Underestimated German 80's Scene?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DeathMetalWeenie

Post by DeathMetalWeenie »

Ha...I really thought that band Grave Digger, was going to have a bigger fanbase than they have nowadays...I really enjoy "Heavy Metal Breakdown" and "WitchKiller" even if the lyric writing left alot to be desired compared to what Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Exodus... was singing about back in 83-86.

I think the German scene went under-appreciated because I was mostly only looking at the artist on the Noise Records label, so I probably missed alot of awesome metal. I am sure others made the same mistake I did. Just only looking for the Noise International logo on records.
LethylSteel

Post by LethylSteel »

Does anyone know the Axework LP from 1984? Highly recommended for those into partly proggy NWOBHM. Really impressive stuff for a german band. Also the Jackpot"Full house" LP 1981 is unexpectedly raw und un-german sounding. Or Rampage"Victims of Rock" from 1981, all bands that noone ever talks about. :(
Live your life by your will, learn to be an animal ...
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

I have the AXEWORK LP, decent stuff, didn't find it too proggy though. RAMPAGE turns up from time to time, never heard it, might be a good idea to grab the next copy usually very cheap.

Have LIONS BREED been mentioned here? "Damn The Night" is a killer record, for me it sounds more like a dutch or belgian band, in a good way if you know what i mean. Very nice songs! Later knwon as SCANNER but with a more melodic sound, trying a bit too hard to become the next HELLOWEEN. Didn't work out anyway.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
Outcast

Post by Outcast »

MIDNIGHT DARKNESS was very interesting. Heavy stuff with some melancholic vibe. Not so impressive vocalist, though.