Bands That Ruled! ...& Then Sucked!!!

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Korgüll

Bands That Ruled! ...& Then Sucked!!!

Post by Korgüll »

Apart from the obvious SLAYER, METALLICA etc... the others I can think of that released great albums & then lost the plot are: HEXX (well not really, but not great), SABBAT (UK - let's face it 'Mourning Has Broken' was not good), E-X-E (terrible image change), CELTIC FROST (Cherry Orchards=blurrrrrrrgh :() , DESTRUCTION (Cracked Brain - 'nuff said!)

...anyone got any other examples of bands that released 'mind-blowing' debut albums (or even follow-up albums) & then released an abominaton 3rd album or changed image, style... went gay etc...???

Don't be too critical & say Venom, Black Sabbath or Voivod (yes they've all had their share of so-so albums) but bands that released really great debuts then a real stinker or two...?
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

HEXX was SUPER and turned to shit.

Iced Earth: Great start, shameful ending.

Overkill: GODLIKE first album, the second and third are also great and then BAM, nothing

Kreator: see Overkill, with Pleasure to kill as the best they ever did

well and tons more...
Long Live The Loud !!!
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

KORROZIA METALLA (up to Orden Satani, afterwards tasteless punk crap)
KAT (some really uninteresting stuff after "Oddech...")
TURBO (when they turned thrash)
SLAYER (not so fun anymore)

Edit: totally mixed up KAT and TURBO's titles.
Last edited by Metalipeiklo on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fun records
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

ANTHRAX !!! After a killer first album "Fistfull of Metal", they've changed singer and engage the crappy Belladonna and decided to turn into the gayest-metal-band ever (with HELLOWEEN) !!!

+ many more (MEGADETH, ONSLAUGHT, OVERKILL, EXODUS, ....)
OmenOfSteel
Location: fucking non white worthless left wing dick sucking scum bag

Post by OmenOfSteel »

Blind Guardian - "Imagination" was the last one worth a listen

Metal Church - "Hanging in the Balance" was already weak, everything later total crap

I agree with THE SENTINEL on Iced Earth and Overkill.

Kreator had their best time end of 80ies, from "Terrible Certainty" until "Coma of Souls".

The best HEXX record is "Quest for Sanity", great Thrash! I like this MLP more than their first 2 albums. But "Watery Graves" and even more "Morbid Reality" suck...

Dark Tranquillity's first 3 albums are the BEST Metal released in the 90ies. And suddenly after "The Minds I" they went horribly gay

I think I could go on forever. It would be a way shorter list if you'd asked for bands that did NOT suck after the first few albums :wink:
We praise the blood that metal brings
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

BRIDE (2 first), OLIVER MAGNUM & HADES (USA/great stuff on their 7'', the LPs/CDs sucked badly), can't think of any others at the moment.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

OmenOfSteel wrote:Dark Tranquillity's first 3 albums are the BEST Metal released in the 90ies. And suddenly after "The Minds I" they went horribly gay
Yeah good call! 'The Gallery' was great!
OmenOfSteel wrote:I think I could go on forever. It would be a way shorter list if you'd asked for bands that did NOT suck after the first few albums :wink:
Sorry, didnt think about that! :) Was thinking more about the obscure, not as well known bands that did this, not so much the Overkill's Kreator's Megadeth's etc... we all know this! :lol: :wink:
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

IRON MAIDEN, MANOWAR, are obvious examples.

Otherwise, I'd ssecond KORROZIA METALLA (except that the famous "Nicht Kapitulieren" tracks and its awesome (=very funny) live video you can see on YouTube).

If there weren't the two "Nordland" albums, I'd say BATHORY. I worship his early works, but "Octagon" and "Requiem" one simply suck. "Destroyer of wold" wasn't so great too, with only a handful of good tracks on it.
Gott ist tot.
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

Metalipeiklo wrote:KORROZIA METALLA (up to Orden Satani, afterwards tasteless punk crap)
SLAYER (not so fun anymore)
-signed-!!
Slayer were best at their Debut, the Haunting... and Live Undead MLP, up to Seasons... they were still upper class, but it was not the unique athmophere created in the early days anymore - in my opinion. Just listen to the first almighty three --- Evil has no boundaries, The Antichrist and Die By the Sword!!!!
Manowar are best example from a great, inspirating band turning to shit. The new album Gods of War is a very very shameful record, even more than Warriors of the World.
Sarcofago were also best at INRI, Rotting and Laws of Scourge were also pretty good but the last was crap. If there is a plan to reunion, I hope they will do better in the next.
Mayhem is also a famous example, first MLP was fine and indeed cult, the famous De Mysteriis was not my cup of tea (the vocals!) but musicially perfect...and after that - who cares!?!?

Arggh, there are so many bands to mention...too bad.

Bathory had their (or better his) climax at the late 80's with Hammerheart and Blood Fire Death...
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

Annathema
Bathory
Bulldozer (with "Trilogy")
Death SS
Ekhymosis
Entombed
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Kreator (with "Endorama")
Manowar
Master`s Hammer
Mayhem
Queensryche
Slayer
Tormentor
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Just about every new (as in 90's and onward) release by those classic Thrash bands bores me beyond belief. I guess it's mainly due to personal taste, since I tend to be more picky with Thrash than classic Metal.

This issue as a whole is just to big to start an endless list of bands who've made asses of themselves. My motto has since long been: Albums are immortal - bands are not.

"Artists" are for the most part a shady bunch that simply can't be trusted :evil:
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

DaN wrote:
Albums are immortal - bands are not.
Damn right !!!
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

DaN wrote:Just about every new (as in 90's and onward) release by those classic Thrash bands bores me beyond belief. I guess it's mainly due to personal taste, since I tend to be more picky with Thrash than classic Metal.
Yes, exactly! I got the new Onslaught & I may as well be listening to Machine Head or some metalcore band... it's bad! :(
DaN wrote:Albums are immortal - bands are not.
Excellent quote, I must remember this!
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Sarcasm, the new singer turned 'em into a total joke band.
Darkness - their last album was nowhere near the first two (and the remix of Faded Pictures totally sucks!)
Loudness - I haven't heard any of their new albums, but I saw them two years ago and they were mainly playing the new crap - horrible!
Suicidal Tendencies - the last album I've heard was Suicidal for Life, but their newer stuff is even more crappier as I've heard?
Annihilator - a mixed bag, Jeff had weak moments throughout the entire career (KotK, R, AfY), as well as he had good ones (first albums, Carnival...)
Anthrax - Anything with Bush !
Demolition Hammer - Time Bomb
Hobbs AOD - the second album was jus decent
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

The best example must be ANVIL. The first 3 albums are pure gold especially Metal on Metal and Forged in Fire. After that it's over :cry:
Long Live The Loud !!!