One obscure gem to rule them all...

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Pestkrieg

Post by Pestkrieg »

Reading through some of the reviews on the site, I came across the following lines in the Danger Zone review...

'Imagine being this average, ignorant Metalhead who can't for 1 second understand why anyone would spend any time or money looking for rare and obscure old metal vinyls, when it's so much easier to listen to your old JUDAS PRIEST or IRON MAIDEN-platters for the umpfteenthousand time. Imagine being invited into my home, where we grab a few beers in front of the stereo and you say something silly like "so why ya doin' it DaN, collecting all this crap?". Now I need to prove to you with just 1 album that digging up this stuff is actually worthwhile and the obscene pricetags sometimes (sometimes) justified...To make a point we need a classic, topnotch PURE METAL gem of outstanding quality and scarcity, catchy and accessible enough for the most narrow-minded, grumpiest Metal-fan.'

What would you pick as THE obscure metal masterpiece?
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Good but tricky question. Problem is defining the term "obscurity". In the old pre-internet days Heathens Rage and Slauter Xstroyes would be considered as metal obscurities. Nowadays, everyone who's slightly into the 80s sound knows and has heard both bands, one way or another. In addition, lots of practically unobtainable in the 80s and 90s rare metal albums have been rereleased or reissued, being no longer the holy grails that only a few people had the chance to listen to. By today's standards real obscurities for me are for example Far East and Metal Merchant. I have to think of it a bit...
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

I'll second you ION BRITTON. But on the other hand I think in these internetz/google generation days we still have OBSCURE bands.Bands like HOLOCAUST - Slay That Dragon or BATTLECHRYST - God's Warriors can be named as REAL Obscurities or some USA bands with 7" records. I mean if there's still NO MP3s freely available on Blogs/Youtube it's still OBSCURE Band/Record.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

There will always be obscure bands than almost no one has ever heard of. That doesn't mean they'd be my pick for the title "obscure metal masterpiece", since frankly, many of the more obscure bands suck. :-P

I'd pick Leather Nunn - Take The Night for sure.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Ryür

Post by Ryür »

Khnud wrote:many of the more obscure bands suck. :-P.
Yeah ! :D
Pavlos

Post by Pavlos »

EXODO - The New Babylon

Sure, everybody here knows this record. But for the average metalhead (Dan is talking about in his Danger Zone Review) this should be good, obscure and convincing enough.

A perfect record, if you ask me....
daniel

Post by daniel »

Agree with some of the above assessments of what constitutes genuine obscurity, still I'd pick EMERALD - Armed For Battle as a record to play :)

Opinions opinions, but the Leather Nun record never struck me as so amazing, too straightforward and samey ;)
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Moonchild

Post by Moonchild »

Prodigy - As Darkness Reigns untouchable USPM. It REIGNS over everything!
UP THE IRONS BITCHES!!!!!
daniel

Post by daniel »

What if we just stick to vinyl?
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

daniel wrote:Opinions opinions, but the Leather Nun record never struck me as so amazing, too straightforward and samey ;)
Yeah, that's why I picked it. If I were to play Spectral Incursion to someone who normally listens to Priest and Maiden, I'd probably just confirm his or her idea that chasing obscure albums is a waste of time. They'd never "get it".
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
msp

Post by msp »

Well, the DANGER ZONE record is up there, but I would also have to add the WILD PUSSY ep. Great riffs, strong vocal performance
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

I'd like to throw in EMERALD "Downtown".
Dunno if the vocals would make Priest-Maiden-Manowar-only listeners run...?
See the flash of lightning cutting the edge of steel!
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Yeah, there are different levels of obscurity. Today's average metal fan has never heard a lot of 80s/90s bands. For example, at a record show a year or two ago this guy really into power metal asked what Warlord sounded like. To him, 'Deliver Us' was obscure.

Then there's the average 80s metal crowd. They know the Warlords and Omens of the world just fine, but the stuff that was on private labels eludes most of them. They may have heard names like Slauter Xstroyes and Leather Nunn, but they may not have heard anything by them, and they've certainly never heard of stuff like Metal Merchant.
I call this the 'Lapland Metal crowd' because it reflects the crowd that used to post on that site. To them, SA Slayer is obscure.

Then there's 'the Corro Crowd'. Folks hereon know al the private label obscurities, demo-only releases, foreign releases, etc. Sure, there's stuff that even these folks haven't heard (Far East and Metal Merchant are the two most discussed ones around here), but this crowd still knows all about them. To these folks, it's hard to define obscure b/c they're digging up every scrap of info on every insignificant act they can. Private releases with small print runs and demos not on mp3 or reissues might qualify. To them, Critical Mass, Metal Merchant, White Lion, and Far East are obscure.

So what does the Corro Crowd play for the Lapland Crowd to try and get them to dig past Metal Blade and Roadrunner cut-outs? Those nominated above are good ideas (though personally I agree w/ daniel that Leather Nunn never won me over), especially Wild Pussy. I'd add a couple of other possibilities:
Hammer Witch- this is quality material in the classic METAL CHURCH vein, sure to catch the attention of the target audience.

Solar Eagle- This one seems to blow away a lot of folks when they first hear it, especially those who dig stuff like Agent Steel.

Salems Wych- This one also seems to appeal to a huge portion of folks who hear it. Yes, they're 'common' by Corro standards, but they aren't widely heard among the target audience.

Not to be a wet blanket, but in my experience it's pretty tough to get 'the lapland crowd' to listen to stuff that 'the corro crowd' is into. I used to maintain a sticky thread on LL that I'd update regularly with really cool but obscure tracks for folks to check out; if a song got even three comments it was a huge turnout. That crowd is pretty content playing 'The Spectre Within' and 'Rage for Order'; many of them have no real interest in digging deeper (which is fine of course, that means less competition for those of us still digging for the rare gems like Far East, 'City in Flames', and Odyssey).
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Keir

Post by Keir »

Your last statement definitely describes my experience. For my "one" I would pick Black Knight - Master Of Disaster. I actually have turned some of the laplanders (not specifically from that site, but people like that) on to Black Knight. My next pick would have been Sacred Rite - Is Nothing Sacred, but I'm not sure if that is obscure enough for this purpose.
vxn123

Post by vxn123 »

If I had to choose strictly non-reissued or shared rarities I would definately choose:

FULL TILT ''same'' MLP 1990 USA (Gondwanala)

PARAGON ''same'' MLP 1984 USA (Paragon)

PARAGON is a mixture of hard rock/ metal so I would pick FULL TILT as straight forward metal record that is better than FAR EAST, METAL MERCHANT, CRITICAL MASS and other obscurities.