Obscure compilations

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
The Sentinel

Obscure compilations

Post by The Sentinel »

I wanted to make a thread about some of the more unknown killer compilations like the "Norway Rocks" compilation. What other obscure compilation LP's are worth mentioning?
Long Live The Loud !!!
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

The hell with "obscure and unknown", just list some KILLER COMPILATIONS here:

Metal Massacre 4 and 8: Almost everything rules on those two;

Norway Rocks: already discussed: one of the holy grails among the compilations as far as I know;

Great NWOBHM compilations:
- New Electric Warriors
- Heavy Metal Heroes 1
- Metal Inferno
Long Live The Loud !!!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Well, the best Metal compilation ever is of course "Metal Inferno" 8)
As for great, underrated, underground comps I will have to get back to you when I've had my beautysleep..
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

DaN wrote:Well, the best Metal compilation ever is of course "Metal Inferno" 8)
As for great, underrated, underground comps I will have to get back to you when I've had my beautysleep..
Nighty, Nighty then :wink:
Long Live The Loud !!!
humus

Post by humus »

I really like:
-UK thrash assault LP
-Detonation volume 1 CD (on a more personal note probably. Early/mid 90's compilation of Belgian thrash/black/death/crossover demobands, got it from a neighbour and it was one of my first introductions to the extreme genre)
Now that I think about it, I really don't own a lot of compilations...
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

I picked up a cool compilation some years ago called 'NO SUBSTITUTE FOR STEEL'

I think it's all mostly unsigned San Diego metal-bands...Assassin, Bible Black, Snakebyte, Prowler, Chalace, Raven Mad etc...

Strange album cover art too!???
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Is that thread limited to vinyl compis? how about demo compilations. back in the very early 90's there a lot of zines who's writer released a lot of demo comps covering mostly under-underground bands.

My fav. were greek Meganecrosy, No Name's Growls and The Bridge, Ludo "Evil" Lejeunes' Infernal Diatribe, etc. I also had a greek compi where Stargazer, Danger Cross and Death Courier were featured. Forgotten the title.

Thinking of vinyls/ cds Pantalgia, The Wine Of Satan, Speed Metal Hell, Projections Of A Stained Mind, Fuck you, We're from Denmark ... 1, 2, 3 come to my mind. Mostly early 90's. There were lot more but my memory doesn't serve me well.

Incidentally, does anybody know anybody from Denmark? Would like to get some demos from certain DM bands ...

Actually I like compilations a great deal, esp. those who are representing less known but promising bands.
I am ... the One you warned me of
tomas

Post by tomas »

Andreas just played me 'Metal Mania Volume 1'. A compilation filled with obscure Belgian heavy metal acts. Some killers, some fillers...
None of those bands can be found Metal Archives: Storm, Carnage 22, Nessie, Wax Python, ...
ancient tyranny

Post by ancient tyranny »

Ultrametal "I" & "II" deserved to be mentioned here
Levi

Post by Levi »

tomas wrote:Andreas just played me 'Metal Mania Volume 1'. A compilation filled with obscure Belgian heavy metal acts. Some killers, some fillers...
None of those bands can be found Metal Archives: Storm, Carnage 22, Nessie, Wax Python, ...
More fillers than killers is you ask me, but a nice piece of Belgian history. Do like the Storm track (with the singer from Ritual on vocals).
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

Both NWOBHM compilations "New Electric Warriors" and "Its Unheard of" are great !
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

ancient tyranny wrote:Ultrametal "I" & "II" deserved to be mentioned here
I'd say "Ultrametal III", haha... it actually exists.
Fun records
OmenOfSteel
Location: fucking non white worthless left wing dick sucking scum bag

Post by OmenOfSteel »

One of my fave comps is HEAVY RENDEZVOUS from italy, not only for the unrel. ADRAMELCH track and totally different version of MOON OF STEELs "Spanish Flame", but as well for MASTERSTROKE (good Thrash), NAPALM, BLACK BURN (became WREST shortly after), MACE etc.
Besides the great content this sampler also has stunning layout. Gatefold-cover, all lyrics, its a 10/10.

Other compilations I dont wanna miss:
All the german BREAK OUT editions on D&S, GREEN METAL (only irish bands), and some great UK Power/Speed/Thrash comps like FAST FORWARD TO HELL (Metalworks), METAL WARRIÖR or THE LAST WARRIOR (both Metalother) or A RATHER NASTY DREAM (RKT).
We praise the blood that metal brings
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

"Metalmaniac" LP had among others an unreleased track from Danger Zone. Unfortunately, that track is nowhere near "Victim Of Time" :(

"Ready To Fire" LP contains the three best Austrian Metal tracks by Blowin Free. Really outstanding!

"Cleveland Metal" LP contained two fantastic Black Death tracks!

Does anyone know if the "Attack From Downunda" LP has unreleased tracks? I know that there was an unknown title from Stonehennge, but the track turned out to be "Burning Fever" from their "Wings Of Steel" LP. I also know that the Knightshade tracks were also previously released...
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

roihlem wrote: Does anyone know if the "Attack From Downunda" LP has unreleased tracks? I know that there was an unknown title from Stonehennge, but the track turned out to be "Burning Fever" from their "Wings Of Steel" LP. I also know that the Knightshade tracks were also previously released...
I have a good vinyl rip of that comp, it features some really great tunes like the devastating and ultra-heavy "No peace for the wicked" of CONFESSOR, BLITZ's excellent "Key to your heart" or TOKYO's "Lonely hearts", which is great melodic metal (those who were members of Metal Treasures will probably remember it). The track from STONEHENGE is called "Warlords". Wanna hear it? Just say it...
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart