Recurring Lyrical Themes in Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
nightsblood

Recurring Lyrical Themes in Metal

Post by nightsblood »

Random question, but why is it that certain lyrical themes get used so much in Heavy Metal? The two I'm thinking of specifically are medieval warrior themes and BDSM.

The medieval fantasy imagry is one of the mainstays of heavy metal music. Be it vikings, axemen, enchanted swords, templars, hobbits, albino elves, dragons, knights, castles, etc., I'd wager this is the most popular lyrical topic for heavy metal bands over the years. What I wonder is- why? How many people are really that obsessed with ye old sword 'n sorcery when it doesn't come packaged in a Manilla Road or Omen album? Are that many metalheads closet D&D fans? I have nothing against the subject matter, I just wonder why it makes up such a huge hcunk of the metal universe.

Same with BDSM- while sex always sells, are there really that many headbangers out there that get all tingly hearing about women wielding whips and handcuffs? Again, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the subject matter, but it surprises me at how many bands had at least one 'dominatrix' song in the ir catalog back in the 80s (not sure this theme gets used as much in metal songwriting nowadays)

Any thoughts? I'll check back after my Cimmerian role-playing session is over; today it's my 10th-level barbarian cleric's turn to be put on the rack by Mistress Spanksalot :shock:
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
hload

Post by hload »

because pop usually takes all the other themes from twinkies to peeps...
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Because heavy metal, like classical music, appeals to more well read people who've read a lot of literature from Lovecraft, Howard, Tolkien etc. Which inspired some people who didn't read that much to write more basic songs about war and battle.

And the BDSM theme comes from the leather aspect that Bob Halford introduced in the 70s and inspired people. And since most of 'em were not gay they thought of dominatrix themed lyrics.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

this is one of the things that you will never quiet understand unless we travel back in time....other than that, sending a list of questions regarding the topic to bands still playing today but started in the early 80s
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Image wise, both of these "themes" were/are widely associated with Metal music and like any movement are recycled over and over again by those that came after the first few that started doing it. I don't know if it's necessarily "BDSM" but rather women in general but that along with the medieval, dungeons and dragons type stuff just seems to impulsively fall into place. Metal is predominantly a male, macho musical form, so it's just natural that such characteristics would be so widely seen in the lyrical content of the genre.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
hload

Post by hload »

Black Axe wrote:Because heavy metal, like classical music, appeals to more well read people who've read a lot of literature from Lovecraft, Howard, Tolkien etc. Which inspired some people who didn't read that much to write more basic songs about war and battle.

And the BDSM theme comes from the leather aspect that Bob Halford introduced in the 70s and inspired people. And since most of 'em were not gay they thought of dominatrix themed lyrics.

actually well read people don't consider( i agree partially) all the writers you mentioned as pure literature.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

hload wrote:
Black Axe wrote:Because heavy metal, like classical music, appeals to more well read people who've read a lot of literature from Lovecraft, Howard, Tolkien etc. Which inspired some people who didn't read that much to write more basic songs about war and battle.

actually well read people don't consider( i agree partially) all the writers you mentioned as pure literature.
Some well read people, not the guys who wrote the lyrics inspired by said writers.
mustardgasattack

Post by mustardgasattack »

I always thought it was cool when metal bands wrote about:
-Breaking out of jail
-Driving fast at night
-Drugs
-Drinking
MEXDefenderOfSteel

mustardgasattack wrote:I always thought it was cool when metal bands wrote about:
-Breaking out of jail
-Driving fast at night
-Drugs
-Drinking
the spirit of rebellion!=HM
DMR

Post by DMR »

mustardgasattack wrote:I always thought it was cool when metal bands wrote about:
-Breaking out of jail
-Driving fast at night
-Drugs
-Drinking
I'm sick and tired of hearing songs about stuff like that.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

the political criticism,coming specially from thrash bands from the late 80s was a big lyrical theme too, some were very well written,example Toxik-Think This album
GJ

Post by GJ »

I've liked Children of the Damned by Iron Maiden ever since I was a little Child of the Damned myself, apart from that I've never really cared that much about lyrics. Used to like early Sabbath and Priest lyrics back in 1987 because they weren't very 1987:

"Synchronated undertaker
Spiral skies
Silver ships on plasmic oceans
In disguise"

"Robot minds of robot slaves lead them to atomic rage
plastic flowers, melting sun, fading moon falls upon"

"Synchronized watches
Flash in the sunlight
As into the battle
We all are led"

"Skyrider, you supersonic flyer
Nightdriver, you demon of desire
Spinesnapper, you tried your best to break us
Throatchoker, you thought that you could take us"

Edit: adding the words "that much" fearing I would seem to be the ultimate moron, ignorant, idiot... around here - which might still be true no matter my efforts. I should be glad this place is severely impregnated by love and open minds
Last edited by GJ on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:the political criticism,coming specially from thrash bands from the late 80s was a big lyrical theme too, some were very well written,example Toxik-Think This album
Another big lyrical theme for thrash bands in the 80's was nuclear weapons and nuclear war.
FuneralCircle

Post by FuneralCircle »

MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:the political criticism,coming specially from thrash bands from the late 80s was a big lyrical theme too, some were very well written,example Toxik-Think This album
Admittedly, I hate all the political criticism in all music thus far. It's all too radical, addresses too many problems that are far too obvious without suggesting any remedies (well to their credit, who would listen? They're metalheads, not scientists or politicians!), but that has never stopped me from enjoying great bands like DISCHARGE who are one of my favorites, even though they are so political.

That is okay though, I love metal because of the imagery and escapism, I can come to terms that most metalheads are NOT skeptics, hard-science atheists like myself, and I often get strange looks from many metalheads because I don't believe in anything supernatural, I don't care about culture/tradition/heritage that much (Yeah, I'm fine living in 2010 over any other age, except maybe having been 16 in 1984...?), and my political feelings would never make a great metal song. Who would want to hear a song about social democracy and criticism of unrestrained capitalism and libertarian nonsense? :lol:

So, yes - I like the fantasy and the escapism the most. I like the songs by Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol, the vibrant colors that I see in my head from listening to Black Sabbath, or the dark aura of Doom Metal bands, no matter if it's fantastic (candlemass) or realistic/personal (Saint Vitus).

Damn, I must be pushing my luck on this board... :lol:
daniel

Post by daniel »

You might be pushing your luck on Miskatonic, but fortunately this place is far more 'open-minded' in the RIGHT way.

I'd post more thoughts but I'm restless and drinking.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.