opinions about the old French metal scene

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
daniel

Post by daniel »

German metal is way too generic, repetitive, some really amazing bands the rest just not exciting...

Ah VENIN, forgot that one, it's one of the very few bands I still need to hear. AUROCH, well the vocals are a bit of a put off... heh. And VULCAIN, though copying MOTÖRHEAD, were far heavier, and better I think.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Fils Du Metal

Post by Fils Du Metal »

Oh my God, reading all this stuff from you here I need a week of holidays to comment the stuff the one or the other way.

First point: HIGH POWER rules! The vocalist is GOD and the first LP is one of the TOP 5 albums ever from France.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I've done some math now and come to this conclusion: French bands singing in English > French bands singing in French. Got nothing to do with the language itself, it's just statistics as far as what bands/albums I enjoy more, like LUST, EXCESS, STEEL ANGEL, VITRIOL etc..
pzman

Post by pzman »

Just wanted to add my two cents on the topic. Like many other countries i think France too has its share of great bands. Some of my favs, already mentioned before, include Lust, Killers, Steel Angel, Sortilege, Excess, Charter, High Power, Venin, Shark, Nightmare. As far as French/English vox goes, i really don't have any preference - i happen to like both. Looking through the thread, there's quite a few bands mentioned that are new to me. I'll have to check em out.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

daniel wrote:German metal is way too generic, repetitive, some really amazing bands the rest just not exciting...
This can be said about any scene though.

90% just mimic the rest and 10% actually contribute something unique.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

DaN wrote:I've done some math now and come to this conclusion: French bands singing in English > French bands singing in French. Got nothing to do with the language itself, it's just statistics as far as what bands/albums I enjoy more, like LUST, EXCESS, STEEL ANGEL, VITRIOL etc..
I wholeheartedly agree, although, I am not a French Metal "expert"
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Well I love all the bands DaN mentioned but then again Satan Joker blows most french bands into oblivion. IMO Sortilège's strongest material is better than Lust, Excess and Vitriol even but it's hard to compare bands you love to each others.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Obsessed by Metal

Post by Obsessed by Metal »

I listen to the Anthracite album off the 80s metal blog some time ago, it's pretty good but wasn't it pressed to a ridiculous amount of copies like 25? In this case it explains how so few people know about them :wink:

anyone heard first album from Hurlement "de sang et d'acier"? I wonder if they're any good.

this High Power album is strong from start to finish IMO

Dan, what about those who sang in English AND in French viz. Sortilege, ADX , Demon Eyes...?
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Devilment wrote:Dan, what about those who sang in English AND in French viz. Sortilege, ADX , Demon Eyes...?
Great bands all 3 of them and I think their "French period" was their best. But the VIXEN lp that Peter did tops anything w/ those bands.
nabel

Post by nabel »

DaN wrote:
Devilment wrote:Dan, what about those who sang in English AND in French viz. Sortilege, ADX , Demon Eyes...?
Great bands all 3 of them and I think their "French period" was their best. But the VIXEN lp that Peter did tops anything w/ those bands.
That is quite a statement! Damn, I have to respect it somehow for it's boldness! But perhaps there is a heat wave over Sveridge boiling your brains?
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

DaN wrote:
I agree, ADX "Weird Visions" is their weakest album. I always prefered SORTILEGE in french than in english. For DEMON EYES, they're imo one of the most overated band (together with SATAN JOKERS) of the french scene.

What do you think of PONCE PILATE ? Their "Les Enfants du Cimetière" album is rather original, very strange and weird atmosphere ...

I also enjoy the A-Side of the VOODOO CHILD album "Adrénaline".
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

omen of hate wrote:What do you think of PONCE PILATE ? Their "Les Enfants du Cimetière" album is rather original, very strange and weird atmosphere ...
It has two really killer tracks, especially the closing "Les Anges De Balthazar" which is magnificent. The album leans more towards hard rock though.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Obsessed by Metal

Post by Obsessed by Metal »

never heard Ponce Pilate, I like the name of the band, do they have any available recordings?
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Isn't "ponce" a derogatory term in English? Anyway, I checked it out from Shreut's blog long ago but didn't care much for it. On the more HR side of things I think the MYSTERY BLUE debut is pretty sweet.
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

omen of hate wrote: What do you think of PONCE PILATE ? Their "Les Enfants du Cimetière" album is rather original, very strange and weird atmosphere ...
I listened to it just twice many years ago....From what I recall, I think many people could be disappointed because it is not too heavy, but I remember that I loved the dark atmosphere of the album....Would love to hear it again!