Grim Reaper Verdict?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Cauldron_Born

Post by Cauldron_Born »

I am a big fan of the debut, and enjoyed "Fear No Evil" and "Rock You To Hell" as well. They were Spinal Tappish, but a fun band. Steve Grimmett was one of my favorite singers who was around at that time. The albums did get progressively weaker with each release,though.

As a side note, does anyone here have a good recording of that Headbangers Ball Halloween concert with Grim Reaper, Armored Saint and Helloween? If so,please private message me.I think it was shown on MTV in 1986. Thanks.

Howie
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

Call me a sentimental fool, but Grim Reaper and Tokyo Blade were among the first NWOBHM i listened to (back in 1984-1985) and they are still among my favorite bands.
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

chatzial wrote:Call me a sentimental fool, but Grim Reaper and Tokyo Blade were among the first NWOBHM i listened to (back in 1984-1985) and they are still among my favorite bands.
It's never foolish to like something partly for sentimental reasons. I'd guess we all do if we are honest with ourselves, especially when we get older :wink:

I still care about albums like ATC's Cut in ice or TNT(Norwegian one)'s debut. Probably nostalgia plays a huge part in that - I was in my early teens when those came out and very impressionable.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

I like the debut a lot, then it gradually gets worse from album to album.
Fear No Evil still has it's moments even though it ain't as great as See You In Hell, Rock You To Hell is ok but nothing more.
Cauldron_Born

Post by Cauldron_Born »

I am a huge fan of the first two Venom albums. Musically, Grim Reaper and Venom are quite different, but in my mind, they sort of fall into the same category as fun Heavy Metal bands. I always thought of Venom as what a band like Motley Crue should have been if they weren't so obviously lame. It was hard for British bands like those(Venom, Grim Reaper) not to get it right back then.
Dark Stranger

Post by Dark Stranger »

Cauldron_Born wrote:I am a big fan of the debut, and enjoyed "Fear No Evil" and "Rock You To Hell" as well. They were Spinal Tappish, but a fun band. Steve Grimmett was one of my favorite singers who was around at that time. The albums did get progressively weaker with each release,though.

As a side note, does anyone here have a good recording of that Headbangers Ball Halloween concert with Grim Reaper, Armored Saint and Helloween? If so,please private message me.I think it was shown on MTV in 1986. Thanks.

Howie
Can't remember where I found it Howie, but there's a decent version available online - the crowd go absolutely nuts for them throughout. Try the usual searches.