opinions about the old French metal scene

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

DaN wrote:Isn't "ponce" a derogatory term in English? Anyway, I checked it out from Shreut's blog long ago but didn't care much for it. On the more HR side of things I think the MYSTERY BLUE debut is pretty sweet.
Ponce Pilate is the french name for the guy who judged and condemned Jesus-Christ to crucifixion.

Edit : "Pontius Pilatius" in latin.
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Does anybody like the first TITAN LP from 1986? For me, one of the very best French LP's (incl. that awesomely awesome coverartwork!), done by members of KILLERS.

They seem to be not that popular, i just wonder why, is it because no one is familiar with them, or do you just not like them very much?
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

What about "We Shall Wait Till You Die "-Capharnaüm? Is the single any good?
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

isn't TITAN all of Killers except the main guy? i own the first LP but i still dont have popeye le road (but i think that's a live album anyway and the songs are available in other releases?)
anyway,yes i like that a lot, very energetic LP.
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

nabel wrote:
DaN wrote:
Devilment wrote:Dan, what about those who sang in English AND in French viz. Sortilege, ADX , Demon Eyes...?
Great bands all 3 of them and I think their "French period" was their best. But the VIXEN lp that Peter did tops anything w/ those bands.
That is quite a statement! Damn, I have to respect it somehow for it's boldness! But perhaps there is a heat wave over Sveridge boiling your brains?
NP. And I stand by my words: They had riffing & harmonies that just tops anything with those bands. On the other hand it's always hard to compare old demo/7" acts with bands who had several full-lengths to their name, but on songs alone VIXEN destroys most of the competition.
ooh wrote:Ponce Pilate is the french name for the guy who judged and condemned Jesus-Christ to crucifixion.

Edit : "Pontius Pilatius" in latin.
Oh I know. I just heard an inner, cockney voice grunting "Ponce!" when I read the band name :lol:
Obsessed by Metal

Post by Obsessed by Metal »

I've downloaded the Shelder album off the 80s blogspot and after one listen I can already say it's haunting material.

They have some so-so passages and the vocals are an acquired taste but fuck me if they don't have spine chilling doomy riffs which spice it all up, any other takers?
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

The drumming on the Shelder album is pretty "special" too :lol:
Other than that, I really like that album a lot. It's very amateurish but it's got some quality that keeps me want to listen to it again and again. Maybe I just have perverse taste.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Mitch

French Heavy Metal

Post by Mitch »

Sortilege had the best vocalist (Christian Augustin).
Vulcain was killer but their vocalist has been described as "Lemmy with a mouthful of warts".
These 2 were my favorites but H-Bomb isn't far behind.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Since I got the original LP from Blaspheme "Desir de Vampyr" some weeks ago, I'm spinning the shit out of it. I've never noticed what an incredible intense record this is. There's so much to be found in this LP. The melodies are the real highlight here. Listen to the chorus of "Saint D'Esprit" or the main riff and shred-solo in "Controle" or the title track: SHIVER AND WORSHIP!!! French Metal ist just too good to be true, AAArrgghh. I'm going to spin Sortilege masterpieces, Holster demo, Excess, ADX etc for the coming days.
Long Live The Loud !!!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

The Sentinel wrote:"Controle"
Actually, my favourite Blaspheme track. Sweeping!
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Dodens Grav

Post by Dodens Grav »

I have the Brennus reissues of the first two Blaspheme albums, but they never impressed me much...I guess I should listen to them again and pay closer attention.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Dodens Grav wrote:I have the Brennus reissues of the first two Blaspheme albums, but they never impressed me much...I guess I should listen to them again and pay closer attention.
i have never been too impressed by them either, theres fillers here n there as well as great tunes, same thing that happens with Warning for example
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

Attentat Rock: strike must be mentioned as one of French Metal finest moments
nabel

Post by nabel »

What about 90's and recent albums by Killers? Are they worth my money and time?
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

ATTENTAT ROCK - Strike
LOUDBLAST - Sublime Dementia

Those are the two albums that are on top on my mind right now.