Underestimated German 80's Scene?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DMR

Post by DMR »

FuneralCircle wrote:especially with SATAN's Court in the Act being from 1983, which is better than anything the Germans ever did...
Bullshit!
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Restless, Restless and Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiild!!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

FuneralCircle wrote:especially with SATAN's Court in the Act being from 1983, which is better than anything the Germans ever did...
Great album, but I think you're exaggerating A BIT.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
hload

Post by hload »

Sgt. Kuntz wrote:
hload wrote:
Sgt. Kuntz wrote:I was listening to RAVAGE "Swords and Heroes" today, here are my thoughts of the day:

Another record that goes down to the "not bad, some good moments"-category, nothing really wrong with the songs or the production, but still, i think this record will heavily collect dust in the shelf with many others of that kind, who have a good chance to be nevery played again from me. They (RAVAGE) have a typical German singer, who could sound like your average postman or the plumber in your neighborhood, not like someone who is seriously predestinated to sing in a glorious metal band, you know? All the riffs are generic, nothing you haven't heard before and this is not the worst from here.

If you don't know RAVAGE, replace it with NOISEHUNTER, OUTSIDE, RAVE, TYRAN' PACE, METAL SWORD, TOX, SINNER, RESTLESS, RENEGADE, JACKIE WULF, you get the idea.

And even the better ones are not that special for me, that i feel a vital urge to go home and play them to death, CUTTY SARK, ADRIAN, AIRWOLF, LAZZER, CREATURE, HEADSTONE, CARESS, i like them, really, but i hardly ever play them.

So what do i want to say? Well, it's getin' frustrating, after years of rummaging through the underground, the only 80s metal bands from G. that i still listen to a lot are still the old favorits RUNNING WILD and STORMWITCH and maybe also ATTACK and MANIA. And "Child of Hell" from BLACK FATE (only that song, the rest...)

Does that sound familiar? If not so, blurt out the one band who could change that! Thanks.
imagine what will happen when you'll listen to the reaper 12"... :lol:
Better not...
Actually a rare case, where the band improved a lot from the first effort. The "Beyond All Time" album from 1990 turned out to be surprisingly good. And yeah, better not ask why i bought "Fairies Return" anyway, would be too damn hard to come up with a good reason, haha!

fairies was the only german album i ever traded in my life when they sent it to me :lol:. i prefer the years within more. i didn't listen to their latest album yet.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

The Erlking wrote:
Trigger wrote:This is supposed to unearth unknown German metal bands with good albums released,so I don't think any comparison among the scenes is appropriate.I mean when you say UK scene is better than the German one and the other way around,it doesn't mean that you don't like one scene or the other.Needless to compare anything I guess,no one said the best scene is the German,but we all have to admit that some bands here had a huge influence and defined/directed the subsequent releases all around metal music,no matter how mainstream they are or became,Running wild and Helloween being the first ones that that popped in my mind.
Also Accept I think. They took Judas Priest influences and turned them to something of their own.
Exactly!!!!Maybe the first ones that should have been mentioned,but all three bands pioneered in 3 different styles and had set the standards.
Never trust the Goblin King....
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Did someone mention RAILWAY yet? Their first album is full of ACCEPT-ish glory.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Khnud wrote:Did someone mention RAILWAY yet? Their first album is full of ACCEPT-ish glory.
I picked it up a while back on your recommendation and sure, good standard HM from the melodic end of Accept. Still sort of mid-league in my book.

Yesterday I checked out MASS - War Law for the first time. Supersimple Germaniac Metalrock but I really loved it. For what it is, it's perfect.
Q to anyone: How's the Metal Fighter LP? Will I dig that one too?

Edit: ..or any of their other albums?
FuneralCircle

Post by FuneralCircle »

ION BRITTON wrote:
Great album, but I think you're exaggerating A BIT.
Heh, no exaggeration on my part! :P
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Splinter was above average but pretty obscure having released only a couple of demo's. I think that they sound more American in my opnion though.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

DaN wrote:
Khnud wrote:Did someone mention RAILWAY yet? Their first album is full of ACCEPT-ish glory.
I picked it up a while back on your recommendation and sure, good standard HM from the melodic end of Accept. Still sort of mid-league in my book.

Yesterday I checked out MASS - War Law for the first time. Supersimple Germaniac Metalrock but I really loved it. For what it is, it's perfect.
Q to anyone: How's the Metal Fighter LP? Will I dig that one too?

Edit: ..or any of their other albums?
Difficult to say, I have 5 MASS albums but I haven't played for a long time. I'd rank them from average to bad, I don't remember which are OK. :oops:
I have uploaded one album in Poisonoise about a year ago.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Ha, it seems no less than 4 of their albums have been uploaded in poisonoise before, 3 of the links still being active. Downloading now...
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

Metal Fighter is the best Mass album.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Abyss wrote:Metal Fighter is the best Mass album.
Cheers for the tip, Ryan. Just found a blogspot download.
mustardgasattack

Post by mustardgasattack »

I would like to state that i have gotten blackout drunk listening to the 2nd Railway LP many times. Commercial? Yes. Cheesy? Yes. Who cares......."Lick It, Stick It" is sleazy and fun!!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

mustardgasattack wrote:I would like to state that i have gotten blackout drunk listening to the 2nd Railway LP many times. Commercial? Yes. Cheesy? Yes. Who cares......."Lick It, Stick It" is sleazy and fun!!
:lol:
That's it - I'm off checking the blogs right now...