opinions about the old French metal scene

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
solar eagle

opinions about the old French metal scene

Post by solar eagle »

I'd like to know anyone interested in the old French metal scene.I'm a fan of it and it would be nice to share some talk about that.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

What does old actually mean? Blaspheme, Killers ... or Sortilege, Venin, ... judging by the posts on shreut's blog I'd say it was quite thriving in quantity, less in quality ... for instance, Auroch are surprisingly good thou ...
I am ... the One you warned me of
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

I personally think that the French Heavy Metal scene was one of the strongest in Europe back then...
I love Steel Angel, Lust and Excess...Other bands I like a lot are Sortilege, Shelder (yes!), Dum Dum Bullet, H And H, Mistreated,...
Crimson Angel

Post by Crimson Angel »

I like Sortilege from the 80's and Malediction from newer bands.
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

I think the French bands succeded in releasing very good Metal. Even when their Balkc Meal bands werent the best, their Heavy metal bands were top quality
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

I can't get enough of it. Ever since I first heard your H Bomb's, ADX's and Sortilège's I've been on cloud 9. I find french bands have a great melodic sound about them usually with killer leads and a great guitar tone. More well known ones I like include the above and Fisc, Nightmare, Demon Eyes, Der Kaiser, Steel Angel, Killers ... awesome. Very high quality metal.
otakon

Post by otakon »

cant go wrong with the classics, great heavy metal.

the first Satan Jokers is up there for me too
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

You all forgot Vulcain!
peterott

Post by peterott »

I don't know much about French Heavy/Speed Metal, but i always adored Aggressor and Loudblast in their demo days. Classic mid-/late 80es Thrash with a blackened lyrical approach (by Agressor at least) in the beginning.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

What i can say about French Metal? The scene is simply one of my favorites worldwide! It might not be the rawest and most aggressive metal you've ever heard, but damn, those godly guitar melodies have always been sending shivers down my spine! The quite common blending of Maiden/Scorpions/Nwobhm influences never fails! The PHENOMENON Sortilege is probably the finest example of what someone would call KILLER Euro-Metal. Very difficult to list all the bands i like in French metal. Some of them are: Nightmare, Blaspheme, ADX, Lust, Der Kaiser, Venin, Vixen Pride, Lonewolf, Death's Angels, Excess, early Killers, Anthracite, Highland Queen, Desdemona and many many more.
Last edited by ION BRITTON on Mon May 21, 2007 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Ernest Thesiger

First French thrash demo I heard was Massacra's Nearer From Death. Storming. Later on I heard Mutilated's Psycho Death Lunatics tape, which almost tore my head off.
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Don't forget MASSACRA!!!!!!!!!!!

'Enjoy The Violence' is an absolute classic!!!!!!!!

What about French-Canadian?? Can I mention Voivod??? :lol:
Ernest Thesiger

If we're entering Quebecois territory, I'd have to cite Cremains, Obliveon, Aggression, Voor & Yog Sothots too.
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

MASSACRA were gods. I never liked LOUDBLAST that much though, and they're way overrated here in France.

Well, the first class bands for me were SORTILEGE, early ADX, H AND H and PONCE PILATE, and TRUST, for other reasons. BLASPHEME are one of my faves, for several reasons, especially some of their lyrics (blasphemous in many ways, something which my not appear at first read). H-BOMB were great too, with somewhat funny lyrics.
And DER KAISER are an underrated band IMO. I like their choruses, their use of various voices, and their lyrics.
On the other hand, SORTILEGE lyrics, while being well-written, are lame when it comes to their content, especially on Larmes de Héros, even if I think that on a pure musical level it's their masterpiece.

Another great LP was STEEL ANGEL's first one. The band is maybe the best french incarnation of US Metal IMO, and this LP just has everything to kill. Even the strong french accent is attractive in some ways. Their follower isn't sadly half as good as this one.
Gott ist tot.
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Korgüll wrote: What about French-Canadian?? Can I mention Voivod??? :lol:
Soothsayer - very good crossover / thrash ala Mega Mosh from 89, Quebec! One of their song is also in French ... :)