Cirith Ungol

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Northwinds

Cirith Ungol

Post by Northwinds »

Been a fan since I heard them first on Metal Massacre I

Here's a few from my collection, I have since added the King of the Dead picture disc on Metal Blade

Almost complete discography :lol:

EDIT: I also have the original Liquid Flames release Frost and Fire lp sealed that was given to me by Jerry many years ago before he passed away. I have a bunch of the original playbills and stickers also from the shows I saw in Califorina when I lived in N Hollywood back in the 80s. In case your wondering what the plain jacket lp with the sticker is, it's the test pressing of King of the Dead
DeathMetalWeenie

Post by DeathMetalWeenie »

Cool band. I got into them in July 84, when the second LP came out, I also picked up the second pressing cassette of "Frost and Fire". It was in stock, so I snagged it.

I was getting heavier into Power and (and what would become called thrash metal) in October 1982. So my head space was Metallica, Anthrax, Exciter, Raven, Slayer, Satan, Exodus, Overkill. and the faster bands from the NWOBHM, and well as the band being championed over at Maximum Rock n Roll, a punk rock hardcore thrash publication.

I am glad I became a fan of this band, because as my favorite artist all "sold out", via the slow down syndrome, one after another, this band had a pretty stellar career, with no disappointing albums at least to me.

All the heavy metal fans at my high school thought I would hate this band and there classic album, becasue I was a hardcore thrasher, but as a metal fan, all I really ever cared about is if a band is heavy.

This band is heavy. The heavier the better and this band is the one of the best of the best.

Cirith Ungol went perfectly between Metallica's "Ride the Lightning" and Celtic Frost's "Morbid Tales" during that era.

There is some dumb*ass kid always running a webzine or a blog, who will say something strang and bizarre like " I would not go into a burning house to go get a Cirith Ungol album", in a record reviews.

I have a top 200 or so records, that I horde and have multiple copies and every world wide pressing of. Stuff I try to replace every year or so. And the first 2 Cirith Ungol's for sure are on that list, and pretty much actually inspired me to think about creating that list.

I have a footlocker of that stuff in a storage unit, as a 3rd back-up, and I have a military footlocker of that stuff at home in the event, of a act of god, or a housefire. I can grab, my "classics and cult favorites" the 2nd back-up box ,and run out the door, and let the other 40 CD racks burn, since I only rate those bands 8 out of 10. Instead of the 10 out of 10. Perfect score this band is. Just Perfect Metal.

I tried a 4th back up system of transfer everything to CD-R, but those suck beyond all belief, and I went back to buying 2 copies of everything, I know will be in my CD player, for a long period of time, a real classic.

I am against IPOD's...because I do not believe they will survive the test of time, as much as I hate cassette's. I would rather buy a cassette and a tape deck over a IPOD.
daniel

Post by daniel »

I want to film you saying these things.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I'm pretty sure now that in the event of a total nuclear annihilation of the planet those 200 records would survive. Metal will never die.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

"Heavy metal survival kit"... :roll:

Ignoring the rant above, I still hold Cirith Ungol as one of my top three bands ever.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

I put them in the same position as you do Khnud. In a top 3 or 4 metal bands for sure.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I will never ever sell my Cirith Ungol LP's!! Priceless stuff. "Master of the Pit" is still one of the best songs ever created.
Long Live The Loud !!!
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I think this thread was intended for discussion about the different pressings of the records. It appears to have turned into a discussion about the band itself though.

Moved to "Into Battle". /Mod
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
DaN
Administructor

Re: Cirith Ungol

Post by DaN »

Nightsblood just wrote a review of Paradise Lost. I think I agree with every single word.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

DaN wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:53 pm Nightsblood just wrote a review of Paradise Lost. I think I agree with every single word.
I don't, because the review says "absence of Flint and Jim in the string section". Jim is playing on the album. Jerry, however, isn't. I'm sure this is just a typo though.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Northwinds

Post by Northwinds »

Thought I would check in on this thread. Since I started it, I have added a lot more Cirith to my vinyl collection. I got an album entire collection from the brother of Tim Baker which had like 8 or 10 Cirth lps in it, one with a very strange quote written on it :lol:

I will have to drag the stuff out again for some new pics
GulliverFoyle

Post by GulliverFoyle »

Khnud wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:44 pm
DaN wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:53 pm Nightsblood just wrote a review of Paradise Lost. I think I agree with every single word.
I don't, because the review says "absence of Flint and Jim in the string section". Jim is playing on the album. Jerry, however, isn't. I'm sure this is just a typo though.

Lol, Heaven/Before The Lash are my favorite tracks from them. :D 8)
Another lonely night, another no name town
it starts to look the same, it starts to bring me down
so many promises you knew I'd never keep
I'll make it up to you, baby, don't give up on me
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Sorry for the lineup typo in my review. I spent a long time digging around trying to figure out whether Jerry Fogle & Flint had actually recorded some of the music for the album but then left the lineup prior to the album's release or if the new guys really did record most-all of the music on the album, and then I also got entangled in the PROPHECY connection, and I fucked up. Kudos to Khnud for catching my mistake.
Working on a few new reviews, just need time to edit them and do some cover scans.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Aiden

Post by Aiden »

Khnud

Post by Khnud »

And the new song is GREAT! Can't wait to hear them play both Legions Arise and Witch's Game at KIT.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight