What do you consider overrated by the underground ?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
boris

What do you consider overrated by the underground ?

Post by boris »

Well, I don't know how well such a discussion would go, but I wanted to give it a try. The jubject I wanted to raise here is that there are many bands and records which are hailed by the underground metal fans, but not everyone thinks they are so great. Be it records that are blindly considered good due to their rarity, or just some bands who (old or new) who are metal, "kult" and true, but musically they suck. Or any other reason.
Here's the ones most of the people here might like, but I don't :

* REMEMBER - it's only MY PERSONAL OPINION !!! I don't try to propagandize anything or offend anyone, just saying what I think according to my own musical tastes !!! *

Tyrant (Hold back the Lightning) - they are just mediocre or below. The vocals are beyond annoying and the songs are just not interesting. It may cost around 200 - 300 euros, but it still sucks. The only good thing on this one are the first seconds of the b-side.

Tyrant (from Scene of the Crime) - Among the crappier heavy bands from the NWOBHM. It's just annoying. I can see why they didn't get past the compilation stage, but I don't see why they weren't replaced by another 2 Sparta tracks on this LP. The songs are just weird (not in a good way).

Gotham City - extremely overrated band. I've tried to listen to it again and again, yet I don't see why so many people like them. Just a mediocre metal band, nothing else. None of the songs caught my attention, just plain stuff.

Zone Zero - Boring. no real energy or anything like this. Nothing special at all. just a $1.99 record for me. No memorable riffs or anything. Might have been good live, might have been "kult", might have been metal, but the music's just mediocre.

Lord Weird Slough Feg - Can't understand the fuss about this one. Propagandized as the most true metal band ever, that would never sell out and will keep the metal spirit going and whatever else. OK, but their music's boring and annoyingly weird. I don't like it and don't understand it.

Many more that I don't remember right now have a place on that list. Once again, that's only my personal opinion and taste, not trying to make a point here or whatever. Just don't understand what the fuss is about so many of these underground and "kult" / true bands, because so much of them suck, and I think that's why many of them only stayed in the underground.

Oh and spelling cult with a "K" is stupid.

What do you think ?
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

Shouldn't have said that about Gotham City.
boris

Post by boris »

Just expressing my opinion. Hope most people here are liberal and ready to express opinions other than their own (many "metalheads" are not, sadly). Tastes vary even among the metal fans. The last thing I would like is to anger or offend anyone, just want to make this point as clear as possible.
Dirty Rocker

Post by Dirty Rocker »

Hehe, I guess we don't share the same opinions about this.

Tyrant 7'' - The best NWOBHM 7'' ever done. A flawless single, Kelser is amazing on the vocals in my opinion too!

Tyrant (Scene... V/A) - Fucking awesome band. Love it.

Gotham City - Best band from Sweden...

Zone Zero - ...together with these.

But this is of course my opinion, and we all have different ones as you say!
THE DAWN OF THE MEGA-METAL
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

I never see people overrating these bands as you say.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

We are scratching old wounds with this thread...Anyway, i'll agree with Boris on GOTHAM CITY and the TYRANT of Kent Rocks. GC never moved me, a few good songs, nothing that would stay forever though. Sweden has dozens of better bands than them. TYRANT are below par, uninteresting band.

About LWSF: No, in no way they are the truest band, many people have made them gods, however they are not bad. They have some originality in their music + some really good songs and that's a positive and pretty succesful thing if you take into consideration all the shit that has pested today's metal scene.

Oh and don't forget that this was only MY opinion. Don't wanna cause a fight, so take it easy...
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Fucking Åmål

Re: What do you consider overrated by the underground ?

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Boris wrote:Well, I don't know how well such a discussion would go, but I wanted to give it a try. The jubject I wanted to raise here is that there are many bands and records which are hailed by the underground metal fans, but not everyone thinks they are so great. Be it records that are blindly considered good due to their rarity, or just some bands who (old or new) who are metal, "kult" and true, but musically they suck. Or any other reason.
Here's the ones most of the people here might like, but I don't :

* REMEMBER - it's only MY PERSONAL OPINION !!! I don't try to propagandize anything or offend anyone, just saying what I think according to my own musical tastes !!! *

Tyrant (Hold back the Lightning) - they are just mediocre or below. The vocals are beyond annoying and the songs are just not interesting. It may cost around 200 - 300 euros, but it still sucks. The only good thing on this one are the first seconds of the b-side.

Tyrant (from Scene of the Crime) - Among the crappier heavy bands from the NWOBHM. It's just annoying. I can see why they didn't get past the compilation stage, but I don't see why they weren't replaced by another 2 Sparta tracks on this LP. The songs are just weird (not in a good way).

Gotham City - extremely overrated band. I've tried to listen to it again and again, yet I don't see why so many people like them. Just a mediocre metal band, nothing else. None of the songs caught my attention, just plain stuff.

Zone Zero - Boring. no real energy or anything like this. Nothing special at all. just a $1.99 record for me. No memorable riffs or anything. Might have been good live, might have been "kult", might have been metal, but the music's just mediocre.

Lord Weird Slough Feg - Can't understand the fuss about this one. Propagandized as the most true metal band ever, that would never sell out and will keep the metal spirit going and whatever else. OK, but their music's boring and annoyingly weird. I don't like it and don't understand it.

Many more that I don't remember right now have a place on that list. Once again, that's only my personal opinion and taste, not trying to make a point here or whatever. Just don't understand what the fuss is about so many of these underground and "kult" / true bands, because so much of them suck, and I think that's why many of them only stayed in the underground.

Oh and spelling cult with a "K" is stupid.

What do you think ?
TYRANT twese two british NWOBHM bands haven't heard!TYRANT(GER) is probably my favourite band!!!

GOTHAM CITY-I love the LP Unknown and the 7'' most.The other demos and BLACK WRITS are extremely good to my ears.Gotham City has all it for me classic heavy metal with very PRIMA sound guitars.GOTHAM CITY are for me the 3(?) best band from Sweden after Candlemass and Equinox Ov The Gods and that's saies a lot!The only band that reminds me of GC is ROSSOS that i find highly underrated!!

ZONE ZERO i have heard only the 7'' and i think it is a good band nothing top-rated about them though,nothing special for me too.There are better 7'' bands from Sweden like SCAMPS,WULCAN,HELS(those two compilation trax kick seriously ass),GRAVE,...and ROSSOS is the best of all of them!!!

SLOUGH FEG like i have said in another thread i find them very boring.I prefer old Brocas Helm if i want to hear such kind of riffs.Very,very overrated by the true metal cliques :evil:

also i would add another one and that i find boring
SACRED STEEL good music but the vocals destroy it all.I can't stand Gerrit's Mutz singing,it's simply not my kind.
Last edited by Fucking Åmål on Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dawnwatcher

Post by Dawnwatcher »

Every band on Boris' list are extremely good. Except Slough Feg, can't nothing but agree there. However I think it's time to get the Zone Zero rehearsal tape out. I'm not aware of any digital copy and I think it would raise them even higher. Easily one of the best recordings I have ever heard.

A band I really can't understand is Cirith Ungol. Just boring and uninteresting with weird elements. Never been been a fan of complicated music. What happened with the standard heavy metal? I can't see it in Cirith Ungol anyway, just a box full of music going round and round.
Help me, I know I'll be crucified for this.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

First of all I don't think any of the bands mentioned belongs in the "overrated due to rarity"-cliqué. There are far worse examples imo, like [insert US Metal top-rarity of choice here]. 2nd it's very clear that I have a very different taste than Boris.

TYRANT (Hold Back the Lightning) - This was actually the most surprising statement. Everything about the song is perfect! Few songs can pin down "Metal Perfection" so well as this one.

TYRANT (SotC) - Cannot possibly be considered overrated since very few people seem to rave about them. Personally I consider those 2 songs some of the finest examples of honest, bare-bones, ideas-before-performance Heavy Metal around.

GOTHAM CITY - I can have slight understanding if some people have a problem with Ola's vocals, but when it comes to mere songwriting they always were way ahead of the pack. The guitar harmonies in songs like "Black Writs" and "Mosters of Rock" and "Swords & Chains" should be evidence enough.

ZONE ZERO - "Win or Die", "Demon from kingdom of death", "Breaker of the chains"... This band had lots of great, classic Heavy Metal cuts, but there are even better bands to be found buried deep in the old Swedish underground.

SLOUGH FEG - Hands down the best "new" Metal band on the planet. No other band even come close really. Why? Coz they perfectly combine the classic, true Metal spirit with enough originality to elevate above the whole retro/old-school thing and beyond.
Mickelina wrote:A band I really can't understand is Cirith Ungol. Just boring and uninteresting with weird elements. Never been been a fan of complicated music. What happened with the standard heavy metal? I can't see it in Cirith Ungol anyway, just a box full of music going round and round.

Sounds like me 10-15 years ago. It took a loooong while and many tries for me to get into CU. Nowdays I can't belive how the hell I didn't fall for them instantly. I guess it's a healthy sign that my Metal taste keeps developing..
Last edited by DaN on Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Dawnwatcher wrote: A band I really can't understand is Cirith Ungol. Just boring and uninteresting with weird elements. Never been been a fan of complicated music. What happened with the standard heavy metal? I can't see it in Cirith Ungol anyway, just a box full of music going round and round.
Help me, I know I'll be crucified for this.
Everything's indeed a matter of taste after all. Yes, personally i cannot understand how someone could not like Cirith Ungol. It beyond my system of (metal) logic. I guess the same thing happens when you read that someone (like Boris and me) finds Gotham City an average band. There isn't (and never was and never will be) a golden rule that says: "Everyone should like these "1...2...3..." bands and shouldn't like these "1...2...3..."" Each one has its own character, his own feelings, his own experiences etc and all these things shape also his own taste. You can't agree with someone (and i don't mean someone completely stranger to you) all the time but since we are all members of the same 'community' we will find many issues that we will agree with each other. You can't hate them all but you also can't love them all.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

and I simply cant undestratand why people make a big fuzz about these:
Lord Weird Slough Feg. Twisted Tower Dire, Dantesco, Emerald, and few others. Also I dont like stuff which is very much praised like Dark Knight and Crystal Knight for example. Ok, perhaps I'm blind enogh to understand their high quality, but in my opinon are just regular bands, not much to be praised
Dawnwatcher

Post by Dawnwatcher »

DaN wrote:Sounds like me 10-15 years ago. It took a loooong while and many tries for me to get into CU. Nowdays I can't belive how the hell I didn't fall for them instantly. I guess it's a healthy sign that my Metal taste keeps developing..
Guess I'll keep trying then and hopefully I'll see their greatness in a few years. :D

ION BRITTON wrote:There isn't (and never was and never will be) a golden rule that says: "Everyone should like these "1...2...3..." bands and shouldn't like these "1...2...3..."" Each one has its own character, his own feelings, his own experiences etc and all these things shape also his own taste.
Can't agree more, although I can't lie and say that I don't get a little frustrated when people tells me I love a "standard" band, hehe. As you say, everyone will never like the same bands, but I am sure we all have a lot favourites in common.
boris

Post by boris »

DaN wrote:First of all I don't think any of the bands mentioned belongs in the "overrated due to rarity"-cliqué. There are far worse examples imo, like [insert US Metal top-rarity of choice here]. 2nd it's very clear that I have a very different taste than Boris.

TYRANT (Hold Back the Lightning) - This was actually the most surprising statement. Everything about the song is perfect! Few songs can pin down "Metal Perfection" so well as this one.

TYRANT (SotC) - Cannot possibly be considered overrated since very few people seem to rave about them. Personally I consider those 2 songs some of the finest examples of honest, bare-bones, ideas-before-performance Heavy Metal around.

GOTHAM CITY - I can have slight understanding if some people have a problem with Ola's vocals, but when it comes to mere songwriting they always were way ahead of the pack. The guitar harmonies in songs like "Black Writs" and "Mosters of Rock" and "Swords & Chains" should be evidence enough.

ZONE ZERO - "Win or Die", "Demon from kingdom of death", "Breaker of the chains"... This band had lots of great, classic Heavy Metal cuts, but there are even better bands to be found buried deep in the old Swedish underground.

SLOUGH FEG - Hands down the best "new" Metal band on the planet. No other band even come close really. Why? Coz they perfectly combine the classic, true Metal spirit with enough originality to elevate above the whole retro/old-school thing and beyond.
Mickelina wrote:A band I really can't understand is Cirith Ungol. Just boring and uninteresting with weird elements. Never been been a fan of complicated music. What happened with the standard heavy metal? I can't see it in Cirith Ungol anyway, just a box full of music going round and round.

Sounds like me 10-15 years ago. It took a loooong while and many tries for me to get into CU. Nowdays I can't belive how the hell I didn't fall for them instantly. I guess it's a healthy sign that my Metal taste keeps developing..
Dan, being overrated due to rarity was just an example of a phenomenon going on among metal "fans". Among these records, I think Tyrant (Hold Back ...) is the only one that might fit the category. You're right about the US metal bands though, lots of over priced crap.

The Tyrant from the compilation LP, I've heard some people raving about it, and really, really couldn't understand why, so I had to include it.

It seems I'm not alone here with my oppinion about Slough Feg, cool to see some people thinking the same way I do. I just get the feeling they are too propagandized, and I hate stuff being a subject of propaganda, that's annoying. All these people raving about this bands image, spirit and whatever else, sometimes even forgetting to talk about the music, which for me is average and boring, and I don't care for anything else. Dan for example likes them, which is awesome, but I think that he likes them because he digs the music, and not solely because of the image or message they have, or are considered to have. That's the way it should be.
Just hope you get the point I'm trying to show here.

Regarding Cirith Ungol, I like them. To be honest a friend once gave me his CD of their last album, and that's the only one I had until I bought another one which I didn't listen to yet. I mostly liked it for the songs 'Fallen Idols' and '--another one which's title I forgot--'.

Someone here mentioned scratching old wounds. Well all I wanted is the friendliest discussion possible, bearing in mind that everyones entitled to his own opinion. Were quite a lot of people from all over the world here, so having slightly different tastes is quite understandable.

Oh and I'm sure a lot of stuff I like is considered crap by many people here, as well as I am sure many of us have common favorites.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I am glad I do not share the opinion of Boris because I would be missing out on some of the best albums and songs ever recorded, especially The Lord Weird Slough Feg and Tyrant (UK). But having read quite a few of your opinions here and on Miskatonic I am not surprised in the least in these opinions.
boris

Post by boris »

I actually try to listen to this stuff from time to time, but I just don't dig it. Get bored and stop in the middle usually.

Didn't like Solar Eagle at first listen, but second round proved it to be quite a nice record, same for the demo. Nothing to pay more than $20 for though.