opinions about the old French metal scene

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Speaking of French Metal, I've been wanting to hear Steel Angel's two LP's for quite some time now...
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Avenger wrote:Speaking of French Metal, I've been wanting to hear Steel Angel's two LP's for quite some time now...
The first LP is incredible!

One of my favorite scenes, though I've still much too discover. I'll check out some of the bands mentioned here today.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Black Axe wrote:
Avenger wrote:Speaking of French Metal, I've been wanting to hear Steel Angel's two LP's for quite some time now...
The first LP is incredible!

One of my favorite scenes, though I've still much too discover. I'll check out some of the bands mentioned here today.
I think this calls for an upload (hint, hint).
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
BlackStele

Post by BlackStele »

great_knuthulhu wrote:
BlackStele wrote:I adore the old Metal French scene with some other bands who are my favs and were not mentioned here such as: Venin, Auroch, Penzzer, Ponce Pilate, Marienthal, Capharnaum, Shelder, OxenKiller, Axton Pryte, Marecage, Pink Rose, High Power, Bronx, Keria, Steel Angel, Black Ghost, Killers, Synthese, Lawlessness, Eclipse, Capricorn, Lost Horizon, and some newest with old-school sound such as Lonewolf, Overstep and Malediction, meanwhile I consider over-estimated Drakkard, since they say nothing to my Heavy Metal Ears...
Hey, you actually like Shelder?! Great. It's one of my faves, though I understand it's really not for most people, being naïve and very amateurish at times. Those vocals kill and their ideas were spot on.
Yeah, I adore it actually..it is a"Hate it or Love it" record with unique, atmospheric Feeling, and ghostly vocs...I'm glad I found a few people here who they like it! :D

P.S: For anyone who needs a Steel Angel upload, just ask and you shall receive! :wink:
Black signs on my monitor, great bitching and fake words, Avenger is here, the craziest "modest" of all modsss...FTOU!!
wyzard

Post by wyzard »

SHELDER have got a somehow weird sound but yes,I like them quite a lot.
vansinne

Post by vansinne »

Nothing beats Blasphème's Désir De Vampyr as far as I'm concerned, but I'm still quite new to the French scene so there are probably tons of great releases left for me to discover.
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

vansinne wrote:Nothing beats Blasphème's Désir De Vampyr as far as I'm concerned, but I'm still quite new to the French scene so there are probably tons of great releases left for me to discover.
I though Blaspheme debut is the best from Blaspheme :? Anyway Blaspheme is the best French metal band without doubt.
Other favourites include:
Venin,Adx,Steel Angel,Sortilege,Titan,Axton Pryte,Lonewolf,Der Kaiser...

And about Shelder i think they are good(+ for me the female vocals).But no way they can fit in a French top 10.
msp

Post by msp »

I don't have many records by French bands to be honest but my favourites include Sortilege MLP, Blaspheme & Attentat Rock

The seconds WARNING album was also quite good if I remember but I have not played that for quite a while
nabel

Post by nabel »

French metal definitely rules! Bands just sound so different compared to other countries scenes in eighties. Of course language makes big difference but there is just something else I just can't put into words... Usually when you hear french metal, you know from the first the note that this made in France!

ADX, H-Bomb, Voie de Fait, Sortilege, H and H, Legend, Demon Eyes, Blaspheme, Auroch, Venin etc list goes on!
steelangel

Post by steelangel »

My favourite 80's French bands on Vinyl are ADX (Great Speed metal, great riffs definitely) & ANTHRACITE.

But I think the BEST FRENCH HEAVY METAL were on Demos and 7" !!
My faves :

DAMOCLES !!! Demo and 7" are as rippers !!
LEGEND "Mandragore" Demo + 7"
TENEBRES Demo'85
LONEWOLF Holy Evil 7"
Heavy Metal is my Pride. I've got Metal in my Blood. Uncompromising REAL Heavy Metal is all I need. Hail to all Brothers of EPIC HEAVY METAL !!
wyzard

Post by wyzard »

steelangel wrote:My favourite 80's French bands on Vinyl are ADX (Great Speed metal, great riffs definitely) & ANTHRACITE.

But I think the BEST FRENCH HEAVY METAL were on Demos and 7" !!
My faves :

DAMOCLES !!! Demo and 7" are as rippers !!
LEGEND "Mandragore" Demo + 7"
TENEBRES Demo'85
LONEWOLF Holy Evil 7"
Also the 7'' by the mighty H&H!
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Fine thread to discover new stuff because I'm no french metal expert!

My favourites includes Killers, Blaspheme, Sortilège, H and H, Steel Angel, Satan Jokers, Strattson, H-Bomb and my two favourite LP's from this scene are "...Fils De La Haine" & "Désir De Vampyr".
wyzard wrote:Also the 7'' by the mighty H&H!
This one rocks so much!
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
nar marratuk

Post by nar marratuk »

I still think SORTILEGE have the edge on all those bands!!! Much of the stuff listed like AUROCH, VENIN, AXTON PRYTE personally I think is only ok at best....but nothing special. From the newer bands LONEWOLF and MALEDICTION [RIP] are damn good.
I was born on a dark winter night thunder and lightning greeted me...
nabel

Post by nabel »

Question: did all vinyls released by Devil's Records come with an insert? I don't have one in "Execution" by ADX and in Voie de Fait LP. But in High Power's s/t and in Killers debut I have inserts...

Malediction was brilliant band! Too bad they broke up... And too fuckin bad I missed when they played in Tuska Open Air in Helsinki some years ago. I was probably sleeping happily drunk at park outside. AAARGH! I think they (festival organizers) have some sort of deal with some french festival and they "exchange" bands every year. Usually it's only shitty industrial, death, black or something...
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Nice to see a "new" release such as the PERMAFROST 7'' mentioned here. The b-side is absolutely awesome, and you need it!

I can upload it in the appropriate Poisonoise thread as soon as that damn stylus arrives. Anyone interested?