Sharing Rare Records

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Eskew Reeder

Post by Eskew Reeder »

daniel wrote:With all due respect they are there in my posts, and some are more opinions that I wonder why you are SO opposed to.
Honestly...I didn't see any specific questions.

Why do we have opposing views....simple.....I'm the one going out and putting in the time/effort/money and you're not....pretty easy to understand why we would have differing opinions.

I think that music, like everything else in life, should not be given away for free and you disagree.

I think that people who pay money for a record should be able to decide whether to share it with strangers or not without being labeled a selfish asshole.

Anything else??
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Yeah, sorry but the whiner accusation came first, so I could say that somebody can ask for an upload without being labeled as a whiner, and if you don't like to be called a selfish asshole don't act like one. If the shoe fits...
And about the whole "rights to distribute" thing, you would rather keep an album from being listened by those interested than sharing it all of it because of "legal rights"? I could see that if it's an active band or there's a recent reissue but with old forgotten bands who might not even have valid copyright? What's the point of that? It's not like the band is getting 1 buck of out the thousand you pay unless you're buying straight from a bandmember. You should also stay away from buying second handed items since the band doesn't make a profit out of it either and the guy who sells you the record probably doesn't have the right to distribute their material either yet he's making a lot of money out of it.
And about you being the one putting time/effort/and money and the rest not, give me a fucking break. Everybody here hunts records (I do it with old movies on VHS too), buys stuff and also puts a lot of effort on what they do so you're absolutely wrong about what you're assuming, specially with daniel who has shared quite a few rare records of his own collection that weren't available on line before he did so.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I, too, have some made some thoughts on the issue, but I don't know if I should post them in public for free.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

I can pay you for the time it took you to sort your thoughts out.I can also pay for your round trip if you fetch me a rare record.
Never trust the Goblin King....
Eskew Reeder

Post by Eskew Reeder »

Cochino wrote:Yeah, sorry but the whiner accusation came first, so I could say that somebody can ask for an upload without being labeled as a whiner, and if you don't like to be called a selfish asshole don't act like one. If the shoe fits...
And about the whole "rights to distribute" thing, you would rather keep an album from being listened by those interested than sharing it all of it because of "legal rights"? I could see that if it's an active band or there's a recent reissue but with old forgotten bands who might not even have valid copyright? What's the point of that? It's not like the band is getting 1 buck of out the thousand you pay unless you're buying straight from a bandmember. You should also stay away from buying second handed items since the band doesn't make a profit out of it either and the guy who sells you the record probably doesn't have the right to distribute their material either yet he's making a lot of money out of it.
And about you being the one putting time/effort/and money and the rest not, give me a fucking break. Everybody here hunts records (I do it with old movies on VHS too), buys stuff and also puts a lot of effort on what they do so you're absolutely wrong about what you're assuming, specially with daniel who has shared quite a few rare records of his own collection that weren't available on line before he did so.
We obviously will never agree......there is a big difference between selling a record that was originally bought and paid for back in the day and duplicating and distributing music in mass quantity you don't own the rights to.

I am not keeping anyone from hearing anything, I'm just not facilitating the distribution...anyone can go out and find a copy of the LP, buy it, and do with it as they please.

People who send notes insinuating that if you don't make a copy of something for them the LP is either bad or fake is an obnoxious whiner.

I will never be allowed to move to Gum Drop Island.

And at the end of the day what we are talking about here is getting something for nothing....best of luck with that.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Well, hopefully you payed for everything you own. I hope you never downloaded anything or xeroxed a book or anything like that, and if you have kids, let's hope they don't download stuff either 'cause you wouldn't like to be the father of a bunch of whiners, right? Actually, I guess we should start charging for logging in and reading this forum. Except for us mods of course, 'cause we do a lot of hard work reading, editing and merging threads.

Oh, and to make things clear. You're saying that's stupid to pay for something and then share it for free but it's ok to pay for something and charge a much larger amount for it?
Eskew Reeder

Post by Eskew Reeder »

Cochino wrote:Well, hopefully you payed for everything you own. I hope you never downloaded anything or xeroxed a book or anything like that, and if you have kids, let's hope they don't download stuff either 'cause you wouldn't like to be the father of a bunch of whiners, right? Actually, I guess we should start charging for logging in and reading this forum. Except for us mods of course, 'cause we do a lot of hard work reading, editing and merging threads.

Oh, and to make things clear. You're saying that's stupid to pay for something and then share it for free but it's ok to pay for something and charge a much larger amount for it?
I pay for everything I own other than gifts that were given me.

I appreciate all gifts and never call anyone a selfish asshole for not giving me a gift.

When my two kids whine and act like entitled brats I call them obnoxious whiners.

And to make things clear...I'm saying if I purchase an item like a record and am the outright legal owner of said item it's perfectly ok for me to sell it for any amount someone is willing to pay me for it....even if it's a gazillion dollars.

I don't believe I've ever stated or insinuated that it is stupid to pay for something as you suggest.....after all I'm a capitalist and that is what we do...buy and sell stuff.
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Dudes, this is a labyrinth. 10 pages of this Thread already...and nobody moves a step back from his position...
And you know what ?
Both sides are right !!!
The owner non-sharer should be respected his position.
The owner sharer equally the same.
Eskew Reeder

Post by Eskew Reeder »

rumblefist wrote: The owner non-sharer should be respected his position.
^^^WE HAVE A WINNER^^^
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Yeah, it's nice when people who start judging and calling names get all offended when they get called something in return.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Rockadelic wrote:
rumblefist wrote: The owner non-sharer should be respected his position.
^^^WE HAVE A WINNER^^^
the end :D

and guys, dont get offended if you dont get a free and rare zipped mp3 EP for reading the whole thread,seriously
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Yeah, it's great to see how everything's ok when someone's talking shit about anybody who downloads stuff but as soon as somebody says something different the "let's agree to disagree" posts start appearing. This despite the fact that many users here are active downloaders and uploaders and probably every single one of them has downloaded a few mp3s at some point (I've met several anti-mp3 people with quite a large amount of music on their PCs). I usually avoid online discussions 'cause they're pretty much worthless but sometimes I get pissed off.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Well, there was even a insulting comment about 'broken english'...5 years in this forum and I can't recall anyone insulting someone about his english...this thing alone personally tells me a lot
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Hold on.

I was the only one directly called an Asshole. Because I have records that are not on the web, I have time and the ability to upload them and I just choose not to.

I didn't see anyone else in this thread singled out directly like that or did I miss it?
"I am NOT a collector"
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Glockose, that's not the way it went
glockose wrote:
Cochino wrote:
Khnud wrote:Somehow I feel glockose's post was directed at me?
Don't worry, I think it was directed to me. And glockose, I don't think you're an asshole. You even gave records away for free and to me that shows that you're not a selfish person at all so I don't think you should feel affected by what I said in any way.
Well I do not post stuff for you to download, I have tons of stuff that is not on the web, I can do it but just choose not to.

Isn't that what you called an Asshole?
The one I called an asshole directly was Rockadelic
Rockadelic wrote: I have the time....the ability and the know how.

But....

I'M NOT YOUR HEAVY METAL SANTA CLAUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's an asshole to me.