Funny Spellings

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
lynx

Funny Spellings

Post by lynx »

Where did it all come from? I'm not talking about umlauts, just band names spelled in a way that is not the normal way to spell those words.

For the 1960s I can think of Jimi Hendrix, the Byrds and the Monkees, there were quite a few bands in the 1970s, and in the 1980s it became common.

So the question is how it all relates to metal, I know of Axxe in the 1970s, but Slaughter Xstroyes probably doesn't matter much anymore as it's already common by then.
mega_lodon

Post by mega_lodon »

Those bands who used unique spellings in early days probably knew that someday people would invent things called “internet” and “search engine”.

Bands who used common names like Scanner probably failed to foresee that.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

It's mostly due to naming a band, then finding out another band already has that name. But not wanting to change to an entirely different name, they chose to slightly alter the name. When the 1980s arrived there were so many bands altering names became common practice to avoid changing to an altogether different one.
lynx

Post by lynx »

Although I was kind of hoping for more examples. I don't think it's true that it was all to avoid similar band names, as people in the 1980s who liked Def Leppard usually also liked Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix (even if those who liked the latter two may not like the first), you get the point I hope.
GJ

Post by GJ »

Such as Jag Panzer (Jagd Panzer)?
Heavy

Post by Heavy »

In Zep's case the misspelling was to avoid mispronounciation... the logics behind other names could in some cases be because other bands with same name already existed, but mostly i guess it was a gimmick used to draw more attention, make bands more recognizable.

As you mentioned some very popular bands used this and it could be due to their popularity that the gimmick stuck with the rock and later metal genre... kood olsaw bee det therza hyooj prosent of ylyderat rokkas awt der,,,, :D
GJ

Post by GJ »

Nå vej! Vi nå haoto späll ålrajt.
Divine Victim

Post by Divine Victim »

Chozzen Phate must be one of the worst offenders here. Incidentally they were probably one of the fattest bands too.

great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

But DV, surely it's spelt "phat" :wink: ?

When it comes to spelling, Tröjan is always good for a laugh if you're among those who "get it". I always wondered what was up with "Phasslayne" too, and Mercyful Fate?
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Tröjan ("The sweater") is indeed a laugh for us Scandinavians. It would have been cool if Raven used an umlaut too, sadly they didn't.

Phyne Thanquz ("fine, thanks") is another weird one.
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

I have always laughed at Tröjan :lol:

Let me add the hair rock/metal band: Enuff Z'nuff (Enough is Enough)
Mainly because the chosen spelling had me reading their name as Enough Snuff (people who don't know what Snuff is, google it) in the beginning.
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Khnud wrote:Tröjan ("The sweater") is indeed a laugh for us Scandinavians. It would have been cool if Raven used an umlaut too, sadly they didn't.

"FjällRäven" would have been nice.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
GJ

Post by GJ »

great_knuthulhu wrote:
Khnud wrote:Tröjan ("The sweater") is indeed a laugh for us Scandinavians. It would have been cool if Raven used an umlaut too, sadly they didn't.

"FjällRäven" would have been nice.
:D But I'm pretty sure there already are a few Malaysian Black Metal scandophiliacs using that moniker already.
lynx

Post by lynx »

What about "Kånken"? :lol:
GJ

Post by GJ »

:D I've got a black Kånken. Perfect for carrying LPs in at record fairs etc.