Fully formed Heavy Metal songs from the70's

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
User avatar
MechaBarbarian
Posts: 68

Post#31 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:09 pm

Came across the wonderful blog 'The Day After the Sabbath(s)' and this great compilation in particular which explores the same territory as this thread:
http://www.aftersabbath.com/2012/04/day ... order.html
i.e 70's bands with a NWOBHM/80's sound, great picks!
The rest of the blog is pretty great, I expect many of you already know it.

User avatar
Priamos
Posts: 522

Post#32 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:15 pm

MechaBarbarian wrote:Came across the wonderful blog 'The Day After the Sabbath(s)' and this great compilation in particular which explores the same territory as this thread:
http://www.aftersabbath.com/2012/04/day ... order.html
i.e 70's bands with a NWOBHM/80's sound, great picks!
The rest of the blog is pretty great, I expect many of you already know it.
Yeps, I gave it up when his comp. reached around #20. He started to dig too deep for my taste but undoubtly he came up overally with some interesting stuff.

User avatar
lox
Posts: 148

Post#33 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:48 pm

Priamos wrote: Yeps, I gave it up when his comp. reached around #20. He started to dig too deep for my taste but undoubtly he came up overally with some interesting stuff.
Same here. Although this happens alot while diggin for obscure stuff, you will uncover some average crap (and much worse...), that was buried & forgotten for a damn good reason and should not have see the light of the sun again. :)

User avatar
doomedplanet
Posts: 2046

Post#34 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:36 pm

This can happen in all genres. But if you don't do it you won't find some amazing material because you stopped digging....especially in 70's stuff because the waters are deep and in the depths the current can be the strongest.

check this
https://soundcloud.com/numerogroup/wrath-warlord
lox wrote:
Same here. Although this happens alot while diggin for obscure stuff, you will uncover some average crap (and much worse...), that was buried & forgotten for a damn good reason and should not have see the light of the sun again. :)
"The type of people who buy their albums won't be offended. They like boobs and bare bottoms" - Joanne Latham.

User avatar
lox
Posts: 148

Post#35 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:34 am

doomedplanet wrote: check this
https://soundcloud.com/numerogroup/wrath-warlord
Yes, I remember well your old rip, good 45 for sure, satanic drug thing, many won't understand (paraphrasing an old Wyndorf quote)

Was this re-released? I can't find it in the numerogroup cat :?

User avatar
doomedplanet
Posts: 2046

Post#36 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:54 pm

check their blog, you can see the photo, it is part of an lp coming out next month I think.
lox wrote:
Yes, I remember well your old rip, good 45 for sure, satanic drug thing, many won't understand (paraphrasing an old Wyndorf quote)

Was this re-released? I can't find it in the numerogroup cat :?
"The type of people who buy their albums won't be offended. They like boobs and bare bottoms" - Joanne Latham.

User avatar
lox
Posts: 148

Post#37 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:43 pm

doomedplanet wrote:check their blog, you can see the photo, it is part of an lp coming out next month I think.
Thx, found it. For german folks, you can pre-order it here:

http://www.hhv.de/shop/en/item/v-a-wayf ... les-349639

User avatar
MechaBarbarian
Posts: 68

Post#38 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:06 am

Let's kickstart this thread again with some tips I got from Rich at after the sabbath!

Storm -78 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quKI4ddHZ44
pure proto-speed metal here!

Groundstar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHL-i_cspUs

The Godz - Under the Table http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA0emzVL4VI

User avatar
Khnud
Posts: 2401

Post#39 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:34 pm

Some favourites of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfD7ywsMqnY
Highway Robbery - Fifteen (1972)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16SocVdK4wE
High Tide - Futurist's Lament (1969)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VloBI0OUT6c
Egor - Street (1971)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOcadoJr6u4
Supernaut - Keeper of the Keys (1975)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nf-X9SR2rs
Wicked Lady - I'm A Freak (1972)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OKw66MMpv8
Pentagram - Livin' In A Ram's Head (1973 version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccb_fZguzJ0
Bedemon - Child Of Darkness (1973)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIEISmNqPbQ
Icecross - Jesus Freaks (1973)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39fQGLgEZb8
Ok, so this isn't heavy metal in any way, but rather the meanest, heaviest, dirtiest southern cotton plantation acid swamp Cajun blues hard rock you've ever heard. I've played this to the truest steel metal warriors at Keep It True and they've all loved it. I dare you to listen to this song and not start tapping your foot subconsciously.
Laugh at you in ecstasy, wallow in the gore.
Blast you with their twisted minds, behold the Dogs Of War.

User avatar
Astra Wally
Posts: 651

Post#40 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:44 pm

Grand Theft - Scream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLWi9ZMDe2U

Aaah that Jamul track is awesome !!... the whole LP is actually very good
Heaven is yours, Hell is mine

User avatar
rumblefist
Posts: 1025

Post#41 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:41 am

Bit surprised some guys like Xarhanga :shock:

I think these guys had plenty of early metal in their songs :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z19nU6Gp6w (1973)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhiMSAnjfXo (1972)

User avatar
Noisenik
Posts: 2385

Post#42 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:56 pm

bigfootkit wrote: I thought i was the only one who knew about Xarhanga!
:shock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB5I8W2QbYQ

They were featured in Metal Archives before first of the two so called Hard Rock=Not Metal band-o-cide took place, along with Tarkus from Peru and Flower Travelling Band, for instance.
I am ... the One you warned me of

Zdan
Posts: 1100

Post#43 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:17 pm

I loved that Jamul track. Does anybody know if their album has been released officially on CD? I know there is the Flawed Gems bootleg but I do not want that.

User avatar
Khnud
Posts: 2401

Post#44 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:01 am

Zdan wrote:I loved that Jamul track. Does anybody know if their album has been released officially on CD? I know there is the Flawed Gems bootleg but I do not want that.
Everybody seems to love that Jamul track! :-D

There's a Golden Reborn Classics CD issue from 1996 made in Germany, as well as a Big Pink issue (Korean label) from 2011. Check Discogs I think there's at least one CD copy for sale there.
Laugh at you in ecstasy, wallow in the gore.
Blast you with their twisted minds, behold the Dogs Of War.

User avatar
bigfootkit
Posts: 2452
Contact:

Post#45 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:57 pm

A few kick ass tunes not previously mentioned in this thread:

ULTRA - Mutants (1977)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84X_LO_mgEo

ROG & PIP - From A Window (1971)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MBw6SYvF5U

GRANICUS - When You're Movin' (1973)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgZioGmD5y0

CAIN - Born Of The Wind (1975)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhQsPoBEf7M
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests