likes this?

DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I've only heard TARANTULA from Portugal. That debut album is a bit, ahem, 'special'. Playing and production is utter shit, but the songs are surprisingly good melodic Metal. It's a weird one, that's for sure. Many have recommended IBERIA, but I've never heard them. Any opinions on this band?
pentagramophone

Post by pentagramophone »

BestialLust wrote:Am I the only person here who likes this?

No, you are not alone. If I guess the aplhabets correct his name is Dimitris Katis or something and the group is Exoristoi.

I'd be interested in hearing the later albums as well.
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

pentagramophone wrote:
BestialLust wrote:Am I the only person here who likes this?

No, you are not alone. If I guess the aplhabets correct his name is Dimitris Katis or something and the group is Exoristoi.

I'd be interested in hearing the later albums as well.
Yes you are correct about the spelling.I have only heard the song ''Kano Mia Efchi'' in a girl's compilation.which is quite good but i think tend more to hard rock than to Heavy Metal.Also in Greece's Metal Hammer always underrated and laughted at this band,there were so much hostility towards the band also from the media and the majority of metalheads in Greece.
pentagramophone

Post by pentagramophone »

Fucking Åmål wrote: Yes you are correct about the spelling.I have only heard the song ''Kano Mia Efchi'' in a girl's compilation.which is quite good but i think tend more to hard rock than to Heavy Metal.Also in Greece's Metal Hammer always underrated and laughted at this band,there were so much hostility towards the band also from the media and the majority of metalheads in Greece.
I found some mp3's on a fansite that was linked from the Metal Archives. Mostly from this bebut but a couple of newr ones too.

I guess they suffered the bad press as they were pioneers in singing in Greek. The stupidity of heavy metal lyrics were easily ignored in the non-English speaking countries back in the in the 80's but when someone actually did the unthinkable and sung the same stuff in their mother tongue it hit the press like a ton of bricks. Happened here in Finland too to bands like MOOTTORILINNUT, O.S.S.Y etc.

You are correct about EXORISTOI not being a straight ahead heavy metal. Epic hard rock might cut it. Actually at their best they do remind me of some of the mildly experimental East European metal.

And on this topic I can't help blurting the following out: I think VAVEL's "Fight with Metal" has the most hilarious non-metal chorus of a metal anthem ever. Pure comedy.
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

pentagramophone wrote:And on this topic I can't help blurting the following out: I think VAVEL's "Fight with Metal" has the most hilarious non-metal chorus of a metal anthem ever. Pure comedy.
Yes this song has a childish chorus but overally the album is one of the best Greek metal releases although i think their second Lp is a little better(mainly because of the production and the catchy songs) i also have downloaded Exoristoi's MP3s.
Don't forget to see RAW SILK-Street Girl on www.youtube.com one of the finest moments from greek heavy metal also this video is a bit glam and really 80's just see it![/u]