Dutch Steel

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

Re: Dutch Steel

Post by DaN »

Any dutch or others know more about the band BLACK FLAME? Just added a review of their 7" from '78. Pretty feckin' Heavy for that year of release I'd say:

[youtube]cGy5H7k9TII[/youtube]
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

DaN wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:43 pm Any dutch or others know more about the band BLACK FLAME? Just added a review of their 7" from '78. Pretty feckin' Heavy for that year of release I'd say:
Nice find, totally unknown to me & right up my alley.
Astra Wally might perhaps be the guy to ask, he's pretty clued up on most things heavy from the lowlands of this era.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Yeah, It'd be really cool if there's more material to dig up from this band. Next time I have the computer hooked up to my stereo I'll rip the tune from the Koppop-comp. It's a bit quirky but I think I like it even more than the 7" A-side.

...and that logo on the comp-sleeve would make an awesome patch!
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Got connected with Paul Van Rijswijk and wonder how is the 2017 EMERALD in your opinion?
I am ... the One you warned me of
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

DaN wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:26 am Yeah, It'd be really cool if there's more material to dig up from this band. Next time I have the computer hooked up to my stereo I'll rip the tune from the Koppop-comp. It's a bit quirky but I think I like it even more than the 7" A-side.

...and that logo on the comp-sleeve would make an awesome patch!
Please add the Howling Hurricane track.
I bet it's also their best.

Who cares if they were too light with such a singer ?

Knowledge Is Power
Yronbeast86

Post by Yronbeast86 »

Cool! Would very much love to hear Howling Hurricane. The name of this band sounds quite intriguing.
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

They released one 7" in 1978.
If my memory serves me well there's one track that's really good. I'll have to check.
Later on she formed THE DOLLY DOTS.. Older members from Holland and Belgium will remember this band very well.
howling hurricane.jpg
howling hurricane.jpg (45.41 KiB) Viewed 6675 times
howling hurricane2.jpg
howling hurricane2.jpg (30.94 KiB) Viewed 6675 times
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

There's a dude singing on the Howling Hurricane track on Koppop, so I would love to hear that 7"! I just posted the BF and HH tracks + a few other olde Dutch obscurities in Poisonoise btw.
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

DaN wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:19 pm There's a dude singing on the Howling Hurricane track on Koppop, so I would love to hear that 7"! I just posted the BF and HH tracks + a few other olde Dutch obscurities in Poisonoise btw.
I used to have a cd recorder where i could rip records but it broke a year ago. Pretty sure there's a YouTube video somewhere. I'll have a look later.
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

Just checked and both Howling Huricane songs are on YouTube.
Dreamt up rock
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e7j6Qx3sNM[/youtube]
Hot lips
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvl-zjv-oV4[/youtube]
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

The Howling Hurricane compi-track Dan posted is wayyy better than these ones as i said on my 1st post.

These on the 7'' are just a bit better than Suzi Quatro in my opinion....interesting mostly for historical reasons for the ones who like to understand the rise of the metal scene on each european country.
Knowledge Is Power
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

rumblefist wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:07 pm The Howling Hurricane compi-track Dan posted is wayyy better than these ones as i said on my 1st post.

These on the 7'' are just a bit better than Suzi Quatro in my opinion....interesting mostly for historical reasons for the ones who like to understand the rise of the metal scene on each european country.
Need to check the 1980 track. The 7" is indeed 70's rock with some heavy moments. Not metal for sure.
edit: just listened to the compi track and i prefer the 7" with female vocals..but to each his own ofcourse.
Hans

Post by Hans »

For Black Flame, I myself prefer the A-side from the 7" above this "escape" track, the guitar is relentless heavy on this one. Well the Escape track is more Metal and nice guitars. In the past I have contacted the guitarist (who is still in a band btw, its called Greenhouse), but no material he had/wishes to share.

I like the Howling Hurricane - Lonely track, thanks for this one.

B-BAYER-BAND_Freedom-Of-Action,
HEROEZ_Rock-And-Roll-Heroe
SKINZZY_Flash-In-The-Night
Thanks Dan, amazing!! Didnt know this compilation, absolutely love all this stuff!!

A nice find I made is this 7" '84 : Escape-Devils-Girl / Nightfighters.
Was totally unknown to me. Sloppy stuff but I love the guitars, also the B track is great, only short version on youtube.

This one is also an OK one, its hardrock.
Onyx // Walls Drive Me Mad / Come On 7" 1980
I thought its the same vocalist of later Sad Iron.

I contacted Jack Pisters, guitarist of Avalon about the robot cover "Third move" EP
He told me this is the second edition of the EP, all in all 2200 pressed, he thought 1000 robot copies. I further enquired about this, because its extremely rare to see the robot edition. He then said, its hard to tell how many were pressed..long time ago etc... But its supposed to be the 2d edition (other say robot is 1st ?), made because the painting cover was to childish, so a guy from local village made a 'zeefdruk' of the robot cover, dont know english word, also a t-shirt of robot cover was made.
Im not sure of all this is correct, I think hes off, but who knows maybe a bunch was destroyed, but thats what he told me. I dont have this LP, always looking for it.

Also I found out that the Random // Knocking / Stars 7" does not exist.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

As this thread's just been necromanced of late i thought i'd take the opportunity to highlight some good Dutch Heavy Rock/Proto-Metal 45s from the early 70s which may have flown under the radar of those with an interest in such early artifacts.

MUSHROOM - Crying For You (1971)
[youtube]4Yia9pUvfEE[/youtube]

SEPTEMBER - Little Sister (1970)
[youtube]xPYvKuc0oD8[/youtube]

PINEAPPLE - The Letter (1971)
[youtube]-6p_Xw7R1I0[/youtube]

BINTANGS - Demons (1971)
[youtube]-9NstaB3ags[/youtube]

SPIRIT OF St. LOUIS - See Me Go (1970)
[youtube]rIFIeOiywSA[/youtube]

TEMPLE - Triple Guitar (1971)
[youtube]mD8Oni6c0f8[/youtube]

BLOW BALL - When I Die (1972)
[youtube]v_oMu1wtImg[/youtube]

BAG - Nothing Will Remain (1969)
[youtube]1wl3M6QbzTE[/youtube]

Just the tip of the iceberg.
The lowlands had an abundant pool of talent playing in this style at that time, so there's lots more out there that's well worth investigating.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Hans

Post by Hans »

Thank you, this is nice stuff.