fuckin' Motörhead

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
akira

Post by akira »

One thing I always loved about Bob Muldowney's Kick Ass Monthly Magazine, when I was a teenager. Motorhead appeared in alot of issuses.
Rock N Roll band in supposed important metal mag, in which at the same time, Mercyful Fate and Attacker are ridiculed. :?
DeathMetalWeenie

Post by DeathMetalWeenie »

akira wrote:
One thing I always loved about Bob Muldowney's Kick Ass Monthly Magazine, when I was a teenager. Motorhead appeared in alot of issuses.
Rock N Roll band in supposed important metal mag, in which at the same time, Mercyful Fate and Attacker are ridiculed. :?

.......at least to me it is THE heavy metal magazine of alltime....I rate Snakepit Higher Than Kick Ass Monthly, but yeah, I like Kick Ass Monthly better than his main competetior Metal Forces, because with Kick Ass Monthly he covered tradtional metal and extreme metal (before most publications), while Metal Forces covered traditional/ extreme and commerical metal. Which made Metal forces like a stange and bizarre cross between Kick Ass monthly and Hit Parader.

I never cared that KAM ripped on Mercyful Fate or Attacker or Dark Age from California or who ever had high pitched or falsetto vocals. Because I always like high pitched stuff from Judas Priest, and Robert Planet. I got into Led Zepplin because CJSS covered "Communication Breakdown". On the January 1986 album "World Gone Madd"

Screaming like Hetfeild (83-86 era) is metal and screaming falsetto high pitched like King Diamond is metal. I wish more singers mixed the two together.

As far as Mercyful Fate, I always liked them better than Metallica. Which was Bob Muldowney's favorite band. With Mercyful Fate. I always knew they influenced Metallica, Exodus, Slayer, Forbidden, Anthrax and tons of other GODLY metal acts.

I have no problem with someone slagging Attacker, Mercyful Fate, Dark Age, because I knew that stuff would stand the test of time. Bob Mitchell is a metal GOD. King Diamond is a metal GOD, and Robert Stevens is a METAL GOD.

But the main thing I always read KAM for was his love for bands in the vein of Motorhead/ Metallica/ Slayer/ Venom/ Exciter/ Raven/ Warfare plus he covered hardcore punk rock/ death metal and black metal before anyone else...I can not think of a power-thrash-death-metal classic album in my collection which I did NOT learn about in KICKASS Monthly. The ones he missed were covered by Snakepit, so I was not out alot of money, because he only missed one or two albums like the Slauter Xstroyes and Deep Switch.

I think Laurent Ramadier is a better journalist and Snakepit is more heavier than Kick Ass Monthly. Because Snakepit features some of the heaviest bands of the earth that have heavy metal elements, to the songwriting.

The cool thing about fanzines back in the 80's was if you collected a years worth, (the publication is not important....just the advertisments, write ups...the record reviews were) and you could rip out the best pages, and have something like a heavy metal yellow pages of the best bands and the best labels.

But I always give credit where credit is due. And yeah I am pretty psyched about discovering of Deep Switch " Nine inches of God " from the GODLY corroseum webzine!!!......( I agree with the record review here if your a rabid/ crazed Sabbat History of a time to come fanatic, you need the Deep Switch CD) Keep em coming like that !!!!!.........f*!@ yeah.

Mayber Muldowney and Ramadier are wrong that faster/ heavier with harder riffs and better songwriting is MORE metal.

When Muldowney died the heavy metal role model left... was Paul Baloff then he died, and that now only leaves only Laurent Ramadier, as the heaviest of the heavy metal fantaics/ maniacs.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

akira wrote:
Do you get it now, what you did there...
GJ

Post by GJ »

Anyhow, Heavy Metal Massacre was the only true real actual unquestionable Heavy Metal publication.

*performing the "bonnatwist"*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Z_oABJWM0
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

not a fan boy,but i do like them a lot. Perfect party music if theres metalheads. punkers and hardcore dudes around, that way no one fights over the music...

seriously, my fave album Iron Fist, their heaviest Bastards (and probably with the best lyrics,just check out dont let daddy kiss me!) saw them 2 times live,both at Wacken,which sucks,i would prefer that kind of sound in a smaller cozy club...
Zdan

Post by Zdan »

I do a cover of "Born To Raise Hell" with my band. 'Nuff said.
daniel

Post by daniel »

"Little girl sleeping in dreams of peace
Mommy been gone a long time
Daddy comes home and she still sleeps
Waiting for the world worst crime
And he comes up the stairs like he always does

And he never turns on the light
And she's wide awake, scared to death
She smells his lust and she smells his sweat
Curled in a ball she holds her breath

Praying to a God that she's never met
Don't let Daddy kiss me, don't let Daddy kiss me
Goodnight

Little girl lies by her Daddy's side
And she listens to him breathe
She knows there's something awful wrong
That she's far too young to see

And she knows she can't tell anyone
She's too full of guilt and shame
And if she tells she'll be all alone
They'd steal her Daddy and they'd steal her home

And it's not so bad when Daddy leaves her alone
Praying to her God with his heart of stone
Don't let Daddy kiss me, don't let Daddy kiss me
Goodnight"

Good lyrics? I think you're confusing the fact you perhaps think it's an important issue, detestable conduct and of significance to write a song about, with the lyrics automatically being good. What they seem like to me is school-child level.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

daniel wrote:
Good lyrics? I think you're confusing the fact you perhaps think it's an important issue, detestable conduct and of significance to write a song about, with the lyrics automatically being good. What they seem like to me is school-child level.
maybe they seem like that to you...For me when music atmosphere plays so well with lyrics taking on such "realistic" themes without being all explicit about it works very fine for my taste
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

When I listen to Motörhead, I like the lyrics. When I read back the lyrics when the song isn't playing, I just raise the old eyebrow.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Yeah that's how it often is isn't it, in the context of the song any crap can be great and fitting(like some Christian stuff that gets the blood pumping or I sing along to haha) but when you're more objective most lyrics are useless. If I'm going to say something is really well written, I don't want to judge music lyrics by some different standard than I do other literature :)
Vinny Black

Post by Vinny Black »

daniel wrote: If I'm going to say something is really well written, I don't want to judge music lyrics by some different standard than I do other literature :)

Then, dear Sir, I am afraid that you do not fully understand the concept of music.
"My music is not modern, it is merely badly played." Arnold Schönberg 1874-1951
daniel

Post by daniel »

And how is that? Less than great lyrics can work perfectly within a song, I love all kinds of "silly" and cliché sounding things, I love them and acknowledge that they are pretty silly outside the musical context. When looked at by themselves, most come up short, and what in your mind is so flawed with this? Honestly if people really can't separate what is well written from some purely emotional attachment it comes off as them not knowing too much about literature, and no, I do firmly believe that which could be considered an advanced use of language is beyond subjectivity(because it's an impossibility to live and have opinions to me if -everything- is constantly referred to as "merely subjective"). There's a line between that and snobbery, and I see no point in dumbing things down when it comes to being honest about this aspect of the music.
akira

Post by akira »

Vinny Black wrote:
daniel wrote: If I'm going to say something is really well written, I don't want to judge music lyrics by some different standard than I do other literature :)

Then, dear Sir, I am afraid that you do not fully understand the concept of music.
And, what do you do when lyrics are "good", and you don't like the music. Presumably you listen the song because of the lyrics. :lol:
daniel

Post by daniel »

What's the point of that smiley? If by chance there were some crap song that would have "good lyrics", it wouldn't make any damn difference to me, perhaps the lyrics gave me something to think about etc. but why would I "listen" to the song. Your point just sounds dumb.
akira

Post by akira »

daniel wrote:What's the point of that smiley? If by chance there were some crap song that would have "good lyrics", it wouldn't make any damn difference to me, perhaps the lyrics gave me something to think about etc. but why would I "listen" to the song. Your point just sounds dumb.
No, it's not dumb. Lyrics are not important to me as long I like the music.