HALLOWEEN - fear (?) the return

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
User avatar
mordred
Posts: 1719

HALLOWEEN - fear (?) the return

Post#1 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:22 am

Last week I kind of rediscovered one of my first true loves of ancient-forgotten-80's-metal, Detroit's Halloween. This band holds so much memories and special meanings to me, I again realized I totally love all their three albums. I can't decide which is the best, the energetic and enthusiastic debut Don't Metal With Evil (1984), the slightly more melodic and focused Victims of the Night (recorded 1986) which probably has the best songwriting, or the more speed metal oriented No One Gets Out! (1991). They are all so special to me. Or perhaps the Vicius Demonstration Demo, that is included on the NOGO cd. Black Skies may be their best songs ever. Why is it that no one's afraid of light anyway?

But, on to the point of this thread. Enthusiastic of their albums I browsed the internet and found their webpage. And they jus recently put out a brand new album! After all these years they are still intact, with the original vocalist and bass player, one of the guitar players from NOGO-era and a new drummer. The album is called Horror Fire. They had sound clips of every song and I would be lying if it seems to be a masterpiece, but their style has not changed and some riffsd sounded really promising. And I love Brian Thomas voice 'til death. Of course I ordered a copy.

You can have Halloween all year!
In some lost corner of the world there sits a leprechaun laughing merrily atop a mountain of mysteriously lost LP innersleeves

User avatar
DaN
Administructor
Posts: 6611
Contact:

Post#2 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:06 am

The show at KIT a few years ago was great. Had a blast, but for some reason I never became a total fan of the "Don't Metal With Evil" album. I heard a tad too much American HR mixed into their Metal and very few of the songs stuck in my head. I still have to check out the later stuff, so I'll postpone my final judgement til then.

Check out their page on www.motorcityrock.com . There's 2 full live shows there for download.
Veterans of the Various-Wars - New Corroseum compilations-compilation series!

User avatar
mordred
Posts: 1719

Post#3 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:38 am

DaN wrote:The show at KIT a few years ago was great. Had a blast, but for some reason I never became a total fan of the "Don't Metal With Evil" album. I heard a tad too much American HR mixed into their Metal and very few of the songs stuck in my head. I still have to check out the later stuff, so I'll postpone my final judgement til then.

Check out their page on www.motorcityrock.com . There's 2 full live shows there for download.
I can see your point about Don't Metal With Evil. But I totally enjoy their genius blending of Omen and Mötley Crue. You should check out No One Gets Out then, it's their heaviest album. Songs like Crawl to the Altar and the title cut is total US-speed metal blast and the album has a stint of doom too it as well. Miss Eerie's Child and Another Seven Years is fucking heavy, haunting stuff. I'm not sure if this album was ever released on vinyl. I think the only version you can find is the cd-reissue of 2001. But it's a great choice, as it comes with the Vicious Demonstration demo as bonus tracks.

Ah, I really need to give No One Gets Out another spin tonight, in wait for HORROR FIRE. What an album title!
In some lost corner of the world there sits a leprechaun laughing merrily atop a mountain of mysteriously lost LP innersleeves

User avatar
metalmaster
Posts: 774
Contact:

Post#4 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:44 pm

And you cant forget their live video which is pretty good in my opinion (not as great as any Death SS video, though). The video clip for "What a nice place" is kindda funny

User avatar
omen of hate
Posts: 6116

Post#5 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:43 pm

metalmaster wrote:And you cant forget their live video which is pretty good in my opinion (not as great as any Death SS video, though). The video clip for "What a nice place" is kindda funny
How can I get this live video ?

Fucking Åmål
Posts: 1373

Post#6 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:57 pm

I remembered some years ago when i bought Halloween-Don't Metal With Evil on CD,this first CD was like Alice Cooper,Kiss a mix heavy and glam but with no sucess to my mind.I founded them a typical AVERAGE band with no real inspiration.We can't say Halloween was a great band and ignoring thousands of bands like the Godly Blaspheme and Violent Force which i hear these days and had much less advertisement,Such A Shame.

User avatar
metalmaster
Posts: 774
Contact:

Post#7 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:51 pm

omen of hate wrote:
metalmaster wrote:And you cant forget their live video which is pretty good in my opinion (not as great as any Death SS video, though). The video clip for "What a nice place" is kindda funny
How can I get this live video ?
Well I think it is not avilable on dvd, and the beta/vhs video must be hard to get certainly

User avatar
mordred
Posts: 1719

Post#8 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:47 pm

Fucking Åmål wrote:I remembered some years ago when i bought Halloween-Don't Metal With Evil on CD,this first CD was like Alice Cooper,Kiss a mix heavy and glam but with no sucess to my mind.I founded them a typical AVERAGE band with no real inspiration.We can't say Halloween was a great band and ignoring thousands of bands like the Godly Blaspheme and Violent Force which i hear these days and had much less advertisement,Such A Shame.
Well, to each is his own.
If you ask me, Blaspheme was clearly more of an AVERAGE band than Halloween. Halloween simply rules.
In some lost corner of the world there sits a leprechaun laughing merrily atop a mountain of mysteriously lost LP innersleeves

User avatar
Ruthlessmetal
Posts: 11
Contact:

Post#9 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:10 pm

haven't heard more than the Don't Metal with Evil-album but it's indeed a great album.

DeathMetalWeenie
Posts: 103

Post#10 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:06 pm

I think there best one is "Don't Metal With Evil" ( I have all four official pressings, the 1984 promo cassette with band picture. The 1985 version with the current cover. The 1998 CD done in association with Loud and Proud. And the current CD done by Pure Steel records.... (I have never seen the Reborn Classics bootleg version with the Lamours Rocks compilation song "Cum and Get it", in the second hand stores in the Dearborn/ Garden City/ Westland area)... I have the No One Gets Out !....On cassette and CD, in original pressing.

I skipped out on the Evil Pieces EP, and Horror Fire releases, because, I am not a fan of the comeback album / reunion trend.... I never liked a band so much, I will buy every release with there logo on it no matter what...only Motorhead. (unless they sellout of course).

I liked fast paced music over mid paced stuff. even though Halloween, mixed LA glam hard rock/ heavy rock... of Motley Crue.... with some faster stuffs probably Judas Priest. They were fast enough.

Every October when I celebrated the Holiday Halloween ALL MONTH LONG. I love digging out the old Coven "Witchcraft Destroys Minds and Reaps Souls" 1970 debut album (the Coven that sounds like Jefferson Starship and not the Gothic band from Michigan), my Elvira CD's, the Megaforce edition of "Melissa" from Mercyful Fate + tons of other Halloween goodies.

I could careless about the "don't metal with evil" positive lyrical stance, I also love the first 4 releases from Chicago's Trouble (1983 Live, Psalms 9, The Skull, Run to the Light). If the music is good, that all that matters.

User avatar
daniel
Posts: 1992

Post#11 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:20 pm

And whether Kick Ass etc. approve of course.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.

DeathMetalWeenie
Posts: 103

Post#12 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:19 pm

And whether Kick Ass etc. approve of course
**************************************************
Ha!! Probably not...Bob Muldowney hated any band with a high pitched singer. GODS like Mercyful Fate and Attacker and Dark Age got attacked there, non- stop.

I choose Kick Ass Monthly over Kerrang and Metal Forces. Because Metal Forces had that poser Kevin Hellrazor on there staff. Making Kick Ass Monthly the worlds #1 premier heavy metal bible, from August 81- late 1986. Kick ass monthly Ruled because you could call them up and debate them over this and that review, as long as the debate was honest and sincere.

I got that Dont Metal with Evil cassette becasue. I mailed the Megaforce back catalogue, (because I though Metallica and Anthrax was the continuation of NWOBHM)to a NWOBHM heavy metal fan in Michigan, so he send me alot of those 1984 "Don't Metal with Evil" promo's to pass out to my friends at my High School.

My collection never matched Kick Ass monthly album for album, because I had superior purchasing power, (yeah my parents had TONS of disposable income...not only do I have only mint condition in my collection at all times, I also have back up copies of my favorite top 150 albums...plus all those reissues, because I am smart enough to get say Nasty Savage "indulgence", if a copy appears in a second hand record store FOR A "beater copy", until it gets over played and ruined and then find its replacement) and got to indulge in the genres & sub-genres of Punk Rock, Punk Metal (hardcore crossover thrash), Heavy Metal, Power Metal, Thrash Metal, Death Metal, Black Metal, Speed Metal.

So i was always buying albums a couple months or a few months, before the labels could send out advance promo copies, and get to reviewed in Kick Ass monthly.

But yeah if you had a limited income and could not afford to buy every record you wanted "just to check it out", then heavy metal fanzines were totally important. I always have gone to the record store 3 times a week, to get what is essential, to avoid the collectors market, at all cost.

What I liked about Bob Muldowney, is he could tell the difference between hard rock and heavy metal. And based his publication on those facts.

And he concentrated on undiluted & authentic heavy metal. And championed bands in the family tree of the band Venom, while everyone else, thought they were just "another band".

So between the 11 year gap between the first Snakepit Magazine and the last Kick Ass Monthly, I read something called Sounds of Death Metal.

It seem everyone who loves glam music forgets KICK ASS heavy metal and Kick Ass monthly predated that MTV trend by a couple of years. I appreciated this magazine because I had the same vantage point.

User avatar
Avenger
Posts: 8188

Post#13 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:34 am

DeathMetalWeenie wrote:And whether Kick Ass etc. approve of course
**************************************************
Ha!! Probably not...Bob Muldowney hated any band with a high pitched singer. GODS like Mercyful Fate and Attacker and Dark Age got attacked there, non- stop.

I choose Kick Ass Monthly over Kerrang and Metal Forces. Because Metal Forces had that poser Kevin Hellrazor on there staff. Making Kick Ass Monthly the worlds #1 premier heavy metal bible, from August 81- late 1986. Kick ass monthly Ruled because you could call them up and debate them over this and that review, as long as the debate was honest and sincere.

I got that Dont Metal with Evil cassette becasue. I mailed the Megaforce back catalogue, (because I though Metallica and Anthrax was the continuation of NWOBHM)to a NWOBHM heavy metal fan in Michigan, so he send me alot of those 1984 "Don't Metal with Evil" promo's to pass out to my friends at my High School.

My collection never matched Kick Ass monthly album for album, because I had superior purchasing power, (yeah my parents had TONS of disposable income...not only do I have only mint condition in my collection at all times, I also have back up copies of my favorite top 150 albums...plus all those reissues, because I am smart enough to get say Nasty Savage "indulgence", if a copy appears in a second hand record store FOR A "beater copy", until it gets over played and ruined and then find its replacement) and got to indulge in the genres & sub-genres of Punk Rock, Punk Metal (hardcore crossover thrash), Heavy Metal, Power Metal, Thrash Metal, Death Metal, Black Metal, Speed Metal.

So i was always buying albums a couple months or a few months, before the labels could send out advance promo copies, and get to reviewed in Kick Ass monthly.

But yeah if you had a limited income and could not afford to buy every record you wanted "just to check it out", then heavy metal fanzines were totally important. I always have gone to the record store 3 times a week, to get what is essential, to avoid the collectors market, at all cost.

What I liked about Bob Muldowney, is he could tell the difference between hard rock and heavy metal. And based his publication on those facts.

And he concentrated on undiluted & authentic heavy metal. And championed bands in the family tree of the band Venom, while everyone else, thought they were just "another band".

So between the 11 year gap between the first Snakepit Magazine and the last Kick Ass Monthly, I read something called Sounds of Death Metal.

It seem everyone who loves glam music forgets KICK ASS heavy metal and Kick Ass monthly predated that MTV trend by a couple of years. I appreciated this magazine because I had the same vantage point.
I forgot what you were even talking about to begin with half way through that rant.
Last edited by Avenger on Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."

big mouth
Posts: 504

Post#14 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:09 am

Blaspheme was clearly more of an AVERAGE band than Halloween.
Jeez!

DeathMetalWeenie
Posts: 103

Post#15 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:27 am

I forgot what you were even talking about the begin with half way through that
*******************************************************

I was explaining I have alot of albums deemed a 8/10 or a 7/10 by Kick Ass monthly, which I rate a 9/10 or 10/10 because I favor high pitched vocals, where as Bob Muldowney like vocals like Motorhead/ Venom/ Slayer/ Metallica. And Bob Muldowney, may of not rated this album, because I doubt he got a promotion copy of the 1984 version of that album, where as I had few dozen to pass-around.

Kick ass monthly had reviewed alot of demos and singles and EPS, where as I only collected albums...so after his fanzine went bankrupt in Summer of 1986. I had a totally huge record collection, because I was purchasing by word of mouth, and not strictly going by fanzines.

Because I always had tons of money to just buy tons of records, before the record reviews even came out. I never purchased a record based on his reviews (except Medieval cassette album)...But his writing influenced me on what to look for in a metal album, and with his insights, i understood the difference between hard rock and heavy metal.

I learned the importance of getting the essential albums over the guilty pleasure ones first and foremost. With the insights of his demo reviews, I knew to get the Possessed "Seven Churches" debut, a year before it was released because of the accurate description of the demo a year earlier.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

cron