Thor- Only the Strong

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
mustardgasattack

Thor- Only the Strong

Post by mustardgasattack »

OK so I realize this guy has put out a lot of really shitty music and been in a lot of terrible(yet great) movies, but I like him and I like this LP a lot. It might not be the most "kult" LP ever, and there is some filler, but there are some fucking killer songs on here too, like the title track, Start Raising Hell, Knock Em Down, Let the Blood Run Red, When Gods Collide.....pretty much every song (except "Rock the City" and "Now Comes the Storm") is good to great. I also think it rules that this dude doesn't take himself very seriously and is fairly self aware of his absurdity. HAIL THE ROCK WARRIOR!!!!
Cyrcka

Post by Cyrcka »

A killer record!!! One of my all time faves and the only one that i like from mighty Thor
mustardgasattack

Some of his other records are good in a dumb funny way, but this is def is crowning metal moment I'd say.
FuneralCircle

Post by FuneralCircle »

I was fortunate enough to catch THOR's live show here in Vancouver, that was great!

This is one of my all-time favorite albums, and perhaps my favorite Canadian metal album? Sure it isn't super cult, but who cares? It's just so damn ballsy and every song on it rips everything apart!!!
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

I'm with you. He had other moments which were OK, but on this one it really came together. You do need a pinch of salt with it, and for a few years I didn't really listen to it at all. Been rediscovering it now though, and it really is a Great Metal Record.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
mustardgasattack

Agreed! I don't think I will ever be able to get the title track, Start Raising Hell or Hot Flames out of my head ever.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I'm still not able to listen seriously to any THOR album.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

FuneralCircle wrote:perhaps my favorite Canadian metal album?
Seriously? Not that it's a bad album, but why?
Last edited by Avenger on Sun May 02, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

ION BRITTON wrote:I'm still not able to listen seriously to any THOR album.
:(
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Avenger wrote:
FuneralCircle wrote:perhaps my favorite Canadian metal album?
Seriously? Not that it's a bad album, but why?
thank you for participating Deaf Dealer,Kraken and Sacrifice:lol: :P
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Razor haters.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Black Axe wrote:Razor haters.
fuck, i forgot that one!, Thank you for your participation too Razor
FuneralCircle

Post by FuneralCircle »

I don't know what it is about it, yeah sure there are other great Canadian acts, hell even from Vancouver like Black knight and Assault... but there was always something about Only the Strong that clicked very well with me, it's just a damn great album, and an all-time favorite.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

FuneralCircle wrote:I don't know what it is about it, yeah sure there are other great Canadian acts, hell even from Vancouver like Black knight and Assault... but there was always something about Only the Strong that clicked very well with me, it's just a damn great album, and an all-time favorite.
ok,without being harsh, i actually worship Ride of the Chariots among my top 10 canadisn metal songs
mordred

Post by mordred »

Fucking amazing record for sure. There are other good moments in the vast Thor output as well but this is easily the most consistent and most glorious. There is no way of joking with flawless metal anthems like "Ride of the Chariots", "Let the Blood Run Red", "When Goods Collide" and "Thunder on the Tundra". I don't think it's too bold to call it the best Canadian record, myself I'd take Forged in Fire over it, but it definitely belongs to the Canadian elite.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D