fuckin' Motörhead

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Piotr Sargnagel wrote:
daniel wrote:crap lyrics
I'd like to see some evidence of these please.
The nearest Lemmy ever got to a naff lyric was that joke about his "bacon torpedo".
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
daniel

Post by daniel »

Don't need to give any examples of lyrics, think near all of them are simplistic and uninteresting, and don't stand out in any way. They work as sing-along stuff don't they but some seem to think it's some kind of deep poetry.

Nice to hear others not banging on about them either, the reason I mentioned the metal thing at all is because it's common to see the attitude that "metalheads" HAVE to like Motörhead. As seen in this thread already.

Don't look up to Lemmy either, drinking and strippers, whatever. Yeah over-defensive fans bring out more vitriol than usual.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Lama

Post by Lama »

Crap Lyrics?

Well, if that's a reason for not liking a band, most metalheads can throw away 80% of their collection... :roll: Personally I don't think Lemmy is a bad lyricist, on the contrary even! Check "Orgasmatron"!

I consider Motörhead as one of my all time faves. I have every studio record, a couple of compilations and some live albums. My first Motörhead-album was "March Ör Die". Not exactly their finest hour, and to some even their weakest, but I still love that record. Brings back fine memories whenever I listen to it. I can't say there is one album I dislike. Sure, most of them have a couple of weaker tracks, no doubt about that.

They may not be 'heavy metal' in the truest sense of the word, yet it cannot be denied that they helped to shape the music genre (and all it's offspring) we all love. If there's one band you can call 'proto-metal', it's Motörhead. The speed, the aggression, the rawness, the gruff vocals...it's all there!

Being honest, I'm quite surprised that so many people here consider them as 'second rate'. Not obscure enough, huh? Making 10-song compilations?? Dammit what is wrong with you guys???!!! :evil:
Kampel Destruction
Ernest Thesiger

daniel wrote:Yeah over-defensive fans bring out more vitriol than usual.
What vitriol? It's not as if you're being called a sissy or a poser for not liking Motörhead.

I think there's a lot of dry, sly wit in Lemmy's lyrics. Hardly as "simplistic" as Tygers of Pan Tang or something.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Well, I don't think there is a rule that says that Motorhead should be in everyone's top lists... I personally like them to a certain degree (never a fave though), but one thing I have observed here over the years is the not so unusal response that when something is not obscure enough then it's not worth our time. Don't think the majority of the people writing here act and think this way. It's not a shame to admit that you don't WORSHIP DOWN ON YOUR KNEES every 'classic' band there is to worship, especially when it doesn't really click with you.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

I enjoy the albums with the classic line-up "Bomber" "Overkill" "Ace of Spades" and the live album. The following albums are more average imo, I only enjoy a song here and there.
But I must admit it's always a great pleasure to see them live !
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

Motorhead (and Saxon) are bands that are far better live than in studio.
Before i saw them live for the first time, i always thought they were good but not one of my favorites. But seeing them for the first time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orh1IUGf1ZY
changed my opinion, one of the best live performers and every time i see them i have a great time.
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

daniel wrote:crap. simplistic and uninteresting, and don't stand out in any way.

vitriol
Nobody here has been vitriolic actually. What you've written could be construed as bordering on vitriol though.

And simplistic? I can think of dozens of bands whose lyrics really are crap; badly written, no poetry, no feeling. Motorhead isn't one of them. And I'd also like you to know that I'm not a huge fan of the band either, I just think your attitude towards them is biased.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Ah vitriol, that was just me deciding to use an exaggerated word ;) And the way I wrote it, means it was coming from me, not anyone else.

Yep, most metal bands do have really bad lyrics, which I've said before, and still that doesn't make any difference here, as if "well the others are worse" means I can't dislike Lemmy's in general...?

Who is objective about music?

Got like 8 or 9 of their LP:s and heard most of the rest.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Anyone else not seeing the magnificence of 1916 but still loving most of their other albums?
Ernest Thesiger

Black Axe wrote:Anyone else not seeing the magnificence of 1916
Goodness, no. I think it's tremendous. Title song's a tearjerker.
Keir

Post by Keir »

1916 is actually the one album that really grabs me from start to finish. The rest... I'm with nightsblood and stormspell.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I love all albums till and including 1916 to death. After that it's a bit hit and miss. The last albums are also great. I'm listening to ZOetrope now and they have a little Motorhead inside them as well.
Long Live The Loud !!!
msp

Post by msp »

I can't say I am a masssive fan. Certainly not an essential band for me and probably there are lots of bands I would choose before I pull at Motorhead album out of the racks.

. That said I can appreciate some tracks and I quite like the later albums 'Sacrifice' and 'Inferno'.
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
daniel

Post by daniel »

Guys probably see Lemmy as some sort of hero, as far as I've heard from a few women, the guy is actually a fucking ass, and I trust their opinions and anecdotes more than fanboys.