Iced Earth

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
FuneralCircle

Iced Earth

Post by FuneralCircle »

I won't lie, I really like the first few Iced Earth releases (not really into Burnt Offerings...), but who else likes this band? Their debut album has some really awesome moments, and Night of the Stormrider is almost as good but not quite, since it has a few moments on it which I think are a little awkward, it's hard to explain. The "ENTER THE REALM" demo is great, but god damn there are too many songs named "Solitude" :lol:
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

First three are killer, especially Night of the stormrider. A few good tracks on The dark saga as well, but they lost it after that.

Join us in our never ending journey
Into the burning lake of fire
Let us fill your helpless soul
FILL IT WITH SWEET DESIRE!
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
FuneralCircle

Post by FuneralCircle »

Am I really missing something with Burnt Offerings? I've had it for ages on CD but never really liked it, maybe I'll revisit it and let you know how it goes.

They really lost it after... :lol:
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Very dark album, the atmosphere is almost deathmetallic. Barlow's voice is not anything extremely special, but it fits very well on this album. No balladesque tracks ala ''I died for you'' yet and many of the riffs are killer, so there's nothing really wrong with the album.
Last edited by ION BRITTON on Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

Burnt Offerings is their best because it has a real singer, but musically I like a lot the first two too - most of the riffing is insanely fast, I kinda lost my wrist trying to emulate that xD !

I loved them until Something Wicked... then starting from The Horror Show they went down until today nothingness, the man has totally lost his creative touch I guess :?
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

One of my fave bands until the late 90s or so. Then i couldn't believe how bad they became, pure horror show for me! The first three albums totally slay, then it's like the worse they played, the bigger they became, it was really weird.

"Night of the Stormrider" was for me their magnum opus, perfect album.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Eyes, lies
I curse the skies!

The debut is mouthwateringly sweet. I agree with the notion that the first three are awesome and what came after is best left nowhere.
Lama

Post by Lama »

One time I was a huge Iced Earth-fan, but I lost interest in them after "Horror Show", although I liked that album. Everything I heard by them after that record sounded quite dull to my ears. I can 't say I've listened to any IE-record since 2002 or so... Heard them too much in the late nineties I think...they were everywhere back then! Don't really like that Schaffer-dude also. He seriously lost track, and not only musicwise.
Kampel Destruction
FuneralCircle

Post by FuneralCircle »

Just listened to Burnt offerings, actually not as bad as I remember it being! You're right about the feeling of it being "Death metal" almost, I can 100& see what you mean there. I still think their debut is the best though.
dford

Post by dford »

Never payed much attention to them but every time I hear them it seems like they are playing the same riffs over and over again. I own Night of the Stormrider and The Glorious Burden. Went and put on Stormrider as I'm typing this, first song was always great, have to see how the rest holds up.
Keir

Post by Keir »

Night Of The Stormrider is my favorite IE album, and an absolute classic in my opinion. I remember liking Burnt Offerings, but at the same time being disappointed in the direction they were headed. I gave up on them after that, though lately I've been hearing some of their "newer" material and thinking it's not so bad just different.
dford

Post by dford »

Played both cd's I have by them(well, most of each one), enjoyed each initially but got bored after a few songs. Threw on Brocas Helm instead.... Into Battle ........!
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

dford wrote:Played both cd's I have by them(well, most of each one), enjoyed each initially but got bored after a few songs. Threw on Brocas Helm instead.... Into Battle ........!
They are totally different ... you can't do such kind of comparison :p

Btw, Brocas Helm got me bored after a few songs, funny eh :) ?
Marken

Post by Marken »

I am a big fan of the first five. The debut is the best one. Schaffer really knew how to riff at that time. Then came the horrible Horror Show and ruined everything.
I actually like The Glorious Burden quite a bit. The last two are average. The great riffing of Schaffer is gone.

When it comes to favoritesongs When the Night Falls, Pure Evil, Dante's Inferno and The Hunter deserves a mention.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Helstar wrote:
Btw, Brocas Helm got me bored after a few songs, funny eh :) ?
just sad