Can someone be a collector and a metalhead at the same time?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

I can't imagine any of these "dirty" ways in which people obtain rarities. Stealing records?
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

ION BRITTON wrote:I've heard lots of stories about how collectors obtained some of their rarities, plus I've experienced a few ones myself.
I'm a bit curious about this. What defines a "dirty" way of obtaining a rare and expensive item? Ok, stealing it is a sure example, but finding it for $1 in the used bin and not telling the seller: "hey, this is actually worth $150" doesn't qualify as dirty in my book.

Edit: We're becoming increasingly off-topic, perhaps this conversation should be split into a separate thread. What say the mods?
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Piotr Sargnagel wrote:I can't imagine any of these "dirty" ways in which people obtain rarities. Stealing records?
I'm sure everyone is familiar with at least one case of rip-off here and that's one thing.

The other thing is that "dirty" doesn't always mean illegal. You can be "dirty" by doing something immoral which is not illegal though. But as Priamos said, the meaning of the words "clean" and "dirty" is subjective.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
LethylSteel

Post by LethylSteel »

Khnud wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:I've heard lots of stories about how collectors obtained some of their rarities, plus I've experienced a few ones myself.
I'm a bit curious about this. What defines a "dirty" way of obtaining a rare and expensive item? Ok, stealing it is a sure example, but finding it for $1 in the used bin and not telling the seller: "hey, this is actually worth $150" doesn't qualify as dirty in my book.
That's not an dirty way, but if you take a record that you know it's worth 200 $ by someone you call a friend or something then that's pretty dirty. Or like the guy who bought the last Iron Cross (Florida) LP's from the band in the 90's for an apple and an egg and a few months/year later a band member asked a collector about the value of the record and he said 500 $!! :lol: :wink:
Live your life by your will, learn to be an animal ...
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

LethylSteel wrote:Or like the guy who bought the last Iron Cross (Florida) LP's from the band in the 90's for an apple and an egg and a few months/year later a band member asked a collector about the value of the record and he said 500 $!! :lol: :wink:
If that guy knew the price of the LP and never told the band anything about it or he didn't try in some way to play it fair by for example giving them a percentage of what he sold later (I assume at least 20x the price he bought them), that's downright fucking dirty for me. I understand not everyone sees it this way, but that's how I do.

Created a new topic, btw.

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
LethylSteel

Post by LethylSteel »

He knew the price as he is/was also a dealer. I think most people here know him/them as all the Iron Cross copies that surfaced in the mid/late 90's came from the same source. :wink:
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

i try to be both.i think the truth is that they are not the same things per se,but they do overlap a lot.
for example i buy and trade,but i also spend 500 euro a year to go to keep it true.500 euro to a greek is more like 1000 euro to a north european,based on monthly wages.i could say look fuck KIT,i can buy a leather nunn with this money on ebay.but i ld rather much watch my favorite bands on stage actually.
but this works both ways-the 25 euro i spent to see heir apparent essentially without a singer last week,i ld much rather had spent that on a record.
by the way the ONLY fun in collecting is getting the item cheaper than normal.Bill Gates could spend 1-2 mil and buy a huge metal collection in 1 nanosecond and be the biggest metal collector in the world.its not just money-the law is yeah ok spend all your cash on records,but you HAVE to have the urge to headbang,otherwise go collect stamps.
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear
caminantenocturno

Post by caminantenocturno »

sovdat wrote:The only miserable thing is telling other people what do to and how to act or either making your own conclusions of their actions and the path they've taken in life.
Sheers to that.

Nobody tells me who or what I am nor what I should be. :twisted:
LethylSteel

Post by LethylSteel »

Everyone needs to decide for himself what kind of collector/Metalhead he is. I just say Priamos wasn't that wrong with his categorizing.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Neither did he tell anyone what to do or what he should be of course.

caminantenocturno

Post by caminantenocturno »

True. I did not mean to imply anything of the kind. Just had similar discussions a hundred times already.
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

LethylSteel wrote:He knew the price as he is/was also a dealer. I think most people here know him/them as all the Iron Cross copies that surfaced in the mid/late 90's came from the same source. :wink:
I don't know about this.

I have only ever had 2 copies of this LP both found in stores, I never got a copy from the band.

I was the first person to find the band and did the reissue.

At that time the band was told what the Lp was worth and I set up the sale of a copy from Rex to a German collector for I think $600 which at the time was a good price.

At that time I would have thought everyone in the band knew how much the LP was worth so I can't see someone taking advatage of them after that.

Sounds strange.
"I am NOT a collector"
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

Since this one became a seperate thread let's discuss it a bit more.
[quote="chatzial]
I understand you and you have a point that the collector's world/market is not heavenly made (as every business).

I just don't like to categorise people. To me a youngster who owns let's say 50 to 100 CDs, is already having a collection, so he is a metal collector. It does not matter how big a collection is. Everything starts from the love of metal music.

I don't think being a collector is a matter of numbers; it's a matter of attitude. And i oppose to this attitude; not to collectors in general (especially if I don't know them in person).
I have about 4.000 CD/LP/7''/Cassettes/demos (mostly CDs), but I never considered myself collector. Why?
1. I scarcely buy something because of its rarity. Only for the music value and out of curiosity (if I can't listen otherwise).
2. I never sell!! I'm a metalhead not a professional merchant to make my living from selling metal. If I have a decent income and I can afford it, I buy , otherwise my friends dub me tapes, I download etc. So I'm strongly against selling metal for an extra income or inorder to afford my expensive taste in metal.
3. I don't buy expensive stuff (>30-40 Euros). I'll never allow to anyone to get rich on my back.

PS.
I'm sure everyone is familiar with at least one case of rip-off here and that's one thing.

The other thing is that "dirty" doesn't always mean illegal. You can be "dirty" by doing something immoral which is not illegal though. But as Priamos said, the meaning of the words "clean" and "dirty" is subjective.
I'm not trying to make an anti-collector front :lol: or search for allies, but Ion got exactly my point.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

LethylSteel wrote:an apple and an egg
Eh?
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

ION BRITTON wrote:Neither did he tell anyone what to do or what he should be of course.
Neither did I write that Priamos said that neither was my post reply to his. It's just my point of view on the whole stuff + the general impression that I get.