M. ROAD - Dreams Of Eschaton v/s Mark of the Beast?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
ION BRITTON

M. ROAD - Dreams Of Eschaton v/s Mark of the Beast?

Post by ION BRITTON »

Split from Warepire's wantlist-thread/aDmiN
Warepire wrote:Manilla Road (USA) - Dreams Of Eschaton (1999) - Metal Invader Greece [Needs the back cover, someone before me ruined it with a coffee-like beverage]
I suppose you know that this is an unofficial release. It is basically the Mark of the beast album with bad sound and a few tracks missing, why would anyone want that? Are you a MR completist?
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Warepire

Re: My too big search list.

Post by Warepire »

ION BRITTON wrote:
Warepire wrote:Manilla Road (USA) - Dreams Of Eschaton (1999) - Metal Invader Greece [Needs the back cover, someone before me ruined it with a coffee-like beverage]
I suppose you know that this is an unofficial release. It is basically the Mark of the beast album with bad sound and a few tracks missing, why would anyone want that? Are you a MR completist?
I know very well what it is. I've had it as mp3 for 5 years and as a CD (but with the back cover missing) for almost a year now.

Mark of the Beast is remastered and even partially re-recorded. Even though the sound is terrible on this bootleg from Metal Invader Greece it is the original sound. If you look at the TAPES part you will see a Manilla Road tape limited to 1 copy. A gift from the band to someone named Bill Burkard... It's the songs on that tape that later where remastered, partially re-recorded and released as Mark of the Beast.

Also I have a little of a soft spot for rare or out-of-the-ordinary stuff.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Warepire wrote: Mark of the Beast is remastered and even partially re-recorded. Even though the sound is terrible on this bootleg from Metal Invader Greece it is the original sound.
How can this be the original sound, I don't understand what you're saying.

The Metal Invader bootleg sounds like a 5th generation copy, the speed is different and probably not the correct one. The sound on Monster's release is much better, but not perfect, different source definitely, not the same with Metal Invader's.

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

ION BRITTON wrote:
Warepire wrote: Mark of the Beast is remastered and even partially re-recorded. Even though the sound is terrible on this bootleg from Metal Invader Greece it is the original sound.
How can this be the original sound, I don't understand what you're saying.

The Metal Invader bootleg sounds like a 5th generation copy, the speed is different and probably not the correct one. The sound on Monster's release is much better, but not perfect, different source definitely, not the same with Metal Invader's.
By original sound I meant original mastering.
Still, the Monster release (Mark of the Beast) is remastered and partially re-recorded as I said in the previous reply, also Monster Records had access to the original tape if I remember right. Metal Invader Greece clearly had not as they only released the A-side.

Here is a photo of the original tape that I am talking about:
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Warepire wrote: Still, the Monster release (Mark of the Beast) is remastered and partially re-recorded as I said in the previous reply, also Monster Records had access to the original tape if I remember right. Metal Invader Greece clearly had not as they only released the A-side.
Warepire wrote:Even though the sound is terrible on this bootleg from Metal Invader Greece it is the original sound
:?:

GJ

Post by GJ »

Forging the rookie Ion?

Btw, is there any reliable info on the net about this supposed partial re-recording of MotB? Complete news to me if it's true.
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

ION BRITTON wrote:
Warepire wrote: Still, the Monster release (Mark of the Beast) is remastered and partially re-recorded as I said in the previous reply, also Monster Records had access to the original tape if I remember right. Metal Invader Greece clearly had not as they only released the A-side.
Warepire wrote:Even though the sound is terrible on this bootleg from Metal Invader Greece it is the original sound
:?:
I don't get the fuzz about this anyway, I already have the bootleg but the back cover is ruined, so I am looking for a back cover only. Not the entire thing.

If it bothers you so much that I have this item in my wishlist... maybe we can continue this over PM.
GJ wrote:Forging the rookie Ion?

Btw, is there any reliable info on the net about this supposed partial re-recording of MotB? Complete news to me if it's true.
I cannot remember where I read this, it was several years ago. If I find the source of information I will send it to you.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Baah, as far as I know, things are not exactly as described above and I'm trying to find out what's going on.

I have to look again the text inside Monster's release, but I'm almost sure that Metal Invader did not put the recordings of the aforementioned tape on that boot CD, those were simply the songs of 5-6th generation copy and it was missing three tracks.
As I far as I remember, those songs were not officially release back then, the guy from Monster Records who died some years ago (RIP) had contacted Mark Shelton back then asking if there was more material that was in the vein of the first album and out of the blue Mark Shelton sent him a tape with the songs you can hear on Mark of the beast. That tape was then sent to John Perez of Solitude Aeturnus who then sent it to some of his closer friends and so on. The songs on Metal Invader's cd were obviously not from that very first tape, there's a big difference in the sound quality, that's why I'm trying to find out why Warepire says that the MI cd is supposed to have the 'original sound'. I don't recall anything about rerecorded parts but I'll have to check again.

ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Quoted from the notes of Mark of the beast

"Years later, some low-quality, billionth-generation version of the tape was bootleged on cd by some Greek magazine. It only featured half the songs, had horrible sound, and some absolutely ridiculous cover art of Cinderella's Castle!"

"After the Greek debacle, Mark figured it was just about time to give the thiing a proper release. It took us a while to try and get the sound quality up to par, as the musty old master tapes had some very serious problems."

And nothing about rerecorded parts on Phil Baker's notes.

Warepire

Post by Warepire »

ION BRITTON wrote:Quoted from the notes of Mark of the beast

"Years later, some low-quality, billionth-generation version of the tape was bootleged on cd by some Greek magazine. It only featured half the songs, had horrible sound, and some absolutely ridiculous cover art of Cinderella's Castle!"

"After the Greek debacle, Mark figured it was just about time to give the thiing a proper release. It took us a while to try and get the sound quality up to par, as the musty old master tapes had some very serious problems."

And nothing about rerecorded parts on Phil Baker's notes.
First I know that the songs on the bootleg play at wrong speed and clearly are not from the original tape as the bootleg only has the A-side, so comparing them with MotB isn't going to do much good... But here are the songs of the tape and the MotB album compared in play length:

All tracks begin and end when "they are supposed" to. Avatar here is for example 30 seconds longer on MotB than the tape. And as far as I can tell they play at the same speed. Also there are parts on the tape that sound slightly different compared to the MotB album, and I don't mean different in a restored-sound-kind-of-way.

Maybe I'm just splitting hairs though.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

If that's the picture of the actual master tape,it's the source that Monster Records used to put out MOTB, according to Phil Baker. I don't know why the times are different, maybe they fixed the speed based on Shelton's directions during the process of remastering, just a guess.
But to have different versions of the songs on the tape and on Monster's release, I find it very unlikely, if that's what you're implying comparing the durations of the tracks.

Warepire

Post by Warepire »

ION BRITTON wrote:If that's the picture of the actual master tape,it's the source that Monster Records used to put out MOTB, according to Phil Baker. I don't know why the times are different, maybe they fixed the speed based on Shelton's directions during the process of remastering, just a guess.
But to have different versions of the songs on the tape and on Monster's release, I find it very unlikely, if that's what you're implying comparing the durations of the tracks.
The only thing I was showing was that (all) the songs cannot be the original mastering as in a few cases like the Avatar song it is shorter on the tape.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I think Dennis from Rockadrome is registered here, I guess he can answer that easily. I think his username is Capricorn, you can PM him and find out what's the story with those tracks.

GJ

Post by GJ »

This is probably interesting to more people around here. Could you split it into a separate thread?
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I am not moderating this subforum so I can't do it, Avenger, The Knell or Dan can though.