Printed stuff worth reading these days

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Noisenik

Printed stuff worth reading these days

Post by Noisenik »

I wonder which zines/ mags are worthy reading today - covering old bands, having fluent and rich texts, are informative with decent layout, etc... I know that most infos are posted on the Web, but I am kinda nostalgic, remembering good ol' days of rabidly reading everything I could find that was connected with divine HM ...

P.S.: DaN, don't forget to find the Organ's :wink:
I am ... the One you warned me of
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

Try Gallery of the Grotesque! They're mostly Black and Death-Metal oriented but are full of sick humour, long in-depths interviews, etc.
Blutvergiessen and Horrible Eyes from Germany are good in the genre too.

About Heavy-Metal, an obvious choice is Snakepit Magazine, even if it's too much historical and sometimes good interesting but not musical/historical questions are missed. That's maybe because I want a band to have something to say, and not only knowing which musician played on which rehearsal tape I'll never hear. Hopefully the bands sometimes give themselves interesting content without questions -like Brian Ross did on the last issue.
Gott ist tot.
peterott

Post by peterott »

Deathexekution Black/Death zine from Sweden. Very good humor with good interviews and articles, honest reviews.

German Death Metal zines Unholy Terror and Necromaniac are still the Best we have to offer here. Chaos zine seems finally gone, but who knows.

And in 20 years Metalion will finally release Slayer #20.
DMR

Post by DMR »

Loud and Legendary is a pretty good one. It's a six page newsletter with reviews of old vinyl and demos. The last issue came out about a year ago, so I don't know if there will be any more, but most of the info from the issues is on their website, www.loudandlegendary.com .

My favorite zine is Lamentations of the Flame Princess. Despite the goofy name, it might be what you're looking for. The most recent issue focused on unsigned bands that play 80s styles of metal (heavy, thrash, and doom).
Hellfighter

Post by Hellfighter »

Depth Charge zine, Melbourne based zine from Australia. Very informative with interesting layouts and reviews. Interviews bands from all genres. Last issue had the almighty Cirith Ungol too from memory.

Definately worth your time. The gentleman that writes this shit posts on here from time to time.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Hellfighter wrote:Depth Charge zine, Melbourne based zine from Australia. Very informative with interesting layouts and reviews. Interviews bands from all genres. Last issue had the almighty Cirith Ungol too from memory.

Definately worth your time. The gentleman that writes this shit posts on here from time to time.
You are behind Depth Charge zine? Kewl. Could you give me more info about it?

I have seen there are some Greek zines around, but I don't think you guys know of what quality they are.

Otherwise thank you guys. It seems that printed stuff have decreased in favour of Web suppy.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

DMR wrote:Loud and Legendary is a pretty good one. It's a six page newsletter with reviews of old vinyl and demos. The last issue came out about a year ago, so I don't know if there will be any more, but most of the info from the issues is on their website, www.loudandlegendary.com .

My favorite zine is Lamentations of the Flame Princess. Despite the goofy name, it might be what you're looking for. The most recent issue focused on unsigned bands that play 80s styles of metal (heavy, thrash, and doom).
Thanx for the L&L link. Some interesting reads there for sure..
I don't buy nearly as much printed Metal media as I should, but I've been fingering the Flame Princess in a shop in Stockholm. Unfortunately she was too expensive for me to take it any further. Maybe next time...
otakon

Post by otakon »

I enjoyed the latest Morbid Tales zine, they had interviews with DREAM DEATH and BLACK DEATH!
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

DMR wrote:My favorite zine is Lamentations of the Flame Princess. Despite the goofy name, it might be what you're looking for. The most recent issue focused on unsigned bands that play 80s styles of metal (heavy, thrash, and doom).
Interesting zine indeed! Some good analysis too, even if I don't always agree with him. Well, he's maybe the only person that writes interesting reviews of mainstream bands (among less-known ones too). I mainly gave up listening to newer mainstream albums (including albums from old bands) because : 1/ most are lame, overproduced, etc; 2/ mainstream magazines that feature them are even lamer.
Gott ist tot.
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

My fanzines Under fire and Gods of Iron are always ineteresting to read :lol: , sadly are written in spanish :oops:

www.underfirefanzine.com
Hellfighter

Post by Hellfighter »

Noisenik wrote:
Hellfighter wrote:Depth Charge zine, Melbourne based zine from Australia. Very informative with interesting layouts and reviews. Interviews bands from all genres. Last issue had the almighty Cirith Ungol too from memory.

You misread mate, i don't write this zine. The bloke who does, posts here from time to time. I guess he will speak up when he reads this. :twisted:
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Hellfighter wrote:
Noisenik wrote:

You misread mate, i don't write this zine. The bloke who does, posts here from time to time. I guess he will speak up when he reads this. :twisted:
Well, it was 50-50 possibility - you're writing it or you're not writing it. It's kewl anyway.

metalmaster wrote:
My fanzines Under fire and Gods of Iron are always ineteresting to read , sadly are written in spanish
yeah, right, I don't think I know more than 3 words - on a day with high air pressure. :( maybe in next life.

otakon wrote:
I enjoyed the latest Morbid Tales zine, they had interviews with DREAM DEATH and BLACK DEATH!
I gotta check this one!
decibelrebel

Post by decibelrebel »

Hellfighter wrote:
Noisenik wrote:

that horrible mess of a zine is done by me - anyone who wants their eyes soiled by 60pages of unresearched narrow minded cut'n'paste trash just get in touch, prefer trades for demos/tour posters/patches/buttons but a few bucks is always good too!

...also from Aus. I would recommended Devoured Death Zine. Killer old style cut'n'paste A5 zine that reeks of old death, think EternalDarkness zine in smaller format. (Done by Steve from Crucifire)

other nasty zines that I can't recommend enough are Hellpike (nothing but underground black/death/thrash mayhem with a little Living Death tribute in every issue) & Tornado zine (some well constructed interview - current issue is a great read with some questions thrown Ripper's way)

snakepit is definitely the best for words-per-page these days, mutilating process & blood of the ancient are also exhausting reads but seem to be in hibernation these days... nathaniel/chris WAKE UP!!!!!!!!
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

decibelrebel wrote:

that horrible mess of a zine is done by me - anyone who wants their eyes soiled by 60pages of unresearched narrow minded cut'n'paste trash just get in touch, prefer trades for demos/tour posters/patches/buttons but a few bucks is always good too!

...also from Aus. I would recommended Devoured Death Zine. Killer old style cut'n'paste A5 zine that reeks of old death, think EternalDarkness zine in smaller format. (Done by Steve from Crucifire)

other nasty zines that I can't recommend enough are Hellpike (nothing but underground black/death/thrash mayhem with a little Living Death tribute in every issue) & Tornado zine (some well constructed interview - current issue is a great read with some questions thrown Ripper's way)

snakepit is definitely the best for words-per-page these days, mutilating process & blood of the ancient are also exhausting reads but seem to be in hibernation these days... nathaniel/chris WAKE UP!!!!!!!!
whoa! after hellfighter denied it I thought the guy behind might be you. so what's exactly the content of the latest "unresearched narrow minded cut'n'paste trash"? how many volumes you scraped out until today?