Albanian metal - A brief history

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Soviet metal is the best! :twisted:
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Thanx for the clearing-outs, Ion. 'tis been very educational.

Am I right in understanding FYROM/Macedonia is still geographically the same area? I'm thinking in the upcoming page I'll at least add a note recognizing this dispute (perhaps with a wiki link) and be very clear that the "Macedonia"-name is used merely as a geographical reference, with no intentions to take sides on the background politics. I wanna start working on the page asap and be sure these issues can be solved - civilly ...and of course I also wanna avoid future, angry emails from random site visitors in the process.

@jnfernal:
If your other "Exotic Metal" articles hold this high standard I can guarantee them a steady home at The Corroseum website! Hope this will boost your motivation, coz I'm really looking forward to read them :)

@Fucking Vaggelis:
An old idea I had for the site was to do an encyclopedia/list of short reveiws on Olde CCCP Tape Albums, but I've put that one on hold for the moment. Once me & Keir start running short on comps to write about, I DO have an idea for the Next Big Corro-Project and I'm sure it will be right up your alley 8)
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

DaN wrote:Thanx for the clearing-outs, Ion. 'tis been very educational.

Am I right in understanding FYROM/Macedonia is still geographically the same area?

No, FYROM lies geographically in North Macedonia. Main part of Macedonia is a very big part of Greece. So i hope you understand that you can't just call it Macedonia.

I don't understand what is your problem using the name FYROM. Most countries use it officially.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

chatzial wrote:

Am I right in understanding FYROM/Macedonia is still geographically the same area?

No, FYROM lies geographically in North Macedonia. Main part of Macedonia is a very big part of Greece. So i hope you understand that you can't just call it Macedonia.

I don't understand what is your problem using the name FYROM. Most countries use it officially.
I don't have a problem with using the FYROM name - I'm just ignorant but willing to learn. Thanx for pointing out the geographical error - I'll read up some more on the subject and hopefully we can figure out some sort of explainatory footnote without making an essay about it. After all the article is about music/Metal history in a certain area and not its border disputes.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

At least I got a Darkthrone earworm from the thread title.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
hload

Post by hload »

Am I right in understanding FYROM/Macedonia is still geographically the same area? I'm thinking in the upcoming page I'll at least add a note recognizing this dispute (perhaps with a wiki link) and be very clear that the "Macedonia"-name is used merely as a geographical reference, with no intentions to take sides on the background politics. I wanna start working on the page asap and be sure these issues can be solved - civilly ...and of course I also wanna avoid future, angry emails from random site visitors in the process.

@jnfernal:
If your other "Exotic Metal" articles hold this high standard I can guarantee them a steady home at The Corroseum website! Hope this will boost your motivation, coz I'm really looking forward to read them :)

@Fucking Vaggelis:
An old idea I had for the site was to do an encyclopedia/list of short reveiws on Olde CCCP Tape Albums, but I've put that one on hold for the moment. Once me & Keir start running short on comps to write about, I DO have an idea for the Next Big Corro-Project and I'm sure it will be right up your alley 8)

I d'kill for an old soviet tapes corro compo, Maybe a vinyl bootleg also? With Yuri Gagarin (my personal hero) on cover? Krizis' anthem must be on!
Восток-2 for title.
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

Hello

Well, I am already working on some other geographic areas. As I told you I started gathering information+songs+info about Caribbean Area (Dominican Republic, Cuba, Haiti, Jamaica, Puerto Rico) and Central America (Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Panama) as well as Caucasian Republic (Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan) and Central Asian Republic (Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kirghizistan, Tagikistan, Turkmenistan, including Mongolia also) as well as regional scenes such as Malta, Romania, Uruguay/Paraguay, Nepal and Thailand/Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia/Burma/Bangladesh.

I already compiled discographies, biograhpies, information, dig up totally unknown bands and found some rare recordings and listed some other recordings that are 100% proven to exist. Of course all this material will be included with links once I complete and finish my essays/reportages/whatever they can be....but in this moment I can't do much because of my move to London+summer job in Italy (working in the night is pretty annoying as the whole day is completely fucked up)

The problem is that I am moving to London tomorrow (well actually this evening I am already living home) and I won't be back to Italy until next half June, then I have to start a night job at the newspaper pressing plant...so I will slow a bit.

On October - if everything goes well - I am planning a trip to Cambodia+Thailand+Bangladesh and I'll search for information, recordings and people (I added Bangladesh to my trip just because I want to find more copies of Warfaze, Rockstrata, In Dhaka and Aces CD's).....actually Nepal, Cambodia and Burma has almost nothing historical while heavy metal/hard rock scene in Bangladesh was born already in 1984 with bands as Warfaze, Rockstrata, In Dhaka, Aces, Maestro Trilogy, Sweet Venom, After Death, Phantom Lord, Rock Brigade, Poached Boogie...the problem is that except 3-4 of them none of the others left traces, not even some shitty bootleg recordings according to my contacts overthere) ... just to make an example...but, yes, my idea is to work on such "minor" areas to exhume old and forgotten bands/names/recordings.

As for countries like Cuba, Honduras, Dominican Republic there are already some written essays about the beginning/developping of hard rock/metal scene but they do not list every band or every recording: I am pretty confident that - integrating such articles with other sources - I can list every band and every recording existing from those countries not leaving out nor forgetting any name! I am a pretty good point but it takes time and in this moment time is something that I really lack of...

Until I am in London I can't work on such stuff because I won't bring my PC there... :S

As for Russia/Ex soviet unions I have HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS or demos, tapes, magnitoalbums, live and videos and in the last 4-5 years I studied pretty carefully that particular scene...I can provide with materials, pictures and infos but not before june/july...but, yes, it would be nice to scan deeper that area

We'll see...actually a reportage about Honduras is already pretty completed...if I feel it's almost compiled in every detail I can send it to the forum...I'll check later and let you know if it can be immediately used or need some more addings.
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

Mmm..I had a pretty in-deep article about Honduras and Dominican Republic...it was not completed in biograhpies and few other details but was comprehensive of every band+recordings.

I sent it to the Strappado blogspot but it hasn't been published. Unfortunately I can't find on my pc, I'll check on my father's pc if there's a copy. Otherwise I shall ask Strappado to send me back a copy of that article. It included also rare and exclusive recordings of bands as Empiphis, Fuzz, Abaddon, Ekinoxio, Fobia, Hekaton, Nexus (all from Dominican Republic) and Delirium Tremens and Trauma from Honduras and Revell (Rebel? Revel?) from El Salvador....

hope they still have a copy of that article because with some minor additions it could be ready for publishing...
vasilis2112

Post by vasilis2112 »

Σε Ελλαδα, Τουρκια, Μακεδονια, ο εχθρος ειναι στις τραπεζες και στα υπουργεια!!!
In Greece, Turkey, Macedonia, the enemy is the banks and ministries!

In the US there are 19 cities called athens, I never saw anybody complain! I think that even in Turkey there is a city called athens!!!

What is the difference between former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and Republic of Macedonia, since Yugoslav no longer exists? It is like telling that Greece should be called former othomanic republic of Unanistan!!!!

Hahaha!

solidarity to our macedonian brothers!!!
hload

Post by hload »

vasilis2112 wrote:Σε Ελλαδα, Τουρκια, Μακεδονια, ο εχθρος ειναι στις τραπεζες και στα υπουργεια!!!
In Greece, Turkey, Macedonia, the enemy is the banks and ministries!

In the US there are 19 cities called athens, I never saw anybody complain! I think that even in Turkey there is a city called athens!!!

What is the difference between former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and Republic of Macedonia, since Yugoslav no longer exists? It is like telling that Greece should be called former othomanic republic of Unanistan!!!!

Hahaha!

You forgot to mention the Sparta ones. Actually an obscure power metal demo was released in one of them, Sparta Illinois, with the drummer from A'meret. Can't recall their name at the moment.

solidarity to our macedonian brothers!!!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

The appellation "former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia" was purely a provisional term to be used only until the dispute was resolved
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

Did Alexander the Great come from Macedonia or "FYROM" by the way?

Until this question has been properly investigated in another 3-4 pages of this thread I suggest we leave the Macedonia/FYROM issue. Any forum policies regarding this issue are totally unnecessary. Let Greeks call the country "FYROM" if they want, but please don't force your self-invented "rules" upon others. Had this thread been moderated by a guy from Skopje we all know what he would call his country of origin... :wink:

Let's now return to the issue of Albanian Metal.
Fun records
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Metalipeiklo wrote: Let Greeks call the country "FYROM" if they want, but please don't force your self-invented "rules" upon others.
Who are referring to?

Btw, this thread is co-moderated by a guy from Greece and it hasn't been edited at all.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
GJ

Post by GJ »

I thought the term "Albanian" was refering to Scottish Metal acts only but after reading this articleI found it could also be about British Metal as a whole.
Vaggelis

Post by Vaggelis »

hload wrote: I d'kill for an old soviet tapes corro compo, Maybe a vinyl bootleg also? With Yuri Gagarin (my personal hero) on cover? Krizis' anthem must be on!
Восток-2 for title.
KRIZIS isn't Russian it's Ukrainian band.This band came from East Ukraine.Great Heavy Metal though. 8)