Suspected fake live recordings

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
GJ

Post by GJ »

Manilla Road's Roadkill has quite a few attendants added to the original audience. :wink: Would be cool to have them removed if there will be a reissue of that album.
MetalizeR

Post by MetalizeR »

Dont forget Helloween - 'Heavy Metal is the law' hehe
Satrapold

Post by Satrapold »

What about Cloven Hoof - Fighting Back? Quite obviously recorded in the studio with fake audience noise, and most probably with a drum machine :P
"Planet Earth is great to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there"
MAGIC METAL MYSTICAL EXPERIENCE
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

What is the point in doing this anyways? Does anyone actually prefer listening to a live recording much less a fake one then the studio version?

This defeats the whole purpose of it being "live".
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Avenger wrote:Does anyone actually prefer listening to a live recording
Depends. Some live albums are storming, some are useless.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

Avenger wrote:What is the point in doing this anyways? Does anyone actually prefer listening to a live recording much less a fake one then the studio version?

This defeats the whole purpose of it being "live".
I believe many bands were compelled to that by their labels. Let us take the example of the afore mentioned Cloven Hoof - they just had to record a live album after their debut LP according to the contract. Allegedly.
I don`t like live albums at all. Waste of money in my view, unless there are some track that never got into any studio recordings.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Herkus Monte wrote:I don`t like live albums at all. Waste of money in my view, unless there are some track that never got into any studio recordings.
I don't know about that.
Although i do tend to favour studio recordings over their live counterparts, sometimes a live album really captures the atmosphere of a gig.
Or once a song has been "broken in" by being played live for a while, it can occassionally sound far better in a live version.
For some reason the "Alive" version of "Black Diamond" by Kiss springs to mind as a good example of a live version of a song making the studio counterpart sound utterly anaemic.
The irony that "Alive" is one of the "fixed" live albums mentioned here is not lost on me however.
:D
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

I don`t deny there might be enjoyable live recordings, but don`t you agree they are just another way to make money on "faithful fans" who need to have "everything" to prove their faithfulness?
Satrapold

Post by Satrapold »

Ernest Thesiger wrote:
Avenger wrote:Does anyone actually prefer listening to a live recording
Depends. Some live albums are storming, some are useless.
True that. I don't usually care for live albums but the exceptions then are more than great, such as Unleashed In The East where I prefer most songs to their album versions, and Staying A Life which might actually be my favorite ACCEPT record.
"Planet Earth is great to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there"
MAGIC METAL MYSTICAL EXPERIENCE
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Herkus Monte wrote:I don`t deny there might be enjoyable live recordings, but don`t you agree they are just another way to make money on "faithful fans" who need to have "everything" to prove their faithfulness?
There's definitely some truth to that Herkus, but then, as completist fans, we keep the live album alive by buying the damn things, and i'm as guilty as the next guy.
If no-one bought them, no-one would sell them.
I guess we're complicit.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

To me live records only make sense if they deliver some variations to the studio version, otherwise i could listen to the latter one instead. Just sayin'.
See the flash of lightning cutting the edge of steel!
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Scorpions Tokyo Tapes, fuck what a live album! Hope to go see Uli when he comes through the area in about 3 weeks

did anyone ever watch the Rainbow live in Munich DVD with the video off and just listen to the music? Perfect show when they were at their peak.
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

The Kraken (can) live tracks on the "Underground 80-83" CD got a fake crowd too (looped yells and noise as if they were playing in front of 1000s of peoples).
Keir

Post by Keir »

Since this thread has become a sort of list of suspected fake live recordings, I'll add another:

Tyrant (UK) - the "Live At Gloucester" tracks from The Tyrant Anthology CD.
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

Tyrant (Ger) "Live and crazy"

Another one with faked audience i.m.o.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TP0zQhg0ulA