The song that changed your life?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Kelly

The song that changed your life?

Post by Kelly »

I'm not sure where to put this, since the song might be anything from Beethoven to Mayhem. Oh well, here's mine.

I remember when I was 5 years old, riding with my dad in his old friggin Mercedes Benz, going to another little smallish town here in northern Sweden called Storuman. He was going to copy some cassettes if I remember correctly, and anyway, on the ride back to Vilhelmina (the place where I lived back then), SIR LORD BALTIMORE - Caesar LXXI started to play, and I was in shock. Totallty f*cking mesmerized. I must have told him to backward and repeat that song at least a dozen times that ride. By then I knew what to dedicate my life to.
Without evil there could be no good so it must be good to be evil sometimes.
Outcast

Post by Outcast »

I don't think that any song changed my life, but I first discovered heavy metal via this record:

I was like 5 years old and really liked the cover and music.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Impossible to mention just one song.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

ION BRITTON wrote:Impossible to mention just one song.
Well, the _first_ song?
Without evil there could be no good so it must be good to be evil sometimes.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

The oldest one I remember shitting my pants upon the first listen was GUNS 'N' ROSES' Civil War. I think it was half a year after the album was released (so probably somewhere in early '92), I still have the original tape my father had bought me, completely worn out now.

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Dokken_Uwe

Post by Dokken_Uwe »

ION BRITTON wrote:The oldest one I remember shitting my pants upon the first listen was GUNS 'N' ROSES' Civil War. I think it was half a year after the album was released (so probably somewhere in early '92), I still have the original tape my father had bought me, completely worn out now.
Kool, you lost your "Metal virginity" to GNR and so did I. :lol:
Must have been "November rain" in 1998 (on TV).
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Well, since it's one of their most metallic ones, in a way you can say so, I guess. I discovered heavy metal 3-4 years after that though, I was listening to more hard rockish bands like SCORPIONS, QUEEN, ALICE COOPER etc until that time.

Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Well, I listened to Guns'n'Roses in the 80's, along with other crap like Europe (which was the band to listen to at my school), Kiss, Van Halen etc. but none of the above mentioned bands really converted me to the harder sides of music.

Then, in late 1990 or early 1991, a friend played me this strange tape he'd recorded from some radio station, and one of the songs were stranger than the others. It had a very long intro with horses galloping, mouth harp playing and birds chirping...

And then there was metal.

Bathory - One Road To Asa Bay was the song that got the ball rolling for me.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

My story goes way back. When i was 10 to 11 years old, i had an obession with Elvis. I remember that when i got a hair cut i asked my father to let me leave long whiskers :lol:

My father was more into rock music at that time, so he was angry that i always wanted to listen to a best of tape of Elvis that i got for my birthday. One day he told me "Ok, that's enough with Elvis. Here are some tapes with good music, for you to listen. One tape was by Steve Miller Band and the other one was Queen's "A night at the opera".

That was it. The song that did it was "Death on two Legs".
After that i started looking for more rockers through my father's tapes and vinyls. I got my first vinyl LP in 1982 (the "In trance" by Scorpions). Before the year passed, i was already a metalhead, looking for heavier music to listen to.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

This is the first heavy song I remember hearing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLyXNm64brU

Still have the same copy of the album my mum owned back in 1978.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Outcast

Post by Outcast »

I liked a lot of glam/sweet metal stuff during my childhood, but G'N'R never clicked to me.
Priamos

Re: The song that changed your life?

Post by Priamos »

Kelly wrote: SIR LORD BALTIMORE - Caesar LXXI
Great song! By far my Sir Lord Baltimore fave,too.

The song that changed my life wasn't one of the first I had listened. Actually, I was into metal/hard rock since 1986/87 (and I loved it) but only after I listened to Manowar-Battle Hymn in 1989 I realised that this is what i wanted and was going to do for the rest of my life.
DeathMetalWeenie

Post by DeathMetalWeenie »

The song that changed my life was a album from Black Sabbath called We sold our soul for Rock n Roll. It was "Paranoid". After hearing that I went to the record store and got there whole back-catalogue. This was a few years before Iron Maiden released there debut.

But with this Black Sabbath song, is when I had a epiphany that heavy metal could just be as powerful in terms of evocation (profound & sacred) as the classical masters. I found something in hard rock/heavy metal, that blew my mind, just as much as my classical music faves. Orff, Chopin, Ravel...and tons of others.

I am pretty grateful I got in to 80's true metal at ground zero, year one. 39 months before the hair metal trend/ fad started to catch a wave because of MTV (eMpTy).

I listened to classical music non-stop as a baby in 1967 until NWOBHM & 80's metal happened when I became a teenager in 1980.

I am 44 now, and I will for sure be a life-long classical and heavy metal fan.

Whoa, what a rush that first powerful heavy metal experience that was.
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Listening to The Doors with my uncle back when I was 7-8 was when music really "clicked" for me, so probably them. After that I was obsessed, begged my mom to buy me a walkman and started buying/dubbing tapes left and right.
sagrotan

Post by sagrotan »

"metalwise", must've been Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water being 12 on skiing class trip.. was only into Chris de Burgh and Dschinghis Khan until then and went like :shock:
Down there in the Darkness
Centuries of Evil
And his Arms will take you deeper and deeper