Japanese metal recommendations

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

WOLF's self titled is also recommended. Excellent melodic yet non-commercial heavy/power with very stylish guitars, clear vocals and memorable chorus. I'd describe it as a mixture of early VICIOUS RUMOURS and MALMSTEEN's most substantial moments. Miles away from your average lame US hard rock sounding Japanese band. Check out also their next one "Roll Over" from 1990.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I'm very curious about that CROWLEY 8". With a rarity-grading of 9/10 it will take an eternity to track it down. :?
Long Live The Loud !!!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

The Sentinel wrote:I'm very curious about that CROWLEY 8". With a rarity-grading of 9/10 it will take an eternity to track it down. :?
Hmmm, to be honest this band hasn't managed to enthuse me yet. I've heard both their albums and also a 4-track demo, but i just couldn't find a track that it would stick to my mind even for a short period of time. Lack of inspiration is the biggest problem i think. The 8" is their best moment, however only its first side deserves a positive comment. The following EP was at least average and so was their last demo. All in all, an overated band, which probably caused all this hype because of their image, their lyric approach and the uncommon format i.e. 8" of the "The scream of death".
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Azaras wrote:
Fils Du Metal wrote:To get to the top. REALLY the best record I ever heard from Japan the last years is the PROWLER 7"...
who has it and sells it/trades it to me!? This record and the band PROWLER is a HAMMER........
ANYBODY who digs TRESPASS, PRAYING MANTIS, DARK STAR, and so on OWES it to themselves to get MAGNESIUM's demo '93 (or '94, one of those years...). It's great melodic metal with a really heavy crunch and melodices that get stuck in your head for hours afterwards. The singing is of course heavy on the Japanese accent, but I think it works.

I've heard this demo, but IMO it wasn't that good. Magnesium are obviously influenced by early NWOBHM bands, but their vocalist must be was one of the most monotonous i've ever heard. Flat singing from start to finish. I believe he tries to imitate all those classic punk/street/raw/heavy sounding vocalists of the '79 -'83 era, but his effort should have been far more passionate and aggressive. Anyway...Although it's not the most original stuff around instrumentally, it's not bad at all. In any case, the vocals remain a big minus.
Azaras

Post by Azaras »

You are right, the vocals have a very "basement"/"back-street" metal band feel on top of the accent. While the band is catchy like TRESPASS they certainly can't compete in the vocal department.

Nevertheless it works (in my opinion), especially on stuff like "Flying High" (I think that's the song's name...?).
NWN PROD

Post by NWN PROD »

Other ones worth mentioning...

Zadkiel - Motorhead worship with a Japanese twist. A discography CD just surfaced in Japan.

White Hell 7" - Read Dan's review of this great Venom wanna be band.

Doom - weird thrash out of Osaka
NUCLEAR WAR NOW! PROD.
Home page: http://nwnprod.com/
Store: http://nwnprod.com/catalog/
Azaras

Post by Azaras »

NWN PROD wrote:Other ones worth mentioning...

Zadkiel - Motorhead worship with a Japanese twist. A discography CD just surfaced in Japan.
DAMN! I have their two EPs but a CD would be great.... know who sells one?
Doom - weird thrash out of Osaka
Brilliant bassist.
Noisenik

Into Battle ~ Japanese metal recommendations

Post by Noisenik »

According to my taste Doom express the excellency of Japanese Metal. some albums are influenced by VoiVod, but with unique twist added. How come i wouldn't like 'em :) .
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

what about some mp3 of crowley and white hell? Some sacrifice maybe???
anthares

Post by anthares »

Cassette lp of Virus comes to mind right now.
®O©O

Post by ®O©O »

...definitely try RAGING FURY s/t album which is probably mine
favourite thrash from Japan along with classics from Outrage, Lawshed, United or Shellshock

...and some weird bands but absolutely must -
GARGOYLE and ROSENFELD!!!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

metalmaster wrote:what about some mp3 of crowley and white hell?
Uploading WHITE HELL now 8)
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

metalmaster wrote:what about some mp3 of crowley and white hell? Some sacrifice maybe???
I'll upload CROWLEY "Whisper of the Evil" later today.
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

DaN wrote:
metalmaster wrote:what about some mp3 of crowley and white hell?
Uploading WHITE HELL now 8)
Great man, thanx. I already download it. Deadly stuff :evil:
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

omen of hate wrote:
metalmaster wrote:what about some mp3 of crowley and white hell? Some sacrifice maybe???
I'll upload CROWLEY "Whisper of the Evil" later today.
Aaarrgghhh have to check this one!!!!!