Underestimated German 80's Scene?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Khnud wrote:Yes, check out BRESLAU, the first German metal band to sing in German.
Thanks for the tip. I will definitely check out the band.
Khnud wrote:I'd like to add CARRIE to the list of underrated German bands. Probably the best female-fronted speed metal band.
Really? Better than even ACID? Gotta check out this one too
:)
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Helm

Post by Helm »

ION BRITTON wrote:Again what you're saying Helm is a matter of taste. "The one or two good songs" is what you think about those bands, others might feel otherwise. And be sure that it's not only FA that praises these bands that you (and i) find average. OK, no big deal if Brainfever are better than Vectom, but it's no big deal for you and me. Vectom may not be that high 3 you're saying for someone else and they might mean alot more things to others than they do to you and me and thus there might be something to wrote home about.
Sure someone might feel Vectom to be top10 material, I don't know, I find it really unlikely listening to them. See I mean, I can see how someone might feel Titan Force are top10 material, I can see the potential even if it's not my cup of tea ultimately. So there's opinions and opinions of course, but some are more far-fetched than others.
Numerical rankings themselves also becmoe contentious. What's the difference between a high 3 and a low 4? What even qualifies something as a high 3? On a 5-pt scale that looks OK, on a 10-pt scale it's rather low. not picking on Helm here, just pointing out how subjective numerical rankings really are.
I used a scale there just to express that a middle-class band being a bit better or worse than another middle-class band doesn't really make for a useful argument. I feel no mercy (NO MERCY! NO MERCY!) for the mediocre HM and I don't care personally if some of it is marginally better than the other half of it. Now Fucking Amal might like Vectom lots, and this thread shows there's others that like them *some*, but I don't see a lot of other people saying bands like Vectom are SUPER-AMAZING, BEST EVER etc. I'm just saying, if I were to support a national scene for some strange reason ('scenes' are a very un-metal thing) I'd go for the scene that has the super-amazing, best ever bands ever, not Vectom.

My condensed point I guess is this: it's all great finding obscure Heavy Metal that means something for us, but if we are to take a stand and say this band and that band destroy all the american bands or whatever, they better be the ones that we feel are absolutely *essential*. Otherwise it's a half-hearted argument and will only serve to anger those that love the bands that have been insulted by being compared to the likes of Vectom :P
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

You can add BABYLON to the list of bands singing in German, but they weren't any good...
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

The Erlking wrote:
Khnud wrote:I'd like to add CARRIE to the list of underrated German bands. Probably the best female-fronted speed metal band.
Acid were from Belgium.

Not Germany...
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
mordred

Post by mordred »

Avenger wrote:
The Erlking wrote:
Acid were from Belgium.

Not Germany...
Female fronted speed metal nonetheless.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Reading all the discussion about Vectom made me realize that there are some absulote average albums that I love for some reason. I don't mean that I think they're not average and they're great. I KNOW they're average and still like them for some reason. For example Viking "Do Or Die" and Savage Thrust "Eeat 'Em Raw". Does anybody else love some average albums? What do you think is the reason why you do? I can't tell, I just like to listen to those.
BlackStele

Post by BlackStele »

I can't fuckin believe this...I see a thread of 5 pages about GERMAN STEEL, without these names:

COURAGE,BLACK DIAMOND,METAL SWORD,CHROMING ROSE,STALIN,BATTLEFIELD,DARXON,BLOODY CLIMAX,HAMMERSCHMITT,SQUEALER,CARESS,VELVET VIPER,BLOODY MARY,EMBARGO,CROWS,MANDRAKE,
BLACK FATE,LIAR,AIRWOLF,MADAXEMAN,CACUMEN,MIDNIGHT DARKNESS,SDI,BLACK HAWK,TRANCE,BOOMERANG,PARADOX,WOLFS MOON,CASTLE WELL,OUTCAST,DESTILLERY,LIGEIA,
CALDERONE,MORTOX,ENERGY,NOT FRAGILE,CAPRICORN,SALEM'S LAW,WOLFS MOON,FLANEZ,PARAGON,CHINCHILLA,SCARLATYNA,ALYSON HELL,LANZER,CUSTARD,MONSTERS,SACRAFICE,STORMWIND,CUTTY SHARK,LETTER X,STORMWARRIOR,MANIA,MYDRA,STORMRIDER, ETC, ETC Ofcurse...

P.S.: Ok, some of these bands are not from the 80ies, but they carry the Spirit of the 80ies, and I think it's worth mentioning them here..
Last edited by BlackStele on Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black signs on my monitor, great bitching and fake words, Avenger is here, the craziest "modest" of all modsss...FTOU!!
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

mordred wrote:
Avenger wrote:
The Erlking wrote: Really? Better than even ACID? Gotta check out this one too
Acid were from Belgium.

Not Germany...
Female fronted speed metal nonetheless.
Exactly. Khnud said CARRIE is the best female-fronted speed metal band and I replied to that.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

BlackStele wrote:METAL SWORD, AIRWOLF
Well these were at least mentioned but thanks for the HUGE list of bands. There's bunch of new names for me. BTW I didn't mention S.D.I. myself because I thought it goes without sayng. Fucking great band :twisted:
BlackStele

Post by BlackStele »

HEY, did I mentioned DEEP THROAT, ADRIAN and NYTEMARE yet or not? Shame on me...! :twisted: :twisted:
Black signs on my monitor, great bitching and fake words, Avenger is here, the craziest "modest" of all modsss...FTOU!!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

BlackStele wrote:DEEP THROAT
Well a gold pentagram to you, missy! "The Devil In Miss Jones" is truly a great and underrated "European NWOBHM" gem bound to liven up all your Metal parties. Kaufe oder sterben!

A recent fave has to be SACRAFICE's "The First Experience.." MLP. Solid, classic Kraut-HM infused by INCREDIBLY raw & brutal vocals - Germany's very own Siki Spacek wielleicht? Mr. Ace Gee together with godly vocalists like Udo, Toto, Kermit is what makes German Metal so special.

With HOA drawing near we need to dicuss the brilliant BLACK HAWK as well. I'm sorry to say I still haven't heard their CD (opinions/reviews welcomed) but the "First Attack" MLP is as perfect as German Metal gets. Pretty much defines my image of the German Metal sound.

Btw, VECTOMS is one of the very few old HM acts I dare to call Pure Garbage. No redeeming values what so ever imho.

...and I guess I'd take this opportunity to point out that I finished the GAMA Rec discog a few days ago.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

BlackStele wrote:HAMMERSCHMITT
Is that full-length cover on metal-archives the real one? :lol:
BlackStele

Post by BlackStele »

Black Axe wrote:
BlackStele wrote:HAMMERSCHMITT
Is that full-length cover on metal-archives the real one? :lol:
:lol: :lol: YES DEAR! Maybe we should post it on the thread bout the cult and the worst---crappy cover---awesome music! :wink:
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

The Erlking wrote:BTW did any german band sang in their native language? I'm sure there was at least one.
The most East German old bands sing in German.You must listen FORMEL-1 the IRON MAIDEN of East Germany(they were the most well known band of E.Germany).
Khnud wrote:
I'd like to add CARRIE to the list of underrated German bands. Probably the best female-fronted speed metal band.
Surely a top band.But don't forget CARESS,BATTLEFIELD,XANDRIL especially the first two are my favourite Female fronted Metal bands.
DaN wrote:
BlackStele wrote:DEEP THROAT
Well a gold pentagram to you, missy! "The Devil In Miss Jones" is truly a great and underrated "European NWOBHM" gem bound to liven up all your Metal parties. Kaufe oder sterben!

A recent fave has to be SACRAFICE's "The First Experience.." MLP. Solid, classic Kraut-HM infused by INCREDIBLY raw & brutal vocals - Germany's very own Siki Spacek wielleicht? Mr. Ace Gee together with godly vocalists like Udo, Toto, Kermit is what makes German Metal so special.

With HOA drawing near we need to dicuss the brilliant BLACK HAWK as well. I'm sorry to say I still haven't heard their CD (opinions/reviews welcomed) but the "First Attack" MLP is as perfect as German Metal gets. Pretty much defines my image of the German Metal sound.

Btw, VECTOMS is one of the very few old HM acts I dare to call Pure Garbage. No redeeming values what so ever imho.

...and I guess I'd take this opportunity to point out that I finished the GAMA Rec discog a few days ago.
I haven't heard yet DEEP THROAT.

BLACK HAWK's best by far offering in my opinion is the 2006 Album Dragonride.Total 80's German sound.I know why you like ''First Attack'' so Dan.It is one of the very few German records that reminds of NWOBHM.

So Vectom pure garbage in the ears of Mordred and Dan...

SACRAFICE are very bad in my opinion.
BlackStele

Post by BlackStele »

ABRAXAS, EXISTENCE, RAVAGE and ASGARD are also four names that is mandatory to be mentioned here...omg, the list is endless...