Grim Reaper Verdict?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Divine Victim

Grim Reaper Verdict?

Post by Divine Victim »

Where do you lot stand on Grim Reaper?

Steve Grimmett has clearly got some potent pipes, and they have a few anthemic numbers, but overall they just grate on me - I have See You In Hell and Fear No Evil, but I can never listen through the whole records because their songwriting is so bland and repetitive, the lyrics suck, and there are hardly any good riffs. Every song is basically one big build up to an over-used chorus. Totally second rate band.

Is this just me or would others give them the thumbs down too?
DaN
Administructor

Re: Grim Reaper Verdict?

Post by DaN »

Divine Victim wrote:Where do you lot stand on Grim Reaper?

Steve Grimmett has clearly got some potent pipes, and they have a few anthemic numbers, but overall they just grate on me - I have See You In Hell and Fear No Evil, but I can never listen through the whole records because their songwriting is so bland and repetitive, the lyrics suck, and there are hardly any good riffs. Every song is basically one big build up to an over-used chorus. Totally second rate band.

Is this just me or would others give them the thumbs down too?
To put it short: I totally agree.

"Rock You To Hell" is a slightly different affair though - not great either, but it's a decent 80's HardRockMetalAlbum with a slightly more developed sound and NOT your typical 3rd-album-failure. Was that a recommendation? I dunno.. probably not.
DeathStrike Kömmander

Post by DeathStrike Kömmander »

Damn!, for me, is a great band, if not the best example of NWOBHM / Heavy Metal, the three albums are above average and I really enjoy them!!!!
Marken

Post by Marken »

Some good songs, but I mostly find them quite boring.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

1st album is great (title track, Liar, Wrath or the ripper, All hell let loose etc), it's second one that I find really boring, it basically tries to follow the recipe of the debut but without success. 3rd one is more melodic/commercial, not bad for what it is, but not for me.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
mordred

Post by mordred »

I can stand Rock You to Hell.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

"Rokc you to hell is the only album of theirs I have heard but I like it a lot. Catchy, melodic but still not overtly commercial.
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

The first one is cool for a couple of great songs. I never checked the other albums.
"We do what we do, and we put it out, if you want to buy it, buy it.
if you dont, fuck off." -Lemmy Kilmister

http://www.myspace.com/blackhammerftw
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

I love the first demo and album. He can't get anywhere near those notes these days but he's still a good singer.
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

The OP is for the most part spot on. I've got the records, but I don't listen to them anymore. Grimmett's singing is a redeeming feature, but it's just not enough for me.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

"See you in Hell" is the only GR album I still listen to from times to times.
The other albums are so uninspired and boring.
Sammi Curr

Post by Sammi Curr »

Rock You To Hell! One of my all time favorites, each song stands out (Title Track, Night of the Vampire, Lust for Freedom!!, I Want More <beautiful singing!> and You'll Wish you were Never Born).

See You in Hell and Fear No Evil are fun, but yeah, retardedly repetitious.
GJ

Post by GJ »

Grimmett sure knows how to sing, but I don't like his voice (or is it the songwriting?). Nice sleeves on the first two though...
Vaggelis

Post by Vaggelis »

The first ''See You In Hell''LP is great!The next two releases i think i like the same title tracks.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

great band for partying,but on a wider scope nothing special compare to tons of other european bands of the time, Steve´s voice is top notch on the other side

why is then so much noise about this band rather than other NWoBHM bands? because of their videoclips maybe?