Raven vs Anvil

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

Which band do you prefer?

Raven
23%
Anvil
44%
Both
25%
None
9%

Total votes: 57

GJ

Post by GJ »

The new Raven - Walk Through Fire is really good (at first listen): lots and lots of catchy riffs and also John Gallagher's voice has matured well. It's in fact the early Raven stuff that sometimes bothers me in that department (the vocals).

Check out the album track Attitude on Myspace
msp

Post by msp »

Anvil for me.

Remember standing in a bar in 2002 with my mate totally drunk both singing "Metal on Metal" really loud. Don't think there was anyone near us within a 5m radius

Can't say I ever cared for Raven that much. I don't think they are crap or anything but always give me a :| reaction
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

Wow, man ! That's a hard one ! I love both, so I'll vote "Both" !!! With a slight preference for ANVIL. If ANVIL has released some average albums throughout their whole carreer, they never released bad albums, and RAVEN does. They released two bad albums, the awful "The Pack is Back" and "Stay Hard" which is hardly better. But, they're both great bands !!

I agree completely.
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Going against the grain here. I voted Raven, partly to state a point. It's true Anvil never reached the lows Raven did with the Pack or Stay Hard, but then I only really loved Forged in Fire. All the first three Raven albums are classics for me. The hyperactive playing, the incredibly raw vocals, the utter chaos, I just have to choose Raven.

Had I been asked around 1985 though, I would have answered Anvil, but to me, their first two albums haven't stood the test of time that well and after that there was something lacking. Raven haven't been much better, but I've upgraded my opinion on their early stuff.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

Raven for me.... I really worship Anvil and they're everything metal is about (first three that is) but Raven always made me go nuts with their "over the top" insane musical delivery. First two Raven lps are the definition of "no one to match them" lps ,(first three Anvil lps come close though). To my ears ,if Anvil are "hard" metal then Raven are the fuckin' horsemen chopping your heads off!

TYRANT OF THE AIRWAYS
NO TURNING BACK 'CAUSE HE'S ON THE ATTACK

TYRANT OF THE AIRWAYS
GONNA TEAR YOU APART AND RIP OUT YOUR HEART
All i need is a lady
With more than the average size
DMR

Post by DMR »

I never got into either band. They're both pretty good, they just never did anything for me.
Astra Wally

Post by Astra Wally »

ANVIL 100%

Never been a big Raven fan
Heaven is yours, Hell is mine
hload

Post by hload »

meaningless topic, like mausoleum's desicion to drop anvil, when they released my personal best of them, which reached golden status in japan...thankfully i saw them with t.force during their tour for first time...
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Both bands released total classics during they're early years so I had to go with "both".

Now to stir the pot a bit, if you had to choose between the two following video clips which would you go with? Both are from times when each band was in decline from the great previous works and you can definately see them going in a commercial direction.

Anvil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD8P7aNGbt8

Raven:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh8XGJsHZC4
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Avenger wrote:Both bands released total classics during they're early years so I had to go with "both".

Now to stir the pot a bit, if you had to choose between the two following video clips which would you go with? Both are from times when each band was in decline from the great previous works and you can definately see them going in a commercial direction.

Anvil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD8P7aNGbt8

Raven:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh8XGJsHZC4
Raven for sure!
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I've chosen both. Anvil is just excellent and Raven released one of the best live albums: Live at the Inferno.
Long Live The Loud !!!
msp

Post by msp »

msp wrote:Can't say I ever cared for Raven that much. I don't think they are crap or anything but always give me a :| reaction
Following my quote above I went back at the weekend and played "Architect of Fear" Lp for the first time in ages. Well dry bum me with a cucumber it was far better than I remember. I think I need to go back and revisit Raven!
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

The Sentinel wrote:I've chosen both. Anvil is just excellent and Raven released one of the best live albums: Live at the Inferno.
Yes, "Live at the Inferno" is one of the best live album ever released imo !
nabel

Post by nabel »

Anvil has more quality albums but they don't have a total killer like Wiped Out. That album just rules, crazy hyperactive madness. Everything just clicks on it. Metal On Metal LP comes close but not close enough.

But still I voted both.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

I was just listening to All For One and noticed that on one the insert photos John was wearing an Anvil shirt. :D