opinions about the old French metal scene

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Right, Frog-Metal.. Lots of solid bands there, but the scene as a whole has never been a top fave. The albums I've been listening to the most are probably the debuts by VULCAIN and EXCESS (France's most underrated?), DUM DUM BULLET and the superb LUST LP. BLASPHEME's "Desir de Vampyr" is another fave, and the early SORTILÉGE and ADX stuff also gets a spin every once in a while...

To be honest I can't really sense a particular "French Metal"-sound, but that could of course be said about a lot of countries...
christiandiaz

Post by christiandiaz »

Satan Jokers,they´re great.
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

Today I discovered some realy good sounding French bands from early stage.Found some kind of Archive With lots of sound samples(But they last just 30 seconds).I really enjoyed FURIA and ASTAROTH and WKRX 7"EPs.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

http://80sfrenchmetal.blogspot.com is still alive and well it seems (kudos, Shreut!)

Don't miss the newish 7" uploads at the bottom of the 1st page. PERMAFROST and THUNDER were pretty nice discoveries, I'd say.

Is it just me who considers VITRIOL one of the best non-German, German Metal albums ever?
hload

Post by hload »

DaN wrote:http://80sfrenchmetal.blogspot.com is still alive and well it seems (kudos, Shreut!)

Don't miss the newish 7" uploads at the bottom of the 1st page. PERMAFROST and THUNDER were pretty nice discoveries, I'd say.

Is it just me who considers VITRIOL one of the best non-German, German Metal albums ever?
pure acceptish that vitriol...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

hload wrote:
DaN wrote:http://80sfrenchmetal.blogspot.com is still alive and well it seems (kudos, Shreut!)

pure acceptish that vitriol...
YEZZ!!
..and you gotta love the "Volga Boatmen"-salute in the opening track 8)
nar marratuk

Post by nar marratuk »

Personally I think the likes of SORTILEGE, ADX, BLASPHEME, DER KAISER and the godly LEGEND stand above them all. As far as the heavier stuff goes well it has to be the first 2 MASSACRA lp's along with second LOUDBLAST and MERCYLESS "abject offerings"
I was born on a dark winter night thunder and lightning greeted me...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Ey, welcome Pat! Cool to see you here.
nar marratuk

Post by nar marratuk »

Hey Dan!!! About time for me!!! I never realised til tonight that the corroseum had a forum..in fact it was my first time!!! OK I'm a corroseum virgin :lol:
I was born on a dark winter night thunder and lightning greeted me...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

To quote the mighty DUM DUM BULLET: We Are The Virgins

..christ that must be one of the worst examples of silly song title/killer track EVER :roll:
wyzard

Post by wyzard »

The old French heavy metal scene rules ,with lots of godly bands!ANTHRACITE,SEISMES and TITAN are among my favourite bands.
BlackStele

Post by BlackStele »

I adore the old Metal French scene with some other bands who are my favs and were not mentioned here such as: Venin, Auroch, Penzzer, Ponce Pilate, Marienthal, Capharnaum, Shelder, OxenKiller, Axton Pryte, Marecage, Pink Rose, High Power, Bronx, Keria, Steel Angel, Black Ghost, Killers, Synthese, Lawlessness, Eclipse, Capricorn, Lost Horizon, and some newest with old-school sound such as Lonewolf, Overstep and Malediction, meanwhile I consider over-estimated Drakkard, since they say nothing to my Heavy Metal Ears...
Black signs on my monitor, great bitching and fake words, Avenger is here, the craziest "modest" of all modsss...FTOU!!
wyzard

Post by wyzard »

Personally speaking,I think it's ,certainly,not possible to mention all great ,old French heavy metal bands.Everyone could understand that.There's a great number of them,older and newer acts,as well.
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

BlackStele wrote:I adore the old Metal French scene with some other bands who are my favs and were not mentioned here such as: Venin, Auroch, Penzzer, Ponce Pilate, Marienthal, Capharnaum, Shelder, OxenKiller, Axton Pryte, Marecage, Pink Rose, High Power, Bronx, Keria, Steel Angel, Black Ghost, Killers, Synthese, Lawlessness, Eclipse, Capricorn, Lost Horizon, and some newest with old-school sound such as Lonewolf, Overstep and Malediction, meanwhile I consider over-estimated Drakkard, since they say nothing to my Heavy Metal Ears...
Hey, you actually like Shelder?! Great. It's one of my faves, though I understand it's really not for most people, being naïve and very amateurish at times. Those vocals kill and their ideas were spot on.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I like SHELDER's God of Vikings very much as well. It's indeed amateurish and sloppy at some moments but the overall atmosphere is amazing, great record for me.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart