Underestimated German 80's Scene?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
User avatar
Avenger
Posts: 8188

Post#166 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:03 am

BaronRojo wrote:excuse me for interfering, but this seems to be an 11-paged topic about underated german bands and i cannot see a single mention of the name

UNDERDOG

thank you
Badass.

UPLOADS ARE NEEDED!
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."

User avatar
peterott
Posts: 387
Contact:

Post#167 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:30 pm

No one has mentioned Hellbreath until now. Except for the weaker vocals, this is great Power/Thrash. I like the killer bass-sound on that record.

User avatar
omen of hate
Posts: 6116

Post#168 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:26 pm

peterott wrote:No one has mentioned Hellbreath until now. Except for the weaker vocals, this is great Power/Thrash. I like the killer bass-sound on that record.
The music of this album is good, but the vocals are so horrible that I have some difficulties to listen to it.

User avatar
The Erlking
Posts: 2025

Post#169 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:41 pm

Been listening lately TYRAN' PACE's Long Live Metal

Great album!
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance

User avatar
The Erlking
Posts: 2025

Post#170 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:49 am

OFFTOPIC: Do you guys know any preferably german (epic) metal songs or albums about germanic tribes and the war against roman empire?.. you know goths, gepids, vandals etc. I think that would be a killer theme! 8)
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance

User avatar
DMR
Posts: 614
Contact:

Post#171 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:55 pm

The Erlking wrote:OFFTOPIC: Do you guys know any preferably german (epic) metal songs or albums about germanic tribes and the war against roman empire?.. you know goths, gepids, vandals etc. I think that would be a killer theme! 8)
The only one I know of is Therion's Three Ships of Berik.

User avatar
Sgt. Kuntz
Posts: 1259

Post#172 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:26 pm

The Erlking wrote:OFFTOPIC: Do you guys know any preferably german (epic) metal songs or albums about germanic tribes and the war against roman empire?.. you know goths, gepids, vandals etc. I think that would be a killer theme! 8)
The only bands who sing about these themes are black metal or even NS Black Metal bands, at least from what I now. Must have something to do with the "special" German history.

When we learn something about German history in school, than 95% is about the Third Reich. And the other 5% goes to the Thirty Years' War.
That might be the reason.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst


http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80

User avatar
peterott
Posts: 387
Contact:

Post#173 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:39 pm

Sgt. Kuntz wrote:When we learn something about German history in school, than 95% is about the Third Reich. And the other 5% goes to the Thirty Years' War. That might be the reason.
Then you have probably visited a crappy school, as here it was 50% WWII and 50% Rest Of The History starting from ancient Greece.

Also OFFTOPIC: Has anyone heard the new Necronomicon (GER) CD on Xtreem ?

User avatar
Sgt. Kuntz
Posts: 1259

Post#174 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:39 pm

peterott wrote:
Sgt. Kuntz wrote:When we learn something about German history in school, than 95% is about the Third Reich. And the other 5% goes to the Thirty Years' War. That might be the reason.
Then you have probably visited a crappy school, as here it was 50% WWII and 50% Rest Of The History starting from ancient Greece.
Well, I was talking about German history, not Greece history.
So I still think that the general focus in German history is heavily on WWII, and not much else.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst


http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80

User avatar
peterott
Posts: 387
Contact:

Post#175 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:38 pm

Sgt. Kuntz wrote:Well, I was talking about German history, not Greece history.
So I still think that the general focus in German history is heavily on WWII, and not much else.
Ah, I see. Well yeah, then I would estimate 90% WWII and 10% rest of German history here as well.

User avatar
Sgt. Kuntz
Posts: 1259

Post#176 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:05 pm

I was listening to RAVAGE "Swords and Heroes" today, here are my thoughts of the day:

Another record that goes down to the "not bad, some good moments"-category, nothing really wrong with the songs or the production, but still, i think this record will heavily collect dust in the shelf with many others of that kind, who have a good chance to be nevery played again from me. They (RAVAGE) have a typical German singer, who could sound like your average postman or the plumber in your neighborhood, not like someone who is seriously predestinated to sing in a glorious metal band, you know? All the riffs are generic, nothing you haven't heard before and this is not the worst from here.

If you don't know RAVAGE, replace it with NOISEHUNTER, OUTSIDE, RAVE, TYRAN' PACE, METAL SWORD, TOX, SINNER, RESTLESS, RENEGADE, JACKIE WULF, you get the idea.

And even the better ones are not that special for me, that i feel a vital urge to go home and play them to death, CUTTY SARK, ADRIAN, AIRWOLF, LAZZER, CREATURE, HEADSTONE, CARESS, i like them, really, but i hardly ever play them.

So what do i want to say? Well, it's getin' frustrating, after years of rummaging through the underground, the only 80s metal bands from G. that i still listen to a lot are still the old favorits RUNNING WILD and STORMWITCH and maybe also ATTACK and MANIA. And "Child of Hell" from BLACK FATE (only that song, the rest...)

Does that sound familiar? If not so, blurt out the one band who could change that! Thanks.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst


http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80

User avatar
DaN
Administructor
Posts: 6601
Contact:

Post#177 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:40 pm

First of all Kudos for bumping a great thread. Secondly:
The great disadvantage of 80's German Metal was always that the scene was so huge & cooking that just about every 2-bit-band got signed, in turn diluting the overall quality of their vinyl legacy. Whenever I see people slagging the old German scene I have a tendency to run to its defense though - on a personal level because ACCEPT was such a lifealtering and huge influence on my Metal aesthetics as a kid - but mostly because the quality of the music is so much more diverse than it's getting credit for.

It just saddenes me when people lump together mediocre-to-downright-bad acts like FACT, GRAVESTONE, HUNTER, TRACE, THUNDER, BULLET etc with awesome and outstanding bands like INVADER, HEADSTONE, AIRWOLF, METAL SWORD, NINJA, ATTACK etc, and slag them all just because they happen to originate from the same country ...Not to mention bands like NOISEHUNTER and VETO who had rather weak debuts but then excelled immensely with their sophomore albums...

Haven't heard that RAVAGE album yet though, sorry :wink:
Veterans of the Various-Wars - New Corroseum compilations-compilation series!

User avatar
Trigger
Posts: 856

Post#178 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:59 pm

That "Sword and Heroes" is awesome really,but don't forget Salem's Law,this band could send Blind Guardian back home for playmobile....Calderone made a strong impact to me as well,Flanez,Hammerschmit,Midnight Darkness,Not Fragiile,Unicorn are some great olds that come to mind...
Never trust the Goblin King....

User avatar
Metalhunter
Posts: 164
Contact:

Post#179 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:10 pm

Just wondering that no one had mentioned FAITHFUL BREATH / RISK before??? Ok, the first FB releases are only good Hard / Seventhies / Progrock but "Gold'n Glory" and "Skol" are real killers. Starting to do one of the best german metal releases under the banner of RISK - grrrrrreat :D

User avatar
ION BRITTON
Posts: 6645

Post#180 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:46 am

I don't know if this means something to all, to me it certainly does: Since this thread was opened and having heard lots of stuff, I haven't been able to find more than 3 german demo bands that could appeal to me. On the contrary, I could easily name 30 US demo bands that were absolutely killer. Talking about TONS of mediocre/subpar stuff, wouldn't be very from truth to say that the german underground scene is no longer interesting for me.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests