Important Records you've yet to hear?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Weltering in Blood

Important Records you've yet to hear?

Post by Weltering in Blood »

For whatever reasons there's a few records that'd be considered "important" or just great by the vast majority of people that I've yet to listen to, even though I'm 33 and have been listening to Metal since I was 10/11 years old.

The most immediate one I can think of is POSSESSED Seven Churches. No one was into this band where I grew up and I dunno, it somehow went under my radar for so long. I saw there's going to be a three box lp release of all the Possessed stuff so I'll order that and finally get to hear what I've been missing out on.

Anyone else?
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

Black Sabbath`s: Vol. 4, Born Again (I did hear one or two tracks off this album some ten year ago in a radio though), Seventh Star, Eternal Idol
Judas Priest - Stained Class
Overkill - Taking Over (I bought this vinyl a few weeks ago, but didn`t have time do listen to it)
Scorpions - Blackout
Candlemass - Ancient Dreams, Tales of Creation
Grave Digger - War Games
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Motorhead - Orgasmatron
Diamond Head - anything :D
Tygers of Pan Tang - Spellbound
Testament - Souls of Black
and... I have a CD-R with "...and Justice for All" that I got several years ago from my cousin but never really cared about.

And I don`t really feel an urge to listen to most of them, I find it amusing that some people actually think some records must be known by anyone into metal only because they were made by big and succesful bands.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I'm not trying to be an asshole here (big surprise) but rather ask an honest question.

How do you know that these records are "important" if you have never heard them?

I would think that important records would be that way because they were innovative for the time and if you haven't heard them how can you determine this?

Normally speaking early examples of a specific sub-genre or style are labelled "important" because it's the beginning of or setting of the trend to follow.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
daniel

Post by daniel »

I'm sure "important" here is meant as any big or popularly acknowledged records, why complicate it beyond that.

When it comes to not having heard anything these days, I don't know why people wouldn't just listen to it online... The sentiment of "not downloading anything", does that also extend to never listening to/watching anything on YouTube either?

Looking to the past, I'm not sure what popular record it took me the longest to get round to hearing...
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

Avenger wrote:I'm not trying to be an asshole here (big surprise) but rather ask an honest question.

How do you know that these records are "important" if you have never heard them?

there's a few records that'd be considered "important" or just great by the vast majority of people
If I understood correctly the question`s about records that people who consider themselves as experts on heavy metal think to be important, essential nad obligatory and that if you don`t know you`re pretty sure a poseur, etc..
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

I don't know if those albums are important or not, but I have not listened to the BLACK SABBATH-Tony Martin-era albums.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Popular doesn't mean important.

Britney Spears is popular but sure as hell not important.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
daniel

Post by daniel »

What is the point of making it so complicated??? Pretty obvious what he meant.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Speedeceiver

Post by Speedeceiver »

I've heard a lot about Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death, and I've heard the odd song off it but i haven't given the whole thing a listen yet. Didn't it jsut get reissued?
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

omen of hate wrote:I don't know if those albums are important or not, but I have not listened to the BLACK SABBATH-Tony Martin-era albums.
I've heard a few songs. Not worth the bother in my opinion.

And yeah, I think the OP was very clear. It's the albums that are considered classics and important by general consensus (either popularity, critical praise, historical importance, etc).

There's so many of those "important" albums I haven't listened to, it'd be embarassing if I listed them all. I never listened to a whole Thin Lizzy album, for instance.
Lama

Post by Lama »

omen of hate wrote:I don't know if those albums are important or not, but I have not listened to the BLACK SABBATH-Tony Martin-era albums.
Important or not, all Sabbath-albums with Tony are worth spending your money on. And most of them are ten times better than some obscure records that are labelled 'mandatory' or 'cvlt'. Even "Forbidden", which is seen as a weak record, has actually a lot of quality songs. Check out "Headless Cross" and "Tyr" first. You have good taste in metal, I can't imagine you not liking them :wink:
Kampel Destruction
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Lama wrote:Check out "Headless Cross" and "Tyr" first.
*nods*
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Herkus Monte wrote:Black Sabbath`s: Vol. 4, Born Again (I did hear one or two tracks off this album some ten year ago in a radio though), Seventh Star, Eternal Idol
Judas Priest - Stained Class
Overkill - Taking Over (I bought this vinyl a few weeks ago, but didn`t have time do listen to it)
Scorpions - Blackout
Candlemass - Ancient Dreams, Tales of Creation
Grave Digger - War Games
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Motorhead - Orgasmatron
Diamond Head - anything :D
Tygers of Pan Tang - Spellbound
Testament - Souls of Black
and... I have a CD-R with "...and Justice for All" that I got several years ago from my cousin but never really cared about.

And I don`t really feel an urge to listen to most of them, I find it amusing that some people actually think some records must be known by anyone into metal only because they were made by big and successful bands.
Tales of Creation and Melissa also!!!! Some of these bands became successful because of these records though, think about it the other way around.
Never trust the Goblin King....
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I don't consider War Games and Souls of Black to be important albums. The bands who put them out were important, but not because of those albums.

Personally, I think I have heard all the basics from almost every genre of metal. I haven't listened as closely as I would like some of them though, so here's my answer.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Yeah, it took me quite a while to finally listen to Sabbath "Martin" albums; Tyr is a masterpiece.

And to the thread starter: Possessed "Seven Churches" is the best death metal record and one of the best albums in existence; it just has everything. The brilliance of that album can also be found in Morbid Angel "Abominations of Desolation" demo LP (not the official one); same feeling
Long Live The Loud !!!