Underestimated German 80's Scene?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

(sigh)
That's always the problem with calling bands 'overrated' or 'so-so' - the fans of said bands tend to read it as "THE FUCKERS SUCK POSER COCK IN HELL!!!!" which really wasn't what was said.

My point was, it's remarkable how many great German/West-Euro private pressings were made while there still were so many labels around ignoring them and instead released stuff that (in my own humble opinion) could have remained on the demo stage a while longer.

Anyways, who else but me find DARK WIZARD, especially their LP, highly underrated? That album is so fucking heavy and mean it's close to Doom Metal on plenty of songs. I'm trying to track down old members for an interview, but haven't got any response so far. Anyone have any tips?
acid

Post by acid »

DaN wrote:(sigh)
That's always the problem with calling bands 'overrated' or 'so-so' - the fans of said bands tend to read it as "THE FUCKERS SUCK POSER COCK IN HELL!!!!" which really wasn't what was said.

My point was, it's remarkable how many great German/West-Euro private pressings were made while there still were so many labels around ignoring them and instead released stuff that (in my own humble opinion) could have remained on the demo stage a while longer.

Anyways, who else but me find DARK WIZARD, especially their LP, highly underrated? That album is so fucking heavy and mean it's close to Doom Metal on plenty of songs. I'm trying to track down old members for an interview, but haven't got any response so far. Anyone have any tips?
I'll PM you soon with some info to contact DARK WIZARD.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

DaN wrote:(sigh)

You're almost right about the first issue Dan. Personally, i don't care if i disagree with someone about the music quality of Militia or Noisehunter, but i do care if someone tries to impose his opinion about "the greatness" of rare records or even if he tries to establish a particular condition about the price of such albums and that's when i get mad.

Concerning your second thought: Yes, many great albums were ignored in Europe but the same thing happened in the US as well and that was a problem of the people behind the labels and not of the fans. Isn't it a little bit weird that we (as fans) still discover and praise some forgotten albums of the 80's and wonder "what the fuck?only an EP? only a 7" from this band?why?". Nevertheless, i like it more the way it happened. I like the fact that some bands were born and died in the underground and didn't become the "fuckin' cool and rare" band that even your neighbour discovered in order to show off to his buddies and girlfriends. That would ruin the whole metal thing. It's more metal the way it happened. If all these obscure bands that we, 50-100 people (the numbers are not random), are talking about had become famous and had got what they really deserved, the world WOULD HAVE CHANGED. Please keep that in mind when you are (still) feaking out with all these hypocritical and pretentious situations (in and out of the metal circles) around you. I'm not trying to preach or anything like that, but this IS the fuckin' world in which we live in. Ok, i said enough.Stop.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

Also Vampyr " Cry out for Metal".
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

DaN wrote:AVENGER - "Prayers of Steel" is perfect Metal all the way! It's remarkable how bland theRAGE stuff sound next to this jewel.
I'm listening to this album at the moment and I have to agree to some degree. RAGE is more hit or miss to me as most of their stuff is just average to my ears - while this album has fairly memorable songs and metallic production. I wouldn't call this exactly perfect metal but it's classy stuff any how.. Now I know opinions are like assholes etc. but I find Ultra Boris's review on this one (at MA) kinda weird. This is far from the most forgottable german heavy metal and easily better than anything RAGE put out.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

I think none mentioned so far interesting acts like: Metalstorm, Wallup, Chainsaw, H bomb, Sortilege, Demon Eyes, Astaroth, Warhead, Drakkar, Stainless Steel and the whole East European Heavy Metal bands as names worth mentioning :x
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I listened Iron Angel: Hellish Crossfire 5 times in a row yesterday. That album is maybe my favorite German metal album and surely underrated as hell. You simply can't go wrong with it. I tend to forget about it when I haven't heard it for a long time, but when it's rotating on my turntable again, I just can't stand still. Those riffs and that overwhelming atmosphere just drive me crazy. Just an example op a perfect European album of the past.
Long Live The Loud !!!
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

have anyone noticed that german voices (mostly) sound a lil more harsh, and they tend to force the high pitched screams?

meanwhile (most of) swedish singers have a really clean and fine voice ?

im not saying this is a "rule" but have u noticed that?
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

When you're comparing second tier German bands like High Tension, Restless, Gravestone etc I know what you mean.
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Germany is by far my second favorite scene next to the US.

And for fuck sakes, Fucking Amal, this is a thread that only you would make...
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

People need to stop ganging up on him I like that he's so passionate about such an under appreciated scene, A lot of the bands may be pretty generic of sorts but it's still fun/even sometime brilliant to listen to them.

Don't know what my favourite scene would be too hard to pick in between England, USA and Germany.
"On your knees
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Avenger wrote:Germany is by far my second favorite scene next to the US.

And for fuck sakes, Fucking Amal, this is a thread that only you would make...
Haha.Actually German/Austrian Metal is only comparable to its primitiveness,roughness,pure heavy metal/speed/thrash,authenticity only with the Polish,Czech,Yugoslav scene.That's why i like them all. :wink: No high pitched vocals,no lyricism,no technicity just Beer and Heavy Metal.

Fuck the Supermarket is too far to buy more often.Beer is sorting out...quickly.
mordred wrote:The mighty STORMWITCH was the class act of Gama Records. The rest of their host I find somewhat lacklustre, though Gravestone was fairly entertaining... I have to agree with Dan on the Noisehunter matter, and actually releasing Vectom on vinyl and meaning it... Where is death penalty when it's justified?

Stormwitch is my favourite german 80's metal band together with obvious choices like Running Wild, Accept and Grave Digger (Heavy Metal Breakdown IS a masterpiece). Brainfever was quite good as well, and Tyran Pace, at least Long Live Metal.
NOISEHUNTER and VECTOM didn't deserved to be released on vynil?Huh.That's your opinion?Hear the ''Time To Fight'' and if you don't like a single song then just go and hear the happy US Metal ''Steel''.German Metal is not for you.

VECTOM needless to say blow almost every US Thrash/Speed band ever existed(except f.ex Slayer,Exodus,Dark Angel and some few).

BRAINFEVER is very overrated German band in my opinion since it is talked too much while ingoring too much other 80's German acts.Nothing exceptional to be found there just some average songs with shitty production
nothing more.

TYRAN PACE rules of course especially in the Long Live Metal album.Perfect Metal that Judas Priest should have wrote after the Defenders Of The Faith album.
The Sentinel wrote:I listened Iron Angel: Hellish Crossfire 5 times in a row yesterday. That album is maybe my favorite German metal album and surely underrated as hell. You simply can't go wrong with it. I tend to forget about it when I haven't heard it for a long time, but when it's rotating on my turntable again, I just can't stand still. Those riffs and that overwhelming atmosphere just drive me crazy. Just an example op a perfect European album of the past.
IRON ANGEL's Hellish Crossfire always considered the ultimate answer of Germany's to Polish KAT-666.I know you love KAT Sten so it's no wonder why you like IRON ANGEL.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

I just noticed I own way more Dutch and Belgian heavy metal albums(excluding thrash metal) than German ones. Anyone care to recommend me some of the heaviest German albums?
mordred

Post by mordred »

Fucking Åmål wrote:NOISEHUNTER and VECTOM didn't deserved to be released on vynil?Huh.That's your opinion?
Once again you didn't read closely enough or you simply didn't understand. What I said about Noisehunter was that I agreed with Dan - that they were a so-so band, ok to listen to but nothing the world couldn't have lived without and there surely must have been more interesting bands to release, both in Germany and elsewhere.
Fucking Åmål wrote:Hear the ''Time To Fight'' and if you don't like a single song then just go and hear the happy US Metal ''Steel''.German Metal is not for you.
I wouldn't pick "Time to Fight" as their best release, "Spell of Noise" is considerably better in my opinion. But you need to realize one thing here: Noisehunter = a very happy band. They are not heavy, not raw, not rough, they're quite happy. Most US metal bands aren't half as happy-go-lucky as Noisehunter. Look at bands like Cirith Ungol, Omen, Jag Panzer etc. They are much heavier and have much more agression than a band like Noisehunter, which sounds like a happy kindergarden band in comparison.
Fucking Åmål wrote:VECTOM needless to say blow almost every US Thrash/Speed band ever existed(except f.ex Slayer,Exodus,Dark Angel and some few).
VECTOM are simply shit. I have the "Speed Revolution" album and it's one of the worst albums I ever heard, everything included. Simply worthless, and I'm surprised to hear that someone actually listens to this useless crap willingly. Is there anyone else besides Fucking Åmål that finds Vectom listenable?
Fucking Åmål wrote:BRAINFEVER is very overrated German band in my opinion since it is talked too much while ingoring too much other 80's German acts.Nothing exceptional to be found there just some average songs with shitty production nothing more.
Maybe they aren't that special at the end of the day, but I must say that I think BRAINFEVER is a better band that most bands you usually rave about. They are better than Noisehunter I think. The song "Capture the Night" is a perfet metal hit and there's a bunch of other good songs on the first album as well. The second album is not as memorable but certainly as good as anything Noisehunter/Tyrant/Gravestone etc ever did.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

Can I have your Vectom album if it's on LP mordred? :P :wink:
"On your knees